Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Besides qualifying how are hundreds of people getting to race Kona?
Quote | Reply
I’m sure this has been discussed before. I did a search and couldn’t find it

Ok lottery and corporate but come on there are a lot more who no way qualified even with roll downs

Looking at the times of many racers how do so many get in who never could have qualified even with roll down slots?

Yes there are a few corporate and some lottery but take a look there are many who don’t make the cut off times.

Ok yes there are some who qualify and then get injured or don’t train But take a look we are talking people who weigh 250 and more whose time are so slow they had to have gotten in some other way.

Not jealous as I would not want to do a full IM.

BUT am very curious
Last edited by: RBR: Oct 13, 18 6:45
Quote Reply
Re: Besides qualifying how are hundreds of people getting to race Kona? [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Legacy slots are some of those atypical Kona racers. Do enough IMs without KQing, and you get one shot at Kona.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: Besides qualifying how are hundreds of people getting to race Kona? [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buying 10k Ventum bikes.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope to have a life threatening accident or disease some day so I can have a good victim story for the broadcast.
Quote Reply
Re: Besides qualifying how are hundreds of people getting to race Kona? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
I hope to have a life threatening accident or disease some day so I can have a good victim story for the broadcast.

Pretty well guaranteed you will have life threatening disease someday.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:

Ok lottery and corporate but come on there are a lot more who no way qualified even with roll downs

Looking at the times of many racers how do so many get in who never could have qualified even with roll down slots?

Yes there are a few corporate and some lottery but take a look there are many who don’t make the cut off times.

Ok yes there are some who qualify and then get injured or don’t train But take a look we are talking people who weigh 250 and more whose time are so slow they had to have gotten in some other way.

BUT am very curious

Messick said that 95% are qualified and 5% are other routes. So if the race is 2500 (let's keep the numbers easy) 125 are not qualified.
Quote Reply
Re: Besides qualifying how are hundreds of people getting to race Kona? [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:
RBR wrote:

BUT am very curious

Messick said that 95% are qualified and 5% are other routes. So if the race is 2500 (let's keep the numbers easy) 125 are not qualified.

And people on ST waste 100% of their time bitching about that small 5%[/reply]
Quote Reply
Re: Besides qualifying how are hundreds of people getting to race Kona? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Oh, I had the first one in May...but I'm definitely not in shape to race...

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Besides qualifying how are hundreds of people getting to race Kona? [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would guess it is more like 10% and Messick is being very loose with his definition of qualifying. E.g., he is most likely counting Legacy as "qualifying". Unless he shows the numbers then I say it is higher than 5%.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Oct 13, 18 14:50
Quote Reply
Re: Besides qualifying how are hundreds of people getting to race Kona? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, "qualifiying" can be a very generous term if you want it to be because as you state the legacy pathway also "qualifies" you for the race.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the 11 official ways that you can get to Kona.
http://asia.ironman.com/...a.aspx#axzz5TlCgLl9H

There are also sponsor slots.
Quote Reply
Re: Besides qualifying how are hundreds of people getting to race Kona? [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The prince of Bahrain qualified through the military division. That method of qualification is not listed in the link that you have. Perhaps there are also a few other ways that are missing ... like corporate sponsor slot (i.e., Ventrum. I'm sure Amazon got a few slots for their employees with their sponsorship this year).

Ironnerd wrote:

Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:

Besides legacy that only has 25 extra spots
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

Downhill skiing accident perhaps...?

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: Besides qualifying how are hundreds of people getting to race Kona? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I would guess it is more like 10% and Messick is being very loose with his definition of qualifying. E.g., he is most likely counting Legacy as "qualifying". Unless he shows the numbers then I say it is higher than 5%.

Based on the number of fatasses I saw on the course today, I'd say that 10% is a fair guess.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was hard to watch and wtf were they continuing to go the the people that couldn’t swim sub 2’20” on the telecast?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: Besides qualifying how are hundreds of people getting to race Kona? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m curious to learn how the XC “qualifying” works. I believe you commit to race in multiple races, pay for the VIP treatment, and collect points. As with Bahrain military slots*, it creates the illusion of accomplishment.

*Nasser was pretty legit today, so that criticism can be walked back a bit
Quote Reply