Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Behind the seat bottles suck
Quote | Reply
Well, that's my opinion anyway. There has been a lot of discussion lately about the various benefits and drawbacks of seat mounted bottle cages. I've never used them, and never really saw the point of them, but also never really thought much, positive or negative, of them. Now I can proudly say that I think these things are just plain stupid. Maybe it's due to the fact that I almost got nailed over the weekend while some guy was doing his best to ride one handed while searching for the cage and weaving all over the course. Or maybe it's because of the endless numbers of people I saw who seemed unable to locate the damn thing while riding. At one point, I even gave directions to a guy to help to help "guide in" the bottle.

I've always liked the bar mounted systems like the Jetstream. They may not be as aero and I don't really care. You can drink from them while maintaining your position, and you don't have to play "Where's Waldo" with your damn cages.
Quote Reply
Re: Behind the seat bottles suck [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use behind the seat bottles (Profile Aqua rack). After some learning I have no more problems iremoving and inserting the bottels from the rack. It is not more difficult than inserting a bottle on the down tube. Last year I lost a bottle in a triathlon when inserting the bottle in the down tube cage. But fingers were clamp from cold and rain).

For IM Switzerland (Pooks, thanks for your mail yesterday) I will use the aqua rack and a Jetstream Nxt.

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use them also. I started mostly as a way of increasing the number of bottles available on long rides. Now I prefer them behind the seat as easier to get to in my case.

"Bottle rockets" can be avoided first by using the Profile cages as opposed to wire cages. Next, a rubber band or two in addition to the one on the cage practically guarantees that it will be speed-bump-proof.
Quote Reply
Re: Behind the seat bottles suck [flyebaby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote]"Bottle rockets" can be avoided first by using the Profile cages as opposed to wire cages. Next, a rubber band or two in addition to the one on the cage practically guarantees that it will be speed-bump-proof. [/quote]

Last year I lost a bottle due to "Bottle rockets" with wire cages. I added rubber band to hold the bottle.
But with my new Profile Design Aqua rack I have no problem. The bottles hold quite good in the cage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, so I'm now 0 for 3 in trying to take out other riders with my rear-mounted missile launcher (aka Minoura w/ wire cages). I launched one last weekend and some poor soul behind me had to perform a heroic maneuver to avoid getting taken out. He was even nice enough to stop and retrieve my bottle for me. Yesterday I hit a nasty pothole and simultaneously fired both barrels out the back. Alas, both missed the riders behind me. This time I had to circle back and fetch my bottles out of the weeds. I give up. I'm ready to try something new.

My strategy for long rides had been to mount two bottles on the back, and one on the seat tube. I'd drink from the one on the seat tube, and rotate the empties to the Minoura to avoid a lot of fishing around in the back. So now I'm debating what to do.... Profile aqua rack, Xlab , Neverreach? I can't do a front-mounted bottle because I have two computers that take up that space. Decisions, decisions...
Quote Reply
Re: Behind the seat bottles suck [felix__w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
I use behind the seat bottles (Profile Aqua rack). After some learning I have no more problems iremoving and inserting the bottels from the rack. It is not more difficult than inserting a bottle on the down tube. Last year I lost a bottle in a triathlon when inserting the bottle in the down tube cage. But fingers were clamp from cold and rain).

For IM Switzerland (Pooks, thanks for your mail yesterday) I will use the aqua rack and a Jetstream Nxt.

Felix [/reply]

I went through this whole debate last year. I tried the behind-the-seat Profiles with 3-4 extra rubber bands, etc. At Ralph's 2001, I lost every single bottle of drink I put in those things. Must have launched 6 before I stopped putting them in there. Same experience at Big Rock. I finally gave up and went with the aero-bar mounted deal, with a single seat-tube conventional bottle holder for holding aid station pickups until I could pour it into the bar mounted bottle.

For whatever reason, I've never been able to get bottles to stay in behind the seat holders. I lost my 1000-calorie bottle of Extran while 30 miles from nowhere on a big pre-IM ride last summer. THAT was a bummer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At Ralphs this past weekend, I not only saw tons of full water bottles strewn about the course - but did anyone else notice all the water bottle CAGES (specifically profile design) at the side of the road??? I counted at least 3 or 4 of them...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So is it a unanimous decision re: Profile Aqua rack as the best rear mounted drink system?

Now, as for front mounted syestems: I use Syntace C2 bars...what does everyone recommend for a drink sytem (that fits) for these?

Thanks,
Tripoet
Quote Reply
Re: Behind the seat bottles suck [tripoet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]So is it a unanimous decision re: Profile Aqua rack as the best rear mounted drink system?
[/reply]

I'm still curious to hear some more reviews about the Neverreach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Syntace Jetstream works perfectly with these bars. If you use the computer mount it can make it a bit difficult to squeeze the bottle in, but you can still do it. I used this setup at Ralph's over the weekend and didn't notice any handling problems, even with the high winds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I do use the computer mount. It sounds like this might be the way to go, eren if it is tight.. Do you know of a good source? Thanks Pooks!
Tripoet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Profile's bar-mounted bottle. I can't keep the fluid in it. The mesh "plug" just doesn't cut it. My ride buddies mostly use Jetstreams on their Syntaces, and that seems to be much more successful.
Quote Reply
Re: Behind the seat bottles suck [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm...am I the only one who has never launched anything from the minoura 2 bottle holder w/ wire cages? I used the bottles that have a "groove" in them, where the back edge of the cage will fit if you bend it a little bit to make sure it fits tightly into said groove. What kind of bottles are you guys using with the wire cages?

