Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bent Cowhorns
Quote | Reply
This afternoon after riding in Central Park I came to a stop light and removed my right foot from my petal but all my weight went the other way so I tipped over on my left side. After thrashing about on 5th Avenue like a tuna on the deck of a boat, I righted myself and rode away. However, I noticed that the left side of the cowhorn is bent inwards toward the aerobars a little over an inch. I know enough not to try and bend it back, so my question is: does this mean the bars should be replaced? Am I putting myself in any sort of jeopardy by continuing to ride with them? Please tell me not to worry. I just bought a new wheelset and I'm strapped for cash. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Bent Cowhorns [tripoet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been riding with a bent cowhorn for a little over a year now. I can't notice any strength/stiffness difference. I bent mine in about the same amount as you. I think we ought to get them replaced, but I don't think there's any big rush.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Think about it this way. If they are going to break, it will be at the exact moment you need them the most, like on a really steep grade when you are grinding up out of the saddle in your lowest gear. If you are OK with the risk, then don't worry about it. Otherwise, start saving again...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
www.chucksbikes.com did have them for $10
Quote Reply
Re: Bent Cowhorns [denewone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.chucksbikes.com/brbull.htm

- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
P. J. O'Rourke
Quote Reply
Re: Bent Cowhorns [chris in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody know anything about the Tsunami El Toro Bullhorn Bars listed on chucksbike.com?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have them. They're handlebars. Nothing flashy but they seem to be sturdy enough.
Quote Reply
Re: Bent Cowhorns [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem with aluminum is that it does not like to be flexed. Typically when aluminum is bent in a direction it will remember the fatigue, unlike steel, Ti or carbon. If you have bent these bars to what I would call a significant degree of an inch, replace them. You are going to get hurt and your family will probably want to sue the handle bar company for you ignorance. It is not worth the risk.
Quote Reply
Re: Bent Cowhorns [jTenniswood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I bit the bullet this morning and ordered some new cowhorns from excelsports.com. From now on I'm going to be extra careful at stop lights (most of all so I don't look like a dork, nyuck nyuck).

By the way I really appreciate everyone's honest advice on this matter, especially when my personal safety is an issue.
Quote Reply