Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bear Lake Brawl Pro Triathlon..today [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMHO not sure if we can put Russell at 37 in the young pup division. Hanson is still 35 and a solid swim and bike and I still like his chances but if you can't swim front pack you really need to be a diesel strength athlete like Lieferman or Russell to survive and thrive on the bike and put yourself in a good position. I am not sure how engaged Kanute will be going forward. We shall see. He is getting married, probably having kids and family, plus he has been doing this sport as a kid. He is someone who through my interactions with always had big life goals outside of triathlon and I wonder about the tug-of-war between those and triathlon. Kanute is a super intelligent kid as well. Long is a relative newcomer. Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. The euphemistic punch in triathlon is always that first serious injury. It is too early to say. He is a big strong athlete as well and he has ran well and I don't know enough about his background but Russell was equally as strong of athlete and comes from a steeplechase background. One of Russell's strength is he runs so well in the heat and I think that is a big question mark with Long still.

I haven't had a lot of interactions with Long. I only raced him at Ironman Wisconsin 2017 where he was not quite the same athlete he is today by any stretch, but Lionel is an absolute beast. Lionel is one of those athletes and when you see how hard he trains, how much pain he is willing to endure, it almost like, f*** **, because you are so demoralized. You saw a little bit of that from Frodo back at Oceanside many moons ago. Frodo, just kind of shook his head thinking how much better Lionel was on the bike and you could see the wheels turning in Frodo about Lionel's ability. I am always taken back with Lionel's 2010 Ironman Louisville bike ride as an amatuer on who knows what equipment and position on the hardest Louisville course by a long shot. It showed just how big of a potential Lionel has. Factor in his gait and it is amazing what Lionel has accomplished.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
America needs another strong Triathlete. With T.O., Potts, and Starky aging up, we have Kanute, Leiferman, Russell, and Long (Ironman distance, men's field). I would say only Kanute, T.O., and Long are the KONA podium contenders at this point. I need to work around my opinions and find a way to root for him. His numbers for this race were very strong, looking at Strava.

Sam Long a kona podium contender?!? Like the real podium or fake podium?? Dude hasn’t even raced kona once (as a pro), let alone raced against the world’s top athletes. His swim needs major work if he wants to contend in Kona. You have to be in the front pack out of the swim if you want to win. He may be able to get to that point in a couple years, but to call him a podium contender right now, is disrespectful to Frodo, TO, Sebi, etc and also naive.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Sep 20, 20 7:52
Quote Reply
Re: Bear Lake Brawl Pro Triathlon..today [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Sam's social media personality is nothing like his real personality. I can definitely see how it can rub people the wrong way. But really he's just a super-nice goofy guy. I think some of the arrogance on social media is just him trying to be funny. Some of it is of course genuine confidence.

Yeah, having a few “heel” type personalities is good.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Bear Lake Brawl Pro Triathlon..today [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
IMHO not sure if we can put Russell at 37 in the young pup division. Hanson is still 35 and a solid swim and bike and I still like his chances but if you can't swim front pack you really need to be a diesel strength athlete like Lieferman or Russell to survive and thrive on the bike and put yourself in a good position. I am not sure how engaged Kanute will be going forward. We shall see. He is getting married, probably having kids and family, plus he has been doing this sport as a kid. He is someone who through my interactions with always had big life goals outside of triathlon and I wonder about the tug-of-war between those and triathlon. Kanute is a super intelligent kid as well. Long is a relative newcomer. Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. The euphemistic punch in triathlon is always that first serious injury. It is too early to say. He is a big strong athlete as well and he has ran well and I don't know enough about his background but Russell was equally as strong of athlete and comes from a steeplechase background. One of Russell's strength is he runs so well in the heat and I think that is a big question mark with Long still.

I haven't had a lot of interactions with Long. I only raced him at Ironman Wisconsin 2017 where he was not quite the same athlete he is today by any stretch, but Lionel is an absolute beast. Lionel is one of those athletes and when you see how hard he trains, how much pain he is willing to endure, it almost like, f*** **, because you are so demoralized. You saw a little bit of that from Frodo back at Oceanside many moons ago. Frodo, just kind of shook his head thinking how much better Lionel was on the bike and you could see the wheels turning in Frodo about Lionel's ability. I am always taken back with Lionel's 2010 Ironman Louisville bike ride as an amatuer on who knows what equipment and position on the hardest Louisville course by a long shot. It showed just how big of a potential Lionel has. Factor in his gait and it is amazing what Lionel has accomplished.

Ben and Courtney got married in January. She left her broadcasting career so that she could be in full support of his triathlon career and travel the world with him. Yes, the bundle of joy is incoming. But I don't see him leaving the sport anytime soon.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Bear Lake Brawl Pro Triathlon..today [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Ben and Courtney got married in January. She left her broadcasting career so that she could be in full support of his triathlon career and travel the world with him. Yes, the bundle of joy is incoming. But I don't see him leaving the sport anytime soon.

Geez time flies. Admittingly I don't follow social media too much anymore. Seems like just yesterday I saw the engagement post. And I didn't know Courtney left her career to support Ben's, that is huge. Are they planning to homebase it still in Phoenix area?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Bear Lake Brawl Pro Triathlon..today [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Geez time flies. Admittingly I don't follow social media too much anymore. Seems like just yesterday I saw the engagement post. And I didn't know Courtney left her career to support Ben's, that is huge. Are they planning to homebase it still in Phoenix area?

