Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Belly fat
Quote | Reply
Best way to shift (for over 50's)?

(People under 50 - You will find how silly just saying "ride more" is when you are like us...)
Quote Reply
Re: Belly fat [wphone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CrossFit and ride more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spanx.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Obscure it with body art?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wphone wrote:

(People under 50 - You will find how silly just saying "ride more" is when you are like us...)

Get a divorce, then a girlfriend. If you're not married and have belly fat, I can't help you.

Or,

cut out sugar as much as possible and don't eat after 7PM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wphone wrote:

Get NOOM and follow it.

I lost 20+ lbs in 3mths and am close to my old race weight Now. I’m 47.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wphone wrote:

What about those of us who ARE over 50? Before I just say "ride more"...

There is NO SUCH THING as spot reduction. So, if you want to get rid of belly fat, you have to get rid of BODY fat. There's nothing you can do to cause your body to preferentially use one fat storage location over another.

What's your current body comp? Are you 10, 15, or 20% body fat? Its easier to modify your body composition the higher your current body fat is. The closer you get to 10% the harder it seems to be to get rid of body fat while holding on to muscle.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jun 2, 20 11:38
Quote Reply
Re: Belly fat [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
wphone wrote:

Get NOOM and follow it.

I lost 20+ lbs in 3mths and am close to my old race weight Now. I’m 47.

Iv see adverts for this noom thing for months, but what the heck is it?

It looks like a con in the ads. And it seems expensive.
Quote Reply
Re: Belly fat [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
wphone wrote:

What about those of us who ARE over 50? Before I just say "ride more"...

There is NO SUCH THING as spot reduction. So, if you want to get rid of belly fat, you have to get rid of BODY fat. There's nothing you can do to cause your body to preferentially use one fat storage location over another.

What's your current body comp? Are you 10, 15, or 20% body fat? Its easier to modify your body composition the higher your current body fat is. The closer you get to 10% the harder it seems to be to get rid of body fat while holding on to muscle.

^^^^^This.

Trying to spot reduce is like trying to drink only the left side of a glass of water.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Belly fat [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

^^^^^This.

Trying to spot reduce is like trying to drink only the left side of a glass of water.

Damn, I thought I could cut my beer intake in half using this method, and now you're telling me I'm wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diet harder?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CICO. thats all there is to it. even when you're old.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Belly fat [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
CICO. thats all there is to it. even when you're old.

Not very helpful. That's like saying "going 40K in less time" is all there is to improving your 40K TT. It's a truth, but nearly a tautology.

Achieving sustained, manageable calorie deficit in conjunction with quality energy levels while working out requires a pretty good skill set, involving composition of diet, timing of diet, types and volume of exercise, etc.

All those things take work.

Counting calories might be one tool in the toolbox (though not one that I use when cutting to race weight).
Last edited by: trail: Jun 2, 20 13:48
Quote Reply
Re: Belly fat [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i dont agree at all. you are 100% correct in saying one can optimize fat loss through various measures and means, but when it all comes down to it the base of fat loss is expending more energy than you take in. theres absolutely zero black magic involved in it.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in a similar situation mid 50's, 172 lbs currently down in one week from 176 because wife will buy me any bike I want if I can get back to 160 ( no cost limitations). I've been tracking my calories on the "lose it" app, which is free. You can scan the bar code of the food to easily enter it, pretty simple to use and you can set the goal weight and how much you want to lose each week (2lbs is the max) and it will tell you the amount of calories you can consume. It also connects to Garmin and others to include exercise which gives you more calories to consume for the day. So I agree that calories in calories out is a big piece, coupled with exercise of course, but also adding resistance training (weights) can give you a good boost. As far as the belly fat, as previously said lowering your body fat will help but you've got to specifically target that area with core work, sit-ups, crunches, leg raises for the lower abs, etc. Also side bends for the love handles. Best of luck, I'm with you on the quest for that 2 pack again,( I mean 4 pack).
Quote Reply
Re: Belly fat [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
i dont agree at all. you are 100% correct in saying one can optimize fat loss through various measures and means, but when it all comes down to it the base of fat loss is expending more energy than you take in. theres absolutely zero black magic involved in it.

