Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Beginner
Quote | Reply
I'm sure that this question has been ask a thousand times, but as new rider and hopeful triathlete, what is the best way to begin training. I've looked at the Beginners training program on this website and think it will be very helpful, but am I being to aggresive to want to start training at a faster pace? At the moment I have around 45 miles on the new bike and have been running on and off for several years but am just now getting comfortable in the shoes again. My times are around 25 min for 3 miles. Not fast but a big improvement in the past two months. As far as the swimming goes I'm stationed on Guam and there are no Masters groups here so I'm looking for help. Any suggestions in any of the three areas will be greatly appreciated and definitely put to use.
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner [BHKII] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There may be a swimming program for kids. You could contact that coach and possibly get some advice on how to get started swimming there.

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How to "Start training" depends alot on your current aerobic capacity and range of motion. If you have been swiming, cycling and running your whole life, that is significantly different from just getting out there in the past month or so.

I'm not a coach but I began "training" in May 2002 after having been a consumate swimmer, cyclist and runner. I should mention that I had never competed in a race of any kind prior to May of 2002. I took 2nd in the 30-34 age group in my first sprint tri. I attribute that to having sound cardio and muscle familiarity with the 3 sports.

So, the short answer is to go as far (distance or time) in each discipline as you can without loosing form or overstressing your body and getting injured. Do NOT attempt "bricks" (2 disciplines in the same workout for the first few weeks. Do NOT do sprint workouts for the first month or more. After a month, or when you think you are capable of sustaining higher speeds without injury, you can do intervals at or just under your anticipated race paces. ex: If you are running 25min for 5K, you could try mile repeats at 7:45-8:00.

Basically, I have found that going too fast and exersizing beyond the point of form loss will result in injury. Cardio, range of motion and muscle familiarity are the key...reguarless of race distance.
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner [smeegle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After reading some other messages I went to Trinewbies.com and found a training program on their website for the Olympic Distance. My experience in Swimming and Cycling is pretty much zero so as for those diciplines I'm starting from scratch. If my goal is to just complete this event, is a race scheduled for 12 weeks from now too soon? I want to be realistic about setting goals and definitely avoid injury but I would really like to get involved in an event and there are no sprints scheduled anytime this season here on the island that I've found. Thanks for the help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
12 weeks is plenty of time. I did my first sprint tri (750 m/20 km/5 km) after just 8 weeks of training and I started at ground zero in all three sports. I even managed to finish in the middle of the pack! You can definitely do one 12 weeks from now.

Have fun! Dawn
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the encouragement and I'll let eveyone know how it went after Oct 12th.
Quote Reply