Going purely based on instagram, I'd say for now because they're still here. But I have no true insight beyond that.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Bear Lake Brawl Pro Triathlon..today [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am specifically talking about the USA long course athletes. Who do we have that are possible players in KONA? As for the podium, I still think the Germans own the top spot. With Brownlee coming into the mix it gets even more exciting. Gomez said he will give it another go. TO is great because of his experience and understanding his body but for how much longer? I think Kanute and Long are our next big hope. Would love to hear another name I can get behind.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
I am specifically talking about the USA long course athletes. Who do we have that are possible players in KONA? As for the podium, I still think the Germans own the top spot. With Brownlee coming into the mix it gets even more exciting. Gomez said he will give it another go. TO is great because of his experience and understanding his body but for how much longer? I think Kanute and Long are our next big hope. Would love to hear another name I can get behind.
Rudy Von Berg when/if he steps up to the full distance? No real weaknesses as far as I'm aware.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Bear Lake Brawl Pro Triathlon..today [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heck yeah. Young, strong, great genes, and rides Trek. I just subscribed to his YouTube channel. Also watched the PTO video of him and Sebastian. Lot's of respect from SK.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:

Certainly Ben Hoffman has a few more in the tank I would think. If he can push the bike a little more with that run he has developed he’s there. Rudy Von Berg has been strong at 70.3 and would love to see how he competes at 140.6
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100%. RVB is only getting better and better. Currently in the south of France doing some epic rides and has been coached for a while now by Luc Van Lierde and improving each season. The best is yet to come for Rudy no doubt.
Quote Reply
Re: Bear Lake Brawl Pro Triathlon..today [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Ben and Jocelyn for me. Some choppy swim conditions should play to the favor of the stronger swimmers.

That swim was crazy. Super choppy, the Olympic course was shortened to 1000m and I still came in right around my usual 1500m time. The water's pretty shallow and a lot of people were walking. Nothing like swimming along and crashing into someone standing still on their feet. Absolutely frigid on the bike but the high wind made for a real nice tailwind at times so I'll take it. After I finished and was packing up to leave everything had died down and the sun was out (mostly) and it had warmed up- much better weather for the people still out on the full distance course. Bummer to see Jocelyn not start, but a couple of the pros said encouraging things as they blew by me on the run course. That was nice :)
Quote Reply
Re: Bear Lake Brawl Pro Triathlon..today [ut_maker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a brutal day for sure. I did the Oly and at 1000M I was still a good 3-6 minutes slower for the swim, ahahah. I was probably the idiot that stood up I couldn't see the buoy while swimming so I had no idea where I was going. The bike was super fast though and the wet conditions though cold did help with CRR for fast bike splits. The cold got to me even in the Oly. Mile 4 of the run my calves just tightened up and my achilles really started to hurt. I backed off the last 2.5 miles on the run. Damn achilles will get ya, hahah. My wife did the full and she got very very cold but she executed it to the perfection of her ability and went sub 11:00. She said she was on lap 2.5 of the swim when the waverunner came up and said only 2 two laps if you are in the full, she just kinda laughed and wrapped up the lap. Tough Tough day for sure. Great job for completing it. I chatted with Hanson briefly afterwards and he said he was the coldest race he has ever done. Might be true in the moment I am sure it was, lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Bear Lake Brawl Pro Triathlon..today [lonniecdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the Full as well that day and it was the craziest weather conditions I have ever had in a triathlon. I was on the run course when the second wave of crazy wind and freezing rain came by. I thought my day was over. It was soooo cold and as a skinny guy that just sucked all the energy right out of me. Luckily it only lasted for 45 minutes or so, but the damage was done. I finished, but an hour later than I wanted to. I have raced in the Bear Lake area before and it's always tough. It's aptly named Bear Lake BRAWL. Congrats to Sam Long, the kid is super entertaining. The video he put out about his performance at this race is priceless.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bear Lake Brawl Pro Triathlon..today [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kuddos to you, I was working the turn around aid station with my family so I probably saw you!. My wife did the Full as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
Ben froze and never recovered. Sam called out Lionel at finish line. Sam said he will be at Daytona to race Lionel.

I watch Sam's race report on YouTube......his last interview was hard to make out because of the wind noise on the video. Did he say he was going to Cozumel 70.3?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Bear Lake Brawl Pro Triathlon..today [lonniecdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, congrats to your wife. She killed it getting 2nd overall. Amazing in those conditions. It's funny that you guys were the turnaround aid station. When I got there the first time I was looking pretty miserable and some guy (maybe you) there told me "hey, at least it's not raining!" and then a woman slapped him and said "don't say that! It was raining this morning!". That brought a smile to my face but then later in that loop the crazy freezing rain, lightning and wind storm came through and I was cursing you guys for jinxing it! LOL. Thanks for volunteering in very tough conditions, even if you jinxed crazy weather on me. :-)

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bear Lake Brawl Pro Triathlon..today [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, that was me. Sorry I jinxed it. I love working aid stations it is sometimes those people that can give a little boost to make it another mile, I have been there for sure. I meant to say, hey at least it isn't raining on the bike anymore. Sorry lol. Ya, my wife had a banner day for sure, I was heading on out the Oly run and she was coming across the north end of the lake and she just shook her head. I thought she might pull the plug and rightfully so. She got dry clothes and then was good. She beat the storm how anyone kept going in that mess is amazing. I saw lightening and told the RD thought maybe he would end it. Good job on finishing that day!
Quote Reply

Prev Next