Yup, and being good at TT is only about covering a distance in less time. No need to think about it any further. That'll by my TT coaching business. "Cover the distance in less time." No black magic at all.

I think "CICO" fixation is nonsense from 80's dieting that should have gone away by now.
Last edited by: trail: Jun 2, 20 14:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
damon.lebeouf wrote:

Yup, and being good at TT is only about covering a distance in less time. No need to think about it any further. That'll by my TT coaching business. "Cover the distance in less time." No black magic at all.

I think "CICO" fixation is nonsense from 80's dieting that should have gone away by now.

"Cover distance in less time" sounds like a stupid tautology until you realize there are people saying you can be good at TT by not covering distance in less time.
To wit: what are you focusing on for weight loss if you aren't focusing on CICO?
Last edited by: SH: Jun 2, 20 15:17
Quote Reply
Re: Belly fat [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
"Cover distance in less time" sounds like a stupid tautology until you realize there are people saying you can be good at TT by not covering distance in less time.
To wit: what are you focusing on for weight loss if you aren't focusing on CICO?

Not to answer for trail, but he literally said it in his reply

trail wrote:
Achieving sustained, manageable calorie deficit in conjunction with quality energy levels while working out requires a pretty good skill set, involving composition of diet, timing of diet, types and volume of exercise, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Belly fat [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:
Iv see adverts for this noom thing for months, but what the heck is it?

It looks like a con in the ads. And it seems expensive.

Don't pay list price for noom. Just keep cancelling and they keep coming back with a new lower price. Moral of their story: eat a lot of grapes.

Noom didn't work for me. My weight is has a direct inverse relationship to my happiness.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: Belly fat [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:

False dilemma. I am not arguing against calorie deficit as a necessary condition for weight loss. It's absolutely necessary to achieve a consistent calorie deficit over weeks/months.

I'm arguing against making it sound like that's all you have to do, per the original quote:

"CICO. thats all there is to it"

Like being good at TT involves mastering a lot of skills, being good at maintaining low bodyfat involves lots of skills.

You you don't have to be count calories to achieve good body composition. Humanity went through millennia of people having good body composition before thermodynamics existed as a science, much less was applied to "dieting."

Eat a good diet, and move around a lot, and guess what, your body is a pretty good self-regulator. I understand that those self-regulation mechanisms can get utterly broken at times. And in those cases, counting may be good to help compensate for broken self-regulation. If it works for people, I'm all for it.
Last edited by: trail: Jun 2, 20 15:39
Quote Reply
Re: Belly fat [tri3ba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hit the sauna for a couple hours and you are there. 😜

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually run (not ride) more is the answer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only way to lose weight is to exist in a caloric deficit. The best way I've found to feel full at a deficit and burn more fat is through a low carb, high fat ketogenic approach. YMMV. Personally, I stopped drinking alcohol in January and ate 200-500 calories less than I burned for the last 5 months. I went from 5'10", 190lbs and 20%bf, to 145lbs and 10%bf. I did lose some muscle, as my strength training went down to barely anything due to gyms being closed, and I kept my training very low intensity, as I was training to lose weight, not for maximum performance. But, this is a great time to focus exclusively on dieting and training to get down closer to your ideal race weight...as there are no races and training/eating for performance is different from training/eating for fat loss.

Sustain a caloric deficit for an extended period of time. Be consistent. Be patient. Log/track everything. You will lose weight. Eat enough protein and strength train, you can maintain muscle. Low Carb High Fat works for some. Low Fat High Carb works for others. Also...alcohol really destroys all the hard work and dieting.