Although, I haven't hit any MAJOR potholes with the new TT bike yet, so we'll see what happens.

Philbert

Dr. Philip Skiba
Scientific Training for Endurance Athletes now available on Amazon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be able to get these anywhere, but here's a link to trisports: http://www.trisports.com/jetstreamnxt.html

They're usually $20, I'm not sure you'll be able to get one for much cheaper unless you find a shop having a closeout.
Quote Reply
Re: Behind the seat bottles suck [Philbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"What kind of bottles are you guys using with the wire cages? "

Good point. I can get my own bottles to stay by choosing carefully. But, on the courses, I really only care about getting Gatorade bottles to stay in, since that's what I'm picking up.

Only an issue in 1/2 IM and longer races...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was an article in this month's Triathlete indicating behind the seat bottles are actually the worst method in aerodynamically and as a result are slower than other methods. The placement of the bottles behind the seat causes more drag and that is compounded by the need to get out of the aero riding position to use the bottles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a big fan of my x lab behind the seat rig. Heay, vibrating, bottlerocketing POS... I'll sell it for a tube patch

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No sidewindin bushwackin, hornswaglin, cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Pooks, I have to politely go the other way on this one. I like behind the seat bottle cage holders such as X-Lab X-Wing and Profile Aquarack. The Minoura double bottle cage holder is nice too. Although I sell a lot of them and customers like them I personally do not like Jetstreams. You guys made fun of me for saying this months ago but when that thing is full of water I swear the extra weight on the bars messes with my bike handling. Just my opinion...

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Behind the seat bottles suck [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well Tom, I can quite comfortable and confidently say that your wrong. ;) I realize I am certainly in the minority on this one. It seems that these holders are the equivalent of a I'm-a-triathlete patch. They're everywhere in the transition area. I've heard the handling complaints about the Jetstream type bottles, but I've never experienced them. Maybe it gets more pronounced with longer stems. I dunno. I do know that more often than not, when I see someone trying to use one of these no-look-behind-the-back-I'm-so-cool-bottle-holders, it's obviously more of a distraction than a convenience. I'm all for minimizing distractions, not introducing them. Maybe I'm just uncool. (Tell me, did you mount your car stereo in your back seat too??) I'm sure some people can use them with no problem, but I RARELY come across them. I'm sure I'm just overreacting, but it did piss me off that some moron almost drove me off the road this weekend 'cause he couldn't control his bike and put away a water bottle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah HAA! So it's morons you do not like, not behind the saddle bottle carriers! I am with you on that my friend.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's about the rider. if the rider is unskilled enough to reach behind him and grab a bottle then that rider will have the same problem doing a lot of other things that would torque you off further down the road.

the answer to this problem is the old saying "nothing new on race day". practice makes any skill smoother.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Behind the seat bottles suck [customerjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No no no!!! Let's not make this about skill and training.

The gear is to blame. It's always about the gear.

Seriously, I'm sure you're right, but I still see no advantage to these bottle cages with the sole exception of if you have a frame that cannot/does not have standard bottle cage bosses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One definite advantage is that they make it easy to hang your bike on the rack (at least the Minoura) :)

I use a Minoura behind the seat carrier and a Jetstream up front. This means that I only put a bottle behind the seat as my "emergency" fluid in case I miss the bottle swap during the race. Otherwise I just grab a bottle and dump it in the jetstream. This means that I rarely need to reach behind to grab a bottle so I won't run you off the road :) In training they make it easy to carry lots of extra fluids on long rides and they also provide a handy place to attach your spare tire/tube/CO2 when racing.

The only time I've ever launched a bottle from mine was when I went over a really nasty railway track at a stupid rate of speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Behind the seat bottles suck [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't anyone go with the Profile Aero bottle up front? or is Jetstream so much better? If it is - Why?

Personaly I plan on duplicating Pooks strategy (Minoura with Profile cages) but I was planning on using the Aero bottle.

put the mettle to the pedal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thoroughly enjoy my Profile Auqa Rack used with 20 (24?) oz Specialized bottles from Jamba Juice, $2.50 ea. and have never launched a bottle, even on some seriously bone-jarring courses. I use the bottles from the Aqua Rack to refill my areo Drink. My bike only has one set of braze-ons and even using a Profile Aero Drink, I was Jonesing for more of MY drink on long training rides and races. The water along my training trail is nasty and I dislike the Gatorade at races. I've never had any handling concerns regarding a full Aero Drink. Perhaps I'm not knowledgable enough to know the difference, but I've never, ever felt squirrelly. Ignorance is bliss. The Profile Aqua Rack also doesn't create a dismount problem as it sits low on my seatpost.

Also, I've always enjoyed seeing bottles strewn along the race course just knowing they got launched. I saw one bottle launch at Wildflower Oly last year. Quite a site and humorous, too. I've never crashed due to a launched bottle, so forgive me if you've had a negative experience. I know they're dangerous, but it adds to the challenge and humor of the race. :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next