Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ben Kanute AMA / Escape From Alcatraz 4-peat Win

Hot off his 4th straight win at Alcatraz last weekend Ben agreed to join and answer any questions. He'll be traveling starting Sunday so will be taking the bulk of questions today and maybe a few more tomorrow.

A few topics we want to ask Ben about (unless you beat us to the punch) include: indoor vs outdoor training, his Trek set up and how often he works on his bike fit, running with power vs pace tracking, and a few on the human side too including what it's like racing as a new father.

Fire away!

Re: Ben Kanute AMA / Escape From Alcatraz 4-peat Win [VALHALLA] [ In reply to ]

I'd like to know his setup too, but I'd like to know what his plans are? He is in a little bit of no-mans land. Is he going to go long? Stick with mid distance? Will he ever race an ITU race again?

How far did he swim in 2019 vs 2021 on the swim course of Alcatraz?

Re: Ben Kanute AMA / Escape From Alcatraz 4-peat Win [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]

ajthomas wrote:
I'd like to know his setup too, but I'd like to know what his plans are? He is in a little bit of no-mans land. Is he going to go long? Stick with mid distance? Will he ever race an ITU race again?

Thanks for the question! I rode my speed concept with a bontrager 6.0 up front and disc in the back, both tubular. My hearing is 54/41 up front and 12speed 10/33 in the back. Riding SRAM etap.

I have had a lot of success with the variability of my schedule. The short and long played off each other well. I will continue to mix it up, but probably have a bit more focus. A big goal is to win a 70.3 world championship, and with it being in St. George 2 years in a row, that is a great opportunity.

Re: Ben Kanute AMA / Escape From Alcatraz 4-peat Win [tamiii] [ In reply to ]

tamiii wrote:
How far did he swim in 2019 vs 2021 on the swim course of Alcatraz?

I don't have the gps file for that, but my line in to the swim exit was different. I swam more towards shore first in 2021 to avoid the current that was pushing us away. In 2019 I stayed out in the current more as it was pushing us toward the swim exit. Would be fun to compare some gps files if I had them!

are you still running with a stryd power meter? if so, how specifically do you use the power information in training and racing?

80/20 Endurance Ambassador

Re: Ben Kanute AMA / Escape From Alcatraz 4-peat Win [BenKanute] [ In reply to ]

Do you do anything specific in training to prepare for the cold water? Any tips on how to warm up on the boat ride before taking the plunge?

How much of that technical bike route do you spend locked in aero vs upright on the hoods?

Do you "power hike" or "stutter step run" up the Sand Ladder?

How cool was it to have your Dad out there racing?

Thanks!

Re: Ben Kanute AMA / Escape From Alcatraz 4-peat Win [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]

I do still train with a power meter. We use it a lot to help structure workouts, and during the race as a guide. However, during a race, it is more to help with pacing at the beginning and not a strict guideline to follow, especially at a race like Alcatraz. Different surfaces and I feel even fatigue can affect the power reading at times.

Re: Ben Kanute AMA / Escape From Alcatraz 4-peat Win [Larsapalooza] [ In reply to ]

Larsapalooza wrote:
Do you do anything specific in training to prepare for the cold water? Any tips on how to warm up on the boat ride before taking the plunge?

How much of that technical bike route do you spend locked in aero vs upright on the hoods?

Do you "power hike" or "stutter step run" up the Sand Ladder?

How cool was it to have your Dad out there racing?

Thanks!

I do not. I have a great wetsuit sponsor that I trust and have been able to rely on them for not feeling cold. I mentally prepare and expect the worst. This year was actually pretty warm at about 62 degrees. I think I only felt a bit cold in my feet and was otherwise warm.

I spend as much as possible in aero, but this year I did ride on the hoods through the technical sections. The pavement was fresh and damp and I just wanted to make sure I didn't take too many risks.

I do whatever I can to get up the step ladder. Run, walk, pull on the cable. Anything really goes on the sand ladder. Most important thing is to keep moving forward.

It was awesome to have my dad on the boat. It was the first time in over a decade being able to stand on the start line with him. It definitely made it more special overall.

Re: Ben Kanute AMA / Escape From Alcatraz 4-peat Win [BenKanute] [ In reply to ]

i guess things are still up in the air a bit, but how do you see the day shaking down at 70.3 worlds? who's leading out the swim? what are the dynamics on the bike? what kind of runs are we going to see?

also, as someone with a 3-year-old and a 1-year-old at home . . . how the heck do you manage to stay healthy (let alone fast) when you're a dad? i've had a new cold/sinus infection every other week for a couple of years now.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/

Will be cheering for you on the streets of St. George. I’m wondering about the tough balance you were trying to strike between the super sprint training for the mixed relay and the strength for 70.3. Is it a relief to now be able to focus on the latter? How much harder did it get to strike that balance as you aged? Good luck.

Favorite workout leading into a 70.3?

Can you talk about your strength training at all? Heavy/low reps? Plyometrics? Does it change throughout the season? Any favorite/bread and butter exercises?

Thanks and congrats on the victory!

80/20 Endurance Ambassador

Re: Ben Kanute AMA / Escape From Alcatraz 4-peat Win [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]

iron_mike wrote:
i guess things are still up in the air a bit, but how do you see the day shaking down at 70.3 worlds? who's leading out the swim? what are the dynamics on the bike? what kind of runs are we going to see?

also, as someone with a 3-year-old and a 1-year-old at home . . . how the heck do you manage to stay healthy (let alone fast) when you're a dad? i've had a new cold/sinus infection every other week for a couple of years now.

