Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bay Area "Shelter in Place"
Quote | Reply
In 6 counties, starting at 12am Tuesday: https://www.sfchronicle.com/...ou-need-15135087.php

Non-essential travel “on foot, bicycle, scooter, automobile or public transit” is prohibited.
Quote Reply
Re: Bay Area "Shelter in Place" [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. Even in Italy's lockdown, they are allowed to run alone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's worded contradictory but below it says

Quote:
Can I still go outside for essentials, exercise and fresh air?
Yes. People will still be able to leave their homes to handle essential business in limited circumstances — like buying groceries or picking up medicine — and to get fresh air. But when people do need to leave their homes, health officials are requiring they maintain at least six feet from other individuals and that they wash their hands for at least 20 seconds as often as possible.They’re also calling on people to cover their coughs and sneezes and to avoid shaking hands.

So if you are running on your own it might be ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doubtless there will be "sanctuary neighborhoods" where you can have a party and they won't rat you out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not this bad in the US, yet, but there is some solid logic to why to ban cycling. From an article on another site:

"“Stay at home and put the bike aside,” Mascias said. “Whatever possibility to minimize the impact on the resources of medical services that is not directed toward coronavirus is primordial.
“If any cyclist suffers an incident and needs an ambulance or a bed in intensive care, we are taking it away from people who truly need it, who are now arriving en masse to hospitals,” he continued. “If something happens to you now, maybe you have a chance [to be treated], but you will be taking it away from someone else … but in 48 hours, if something happens to you, the one who is left without [ICU] might be you, those who are now riding your bikes.”
https://www.velonews.com/...h-on-cyclists_507946

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calm down it's not that bad:

Quote:
What sports can I play?

You can engage in certain activities outdoors, but you should not play sports indoors or play team sports.
Sports that are permitted (as long as you maintain at least six feet from anyone else and don’t share equipment):
  • yoga on your own (no sharing blocks or mats)
  • running alone or with others with distance
  • riding your bike (alone/with distance)
  • walking (alone/with distance)
  • stretching
  • swimming in the ocean or in your own pool/hot tub
  • shooting baskets by yourself, or hitting a tennis ball against a backboard

Not permitted:
  • any team sports where there is any contact or where a ball or other equipment is touched by multiple people (soccer, baseball, basketball, Frisbee, etc.)
  • swimming in a communal pool
https://sf.gov/...cept-essential-needs
Last edited by: aeroyoost: Mar 16, 20 14:47
Quote Reply
Re: Bay Area "Shelter in Place" [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just took my bike off the trainer after a year and a half. Did three outdoor rides, but was thinking Sun how irresponsible it was since I could have an accident.

Went home and put the bike on the trainer. I actually enjoyed riding outside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the San Francisco Chronicle:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/...ou-need-15135087.php

Can I still go outside for essentials, exercise and fresh air?
Yes. People will still be able to leave their homes to handle essential business in limited circumstances — like buying groceries or picking up medicine — and to get fresh air. But when people do need to leave their homes, health officials are requiring they maintain at least six feet from other individuals and that they wash their hands for at least 20 seconds as often as possible.They’re also calling on people to cover their coughs and sneezes and to avoid shaking hands.
Quote Reply
Re: Bay Area "Shelter in Place" [aeroyoost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like biking and running outside is still on! I think it'd be good not to refill at communal fountains, though. Bring enough water for your ride or plan your route so you can make a pit stop at home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you, this is a good resource to have!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thankfully it looks like most Bay Area parks will remain open though there is no staffing and no "attractions" are open.
I hope the rest of the nation follows suit, please!

Thank God we can at least enjoy training in the outdoors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aeroyoost wrote:
Calm down it's not that bad:

Quote:
What sports can I play?

You can engage in certain activities outdoors, but you should not play sports indoors or play team sports.
Sports that are permitted (as long as you maintain at least six feet from anyone else and don’t share equipment):
  • yoga on your own (no sharing blocks or mats)
  • running alone or with others with distance
  • riding your bike (alone/with distance)
  • walking (alone/with distance)
  • stretching
  • swimming in the ocean or in your own pool/hot tub
  • shooting baskets by yourself, or hitting a tennis ball against a backboard

Not permitted:
  • any team sports where there is any contact or where a ball or other equipment is touched by multiple people (soccer, baseball, basketball, Frisbee, etc.)
  • swimming in a communal pool
https://sf.gov/...cept-essential-needs

Give it a couple more weeks. It will be “that bad.”
Quote Reply
Re: Bay Area "Shelter in Place" [janski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, hopefully people will be more conscious of blowing snot rockets.
Quote Reply
Re: Bay Area "Shelter in Place" [sjcby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And my 15 year old son can't cruise around downtown Mountain View with his girlfriend.
Quote Reply
Re: Bay Area "Shelter in Place" [janski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still fnding a way to jog reminds me of that nike y2k ad....

janski wrote:
Sounds like biking and running outside is still on! I think it'd be good not to refill at communal fountains, though. Bring enough water for your ride or plan your route so you can make a pit stop at home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who swims in a hot tub??

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Bay Area "Shelter in Place" [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I heard the clarification on this on NPR today. You CAN do your outdoors fun, but alone and spaced out. So, solo runner/biker would be fine.

I would think though that it would be frowned upon to have a ton of people together circling a park or something.
Quote Reply
Re: Bay Area "Shelter in Place" [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Yeah, I heard the clarification on this on NPR today. You CAN do your outdoors fun, but alone and spaced out.

So much for triathletes going for a bike ride...

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Bay Area "Shelter in Place" [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
Yeah, I heard the clarification on this on NPR today. You CAN do your outdoors fun, but alone and spaced out.

So much for triathletes going for a bike ride...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
friskyDingo wrote:
In 6 counties, starting at 12am Tuesday: https://www.sfchronicle.com/...ou-need-15135087.php

Non-essential travel “on foot, bicycle, scooter, automobile or public transit” is prohibited.

Doesn't everyone already live in shelters there?
Quote Reply