Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bear spray suggestions
Quote | Reply
Hello,

What's the best bear spray for someone who runs on trails in an area where there are black bears, grizzly bears and mountain lions? Is there any one best things to carry in such a location...other than a gun...? I get that it can be tough to use anything for a mtn lion, given the nature of their attacks, so maybe it is best to focus on bears...

Thanks,
Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: Bear spray suggestions [JeffJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think all bear sprays are pretty similar in chemical content. They are all 1-2% concentration of the good stuff. Our Costco sells a U dap product in a two pack that seems pretty popular. I don't think any comparative testing has really been done. I haven't looked, but hope I never have to pull mine. As far as guns go you will want to use a hand cannon to stop a mad griz and practice with it. Guns are good in the right hands and not so much in the hands of people who don't know how to use them. Big pistols are pretty heavy to run with.
Last edited by: G-man: Jun 16, 19 6:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bear spray is safe to scare of bears if used correctly, so you should only use it if the bear if really close. Guns...not so safe. If you would carry it in a way on your run which is safe, you wouldn't have the time to get it ready and aim if a bear really attacks. And the type of gun you could carry on a run won't stop a bear in the little time you have until a bear is upon you, bear spray does.
Quote Reply
Re: Bear spray suggestions [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I should have put the gun in pink...but agree my quick research show similar ingredients across brands. I will read a little more to see if some delivery systems are better/faster. I guess the best bet is to always run with a slower runner....
Last edited by: JeffJ: Jun 16, 19 10:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a friend in NW Montana who is missing part of his scalp courtesy of a Black Bear. He was walking his two Huskies, carrying bear spray and still got surprised by a female bear guarding a kill. He was knocked down but managed to deploy the spray. He said he had always been nervous about bears and had even practised his response prior to the attack. Needless to say he is still nervous but has upgraded to the larger size can of Bear B Gone.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Bear spray suggestions [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would watch a couple You Tubes on use of bear spray. I do every year as a refresher. I have also sprayed expired bear spray to see how it comes out of the can. You fire in short bursts or you may just run out. I am guessing the standard can has 10 to 15 seconds worth of shooting so that is 5 to 10 good little bursts. Looks like to me it works good at about 15 to 20 feet. I usually don't play where the big bears play, but encounter a black bear or one with cubs once a year or so on the bike. I usually just turn the bike around on spotting them and leave the area quickly.

I have never encountered a big cat on the bike, but they are on my mind as they have been seen in town let alone out on the fire roads and trails where I ride. They are sneaky devils and like to come from behind, so you may never see the big cat to deploy your spray.

I think some people worry about bears and cats more than they should. If however you are in the Western Montana mountains, Griz are the real deal and you are in their house. I sort of liken it to the men in grey suits in the water. Always keep them in your mind, but don't let the fear exclude you from your life hobbies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 44 mag kind. Or a slow running partner.
Quote Reply
Re: Bear spray suggestions [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, its for my son who just moved to western Montana...he sent me a list of trail warnings recently. He is still at an age of invulnerability while I hit parent mode with receipt of the trail warning email...
Quote Reply
Re: Bear spray suggestions [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1poseur1 wrote:
The 44 mag kind. Or a slow running partner.

That won't stop a bear very quickly, and you need to stop the bear very quickly if you were to defend yourself from an actual attack. I lived in Montana. If you are in grizzly country have bear spray with you AND where you can quickly access it (NOT inside your backpack) and make noise all the time to not surprise animals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JeffJ wrote:
Hello,

What's the best bear spray for someone who runs on trails in an area where there are black bears, grizzly bears and mountain lions? Is there any one best things to carry in such a location...other than a gun...? I get that it can be tough to use anything for a mtn lion, given the nature of their attacks, so maybe it is best to focus on bears...

Thanks,
Jeff

Travel in group and make noise... they don't want to see you, just don't surprise them
(i think their was never an attack on a group of 4+)

"Easy" to do for hikers, much harder runners.

Bear spray is just a plan B
Quote Reply
Re: Bear spray suggestions [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run with bear bells.
Quote Reply
Re: Bear spray suggestions [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriStart wrote:
Run with bear bells.

https://www.backpacker.com/...ar-bells-really-work
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best thing is bear spray.

"research found bear spray to be 92 percent effective in deterring attacks by grizzly, black and polar bears.
In contrast, there was 84 percent success with people who used handguns and a 76 percent success rate with long-guns. Firearms also had a high risk of injury in dealing with a wounded bear."

Extensive review here,
https://mountainjournal.org/...e-in-grizzly-country

TLDR: get the larger Counter Assault spray, 10.2 ounces with a spray that lasts 9.2 seconds.
Quote Reply
Re: Bear spray suggestions [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a few of these when in bear country. We have only used it once and it works.

https://www.amazon.com/...9078329096&psc=1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
man go to a place where you do not need bear spray.
Quote Reply