That is a bit hard to determine without a startlist just yet. However, there should be a handful of guys out of the water at the front, and it will be trying to keep distance from guys like Iden, Sanders, Blum, and Long. It will be interesting because the course is very demanding so anything can happen throughout the race. I think there will be a lot of risks taken so probably expect big moves and a few blow ups!

We have been pretty sheltered with Covid so far. We limit contact with people and try to get as much sleep as possible (that part can be a challenge). I think limiting exposure had kept us healthy so far, and then it will be that we do not also have to balance a job on top of training and everything else.

Re: Ben Kanute AMA / Escape From Alcatraz 4-peat Win [lyla] [ In reply to ]

lyla wrote:
Will be cheering for you on the streets of St. George. I’m wondering about the tough balance you were trying to strike between the super sprint training for the mixed relay and the strength for 70.3. Is it a relief to now be able to focus on the latter? How much harder did it get to strike that balance as you aged? Good luck.

Thanks! Doing super sprint and 70.3 has helped in a lot of ways. It keeps my ability to surge and have leg speed, as well as keep intensity on the swim and bike. It does take different prep, and the strain has come more from an inability to plan my schedule as I had to wait on confirmation that I could get into some of the super sprint races. It is going to be great to be able to plan my year we'll in advance with a clear focus on what I want to accomplish. Waiting on answers from others always complicated things, and last minute entries into races was also a complication. So far, I don't think age is a huge issue. The bar is just always being raised in this sport, from super sprint to long distance.

Re: Ben Kanute AMA / Escape From Alcatraz 4-peat Win [piratetri] [ In reply to ]

piratetri wrote:
Favorite workout leading into a 70.3?

A staple for us is a race simulation. 4x30min on the bike and then into a transition run that usually has about 45 min to an hour of race pace intervals.

Re: Ben Kanute AMA / Escape From Alcatraz 4-peat Win [barrec] [ In reply to ]

barrec wrote:
Can you talk about your strength training at all? Heavy/low reps? Plyometrics? Does it change throughout the season? Any favorite/bread and butter exercises?

Thanks and congrats on the victory!

I have been working with Matt Pendola of the Pendola Project for almost a year now. We focus on various things, and I encourage you to check them out on Instagram. I have posted a few movements from him as well on my page, and he offers a program for anyone called R3. We focus a lot on my specific weaknesses. We work on stability and strength that will help add power to my program without fatiguing me. It is not heavy lifting, but a lot of creative movements to target certain areas. It has drastically helped me maintain my run form late into a race.

Hi Ben,
I met you at Eldorado pool last year. Thanks for answering our questions. You don't have to answer all of mine but here goes:
What are your 1650 yd/ 500 yd best pool times?
How fast do you have to be to make front pack in ITU? Has the level increased? Are you swimming all out or is it easy for you to hang in the pack. You did well in Super League, what is your preferred distance?
Do you workout with any of the project podium guys?
Are you in Phoenix exclusively now or do you escape for the summer?
Hope to see you at the pool.
Thanks

Re: Ben Kanute AMA / Escape From Alcatraz 4-peat Win [Dolphin777] [ In reply to ]

Dolphin777 wrote:
Hi Ben,
I met you at Eldorado pool last year. Thanks for answering our questions. You don't have to answer all of mine but here goes:
What are your 1650 yd/ 500 yd best pool times?
How fast do you have to be to make front pack in ITU? Has the level increased? Are you swimming all out or is it easy for you to hang in the pack. You did well in Super League, what is your preferred distance?
Do you workout with any of the project podium guys?
Are you in Phoenix exclusively now or do you escape for the summer?
Hope to see you at the pool.
Thanks

Thanks! It has been awhile since I have done a 1650yd tt. I'm guessing about a 00 pace is definitely doable. A 500 I'd guess I'm 440 to 445 if I did a focused tt and a 450 or so any day of the week. It's hard to relate front pack swimming directly to times, but being able to swim 00s for 100s is a pretty basic requirement. I would value get out speed a lot and then the ability to settle into a strong pace (sitting on the front few people's feet). The level is definitely high. Guys like Schoeman, Luis, Varga, etc all have great swim ability and keep improving. The amount of fast guys has increased as well, so if one has an off day, another will fill in. The effort really depends on the race. It feels easy at times, and others the effort is high.

I don't have a preferred distance. They all have their own nuances, and it makes it exciting to switch it up.

I see those guys around every so often, but do not workout with them. And we do a bit of time in Phoenix, but travel a lot for races and training.

What's your plan with that hair cut?

I think a lot of us think you would be a really good Ironman distance guy. When you gonna give us something to talk about?
How many hours a week do you train?
Any set days off like Lionel on sundays?
What the long game in ten years when you retire?

Re: Ben Kanute AMA / Escape From Alcatraz 4-peat Win [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]

Any full Ironman in your near future? 2022?

Can you lobby to reprise Island House? That was so fun to watch!

Island House was so fun to watch. Can you lobby to revive it?

Re: Ben Kanute AMA / Escape From Alcatraz 4-peat Win [TravelLean] [ In reply to ]

TravelLean wrote:
What's your plan with that hair cut?

Hair has been trimmed, beard is staying

Prev Next