Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bermuda WTS Start Lists Are Up
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Bermuda WTS Start Lists Are Up [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe due to Yokohama in a couple weeks and it’s still early in year for a lot of the people.

I looked at the schedule, even with how good the US women have been the last few years we still can’t get a race here constantly that’s really sad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard to tell from the website what the course profile looks like. Interesting that Taylor Knibb is racing during the middle of the NCAA track season, but I guess it makes sense since its a quick trip.
Quote Reply
Re: Bermuda WTS Start Lists Are Up [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:
Hard to tell from the website what the course profile looks like. Interesting that Taylor Knibb is racing during the middle of the NCAA track season, but I guess it makes sense since its a quick trip.

It's lumpy on the bike. one short steep climb (Corkscrew Hill) and an bunch of rollers along the backside of the course, with a flattish stretch along Front Street.

Run course (if its the same as the age groupers course) is pretty flat. There's a slight grade to it, but there aren't any real hills except Queen St, which is going down towards the harbour. And that's not very long.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bit off topic, but anyone know why there is 8 weeks between the two first races than no more than 4 between the rest???

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Bermuda WTS Start Lists Are Up [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd guess temperature would be a consideration. I imagine that Abu Dhabi gets pretty hot.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Bermuda WTS Start Lists Are Up [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Dan made a comment on the whole process if I remember correctly in either early 2016 or late 2015, and I think every race we've had at the WTS level has lost LOTS of money. So I think the big thing is that these races have to have 6000 AG'ers attached to it, or it's a headache for the local RD/federation/itu. No one wants to put on that type of venue and effort and leave with nothing to show for it.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Small yes, but most of the top women are there except Klammer (I think she is not on the list) and a couple other. Duffy, Zaferes, Kasper and several other top 10 regulars are in the field. Expect Duffy to do her thing...

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Bermuda WTS Start Lists Are Up [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
USCoregonian wrote:

It's lumpy on the bike. one short steep climb (Corkscrew Hill) and an bunch of rollers along the backside of the course, with a flattish stretch along Front Street.

Run course (if its the same as the age groupers course) is pretty flat. There's a slight grade to it, but there aren't any real hills except Queen St, which is going down towards the harbour. And that's not very long.

They do 4 laps for the pros or is that only AGers? I know my wife is looking forward to the 4 times up corkscrew in our relay race but I always thought the pros did around 7-9 laps of things typically so not sure if it's a different course.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Bermuda WTS Start Lists Are Up [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elite course is slightly different, (by slightly, I mean that they've chopped off a total of about 6k from the ends and kept the middle) and it looks like they're doing 10 loops. Elite Transition area is in the customary spot for local tri's in the city, but the AG one looks like it's a long run up Queen St to get to T1.

That hill is really gonna hurt for the pros

Eilte course here -->
http://wts-assets.triathlon.org/bermuda/TRI_BERMUDA_ELITE_GROUP_COURSE_2018_Totem.pdf

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Mar 28, 18 10:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:

if you'd like to see the course, here it is.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:

They do 4 laps for the pros or is that only AGers? I know my wife is looking forward to the 4 times up corkscrew in our relay race but I always thought the pros did around 7-9 laps of things typically so not sure if it's a different course.

According to the website, the elites do 10 4K loops on the bike. The AGers are doing four 10K loops.
Quote Reply
Re: Bermuda WTS Start Lists Are Up [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Elite course is slightly different, (by slightly, I mean that they've chopped off a total of about 6k from the ends and kept the middle) and it looks like they're doing 10 loops. Elite Transition area is in the customary spot for local tri's in the city, but the AG one looks like it's a long run up Queen St to get to T1.

Eilte course here -->
http://wts-assets.triathlon.org/bermuda/TRI_BERMUDA_ELITE_GROUP_COURSE_2018_Totem.pdf

Ouch. I hope I get a good spot along the corkscrew to watch the pro race!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Bermuda WTS Start Lists Are Up [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
hadukla wrote:

According to the website, the elites do 10 4K loops on the bike. The AGers are doing four 10K loops.

yeah. the pro race is going to be a true race. a true bike race. i was there, i went up corkscrew hill. imagine nevada city classic, if you're an old time roadie. maybe explains why there's a more meager women's field? you want to try to race flora there?

but if you're a strong rider! i can see a 3min break here. this one'll be worth watching.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Eilte course here -->

Ouch. I hope I get a good spot along the corkscrew to watch the pro race!

You'd better get there early. I mean ridiculously early. Locals will be out in force to watch the race, and that is a narrow road. Cliff on one side, wall on the other, and zero shoulder, with narrow lanes.

The one thing that might work in your favour is that it isn't on the run course, so most fans are gonna be lined up along front st / east broadway.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Mar 28, 18 11:05
Quote Reply
Re: Bermuda WTS Start Lists Are Up [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
A bit off topic, but anyone know why there is 8 weeks between the two first races than no more than 4 between the rest???

It's the Commonwealth Games at the start of April; men and women's individual races on the 5th and Mixed Relay on the 7th.

If they had a race that clashed with that the field would be basically non-existent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:

IIRC Taylor and Flora are both coached by Neil Henderson. Taylor has an excellent swim and bike that meshes very nicely with Flora's so I'd be surprised if they didn't go off the front together with great success.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Bermuda WTS Start Lists Are Up [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
Small yes, but most of the top women are there except Klammer (I think she is not on the list) and a couple other. Duffy, Zaferes, Kasper and several other top 10 regulars are in the field. Expect Duffy to do her thing...
Klamer is on there too.
Quote Reply
Re: Bermuda WTS Start Lists Are Up [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flora isn't with Neal anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Bermuda WTS Start Lists Are Up [FyreHaar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FyreHaar wrote:

Good to know. Do you know who her new coach is.?

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Bermuda WTS Start Lists Are Up [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Maybe due to Yokohama in a couple weeks and it’s still early in year for a lot of the people.

I looked at the schedule, even with how good the US women have been the last few years we still can’t get a race here constantly that’s really sad

Commonwealth games start next week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, I heard some chatter that it is her fiance now, but I have no confirmation on that.
Quote Reply
Re: Bermuda WTS Start Lists Are Up [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I think Dan made a comment on the whole process if I remember correctly in either early 2016 or late 2015, and I think every race we've had at the WTS level has lost LOTS of money. So I think the big thing is that these races have to have 6000 AG'ers attached to it, or it's a headache for the local RD/federation/itu. No one wants to put on that type of venue and effort and leave with nothing to show for it.

Yikes, that’s a rough business model to need 6k people to be profitable. I don’t even think St. Anthony’s gets that anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a weird spot in the schedule. 3 weeks after commonwealth games in Aus and 2 weeks before Japan. That is a lot of time zones. Basically prohibitive to do all 3 races. Looks like almost all the Aussie and Kiwi athletes are skipping Bermuda. I don’t envy the travel schedule of a WTS level athlete that’s for sure. Nor do I envy the schedule makers at ITU. Is there another sport in the world that is so “world wide” yet so small. It is unlike cycling which is so European based with only small forays elsewhere. Or soccer with the all the national based leagues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
FyreHaar wrote:

Good to know. Do you know who her new coach is.?

I thought I had heard it was Dan Hugo as well. They got married in December.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply

Prev Next