Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Berd Polyethlene Spokes
Quote | Reply
Hello All,

Saving 200 grams per wheel .... "PolyLight spokes significantly improve the damping of road vibrations, which makes for a noticeably smoother ride and reduces rider fatigue. Now you can rider faster and farther!"

Berd polyethylene spokes sound good.

https://www.berdspokes.com/

Do they need streamlining?

From 'April Bicycle Retailer' ...

https://read.dmtmag.com/...-00b18f55aa-28958781

You may remember some fiber spokes a few decades ago that had great promise .... but would shatter from a hard sideways blow ..... hopefully these have passes some impact, abrasion, and cutting tests.

The literature on the website states: "PolyLight spokes are significantly lighter than the lightest high-end spokes available. Despite their incredibly low weight, PolyLight spokes are also extremely strong. In fact, they are stronger than most spokes on the market today."

and "Strength and weight are not everything. PolyLight Spokes are also designed to take anything you can throw at them. They are impervious to UV exposure and moisture and resistant to general wear and tear and impact."

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Berd Polyethlene Spokes [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like you lose the benefits of blades spokes, and you can get the same benefit from running your tires at the proper pressure
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:

Are they really polyethylene? That generally has a low strength. I think it must be an unusual polymer if it has that much strength and only a 1.8mm center diameter. And that price!

I think creep would be an issue. No mention of that on the site. Otherwise... maybe? Would be good for offroad wheels if they work as described.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:

These were already discussed in this thread some time ago. They still do not sound good to me...
Last edited by: marcofoils: Apr 2, 19 23:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the dystopian future where steel spokes actually begin to snap at the midsection, fibrous spokes will find a reason to exist.

Until then, they will remain as they are, screaming exaltations of tensile strength into the cosmos and receiving silence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All other queries aside, at $8/spoke I have zero interest.
What's that, about triple the price of Sapim CX Ray?
Quote Reply
Re: Berd Polyethlene Spokes [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Yeah, but you only need one per wheel, just lace it up like a shoe...
Quote Reply
Re: Berd Polyethlene Spokes [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:

Their website is advertising a wheelset rebuild for $600 so that's $12 a spoke on a 24-spoke wheelset. That does not include a service on the hubs etc. If any other shop is charging a fitting fee of $4+ per/spoke when building a wheel I would be astounded. The cost of the average alloy wheelset is about $4 a spoke and $12 a spoke will just about buy a used set of Zipps.
Quote Reply