Calories In < Calories Out = Weight loss. Dialing in your macronutrient consumption and training = more targeted fat loss.
Last edited by: FasterTwitch: Jun 3, 20 1:09
Quote Reply
Re: Belly fat [FasterTwitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The key as someone at 47 who got from 97kg down to 72/73kg now over 5 years is not quite just cico and exercise.

A few things that helped me.

Like boxers when u exercise makes a difference so smaller min 20min exercise pre breakfast lifts metabolism all day. Double sessions with morning session fairly easy, as u get older that recovery period goes up and up.

If u need carbs IMHO for tri type sports - only a few ppl can do this sport on keto (I never met any but I don't doubt some ppl can do) - I believe fueling at breakfast on quality carbs with breakfast like a king, lunch like a Prince, dinner like a pauper helps as carbs injested early fuel the workouts in evening OK. Try to avoid all cakes white rice bread etc as much as possible. Salad dressings cakes even sugary fruits all in moderation or reduced and replaced with more whole foods. Eat dinner earlier rather than later

Calorie density more veges fruit roughage less processed garbage rice fast food etc - if u can develop a taste to avoid sauces etc u can eat and be full without starving urself. Almost no added sugar no softdrinks minimal high fat avocado butter etc stuff as u end up consuming more than a bunch of say carrots or lean fish which fills u up more so u don't feel u r dieting. I am not vegan or vegetarian but eating pork lamb beef for me Jack's weight up and rice pasta white bread are horrific. Weirdly say potato with skin is much better than without skin but sweet potato better again lots of info on all this elsewhere, likewise avoid impossible meat almond milk or anything heavily processed when a less processed thing is available

Learn to drink coffee Black earlier in day to bump up metabolism. No sugar no milk all the small things to eliminate calories, definitely no or minimal alcohol. Drinking soda water for me stops me feeling so hungry. I try never to feel hungry after meals so dieting cico isn't torture. Very hot or very cold drinks to slightly bump up burning calories. Every single way u can find to feel full eating less calories basically. Ensure u don't skip protein and fat in diet. But try to make sure u don't go overboard on fat with olive oils etc all of which can massively add to calories. Reduce salt a bit as some stomach might be water weight, but only a little.

Firmer stomach and obliques - u can't spot lose the fat only but u can certainly firm the muscles, crunches, sit ups, leg raises, etc etc basically a truckload of core work

Exercise some better than others each person is different I find running and skipping helps.

Sleeping well is a priority. If needed magnesium and very low doses of melatonin can help.

Work standing up move around in office. I find wearing rubber sole shoes or sneakers helps legs feel much better meaning I can workout a bit more. Walk instead of drive. Stand instead of sit. Fidget instead of daydream.

Take time to stretch and do low intensity mobility for general health and also burn more calories.

As u aren't a spring chicken make hard work outs very hard easy long very easy and long and avoid injury is a priority so no ego if in group on the speed days. Consistency in working out. Do some weights fairly heavy basic movements squats Deadlift etc to improve test levels if u can. Try to drive up ur sex drive a bit if u can to drive up test levels maybe supplement with zinc if needed and vit d outside. Feel confident get ur strut on when u walk etc all helps increase sense of wellness and test levels which drives body shape a little
Young hot GF may help. Obviously if u have a wife that might be an issue.

Sauna helps not just losing water weight u do burn calories in there and some beneficial effects for brown fat loss and maybe metabolism. I also find vit d and sun is helpful for wellbeing again not specific to gut fat.

I tried calorific restriction during exercise IMHO it doesn't work eat like a king on the long ride if u plan to run low do it in the last 30-60min so u end up depleted then fuel up on healthy fruit etc rather than energy gels during. Post exercise nutrition enables u to recover way faster

Weigh yourself daily and measure what u eat at least enough to know cico and what helps or hurts

Lots of random garbage hopefully something useful in there

If all else fails wear a corset at all times. 2 2 inch waist becomes a reality. Just don't breathe.
Last edited by: Kipstar: Jun 3, 20 22:55
Quote Reply

Prev Next