Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Beam bikes and low back pain?
Quote | Reply
Since I'm a chiropractor, I would appreciate any feedback on beam bikes such as Softride, Titanflex, etc. in case I get asked for a recommendation. As regular posters have probably noted, I'm a Cervelo/Giant TCR guy and have never even rode a Softride or Titanflex, so I'm not really qualified to tell a patient to have a look at a beam bike. Did any of you chose beam bikes because of low back problems? What have been your impressions? Have any studies been done wih beam bikes/low back pain? Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Beam bikes and low back pain? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a Softride 9 yrs ago for two reasons. 1. adjustability and 2. I had some LB p every time I rode my other bike. The pain amounted to weak LB muscles. I loved the ride of my Softride. My back didn't hurt when on the Softride and I was just plain faster both on the bike and run w/in 2 weeks. I have no back pain on either my alum road bike or my Softride TT bike now. It was a tough choice between either a P2K or a TT7 this year but I went with what I know works for me and bought the softride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lower back pain definitely played a role in my decision to buy a Softride.

I am thrilled with it after more than a full season on Softride, and I find that I just don't have any of the back discomfort off my Softride that I had after rides of similar distance/duration/effort level/terrain that I once had on my aluminum Giant. My back doesn't hurt after rides, I think I'm faster on the Softride, and I'm much fresher on the run.

Just this week, I was reminded of the additional benefit of the beam--absorbing normal rad shock--as I felt every crack in the pavement come up through the aerobars into my arms, but felt absolutely nothing in my back and butt as I did circuits on a horrible course near my house.

Ben H

Christian, Husband, Father, Ranger, Triathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to the Softride tt7 last year after years on a trek oclv just because of nagging lower back pain. It has made a world of difference. I have a leg length difference, which probably contributes to the problem. The beam seems to have some lateral flex as well as suspension benefits, so it may help in that respect as well. I'm faster, so the flex apparently isn't sapping my power production. So far my only problem with the SR is the cheap piece of crap upper pivot assembly that comes with it, which broke within 600 miles or so. They've got a better version out now but the bike doesn't come with it.

Currently working with Tom Slocum of High Sierra Cycles to further compensate for the leg length problem. As a chiropractor, you may find it interesting to talk with him. As of yet I haven't experienced the benefits that he has promised, but it's still early in the game.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe that jurgen zack switched to softride several years ago because of back pain and later creditied it for saving his career.
Quote Reply