Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Base Performance Hydro - On course
Quote | Reply
This year at IM Mont Tremblant they're replacing gatorade for Base Hydro. This isn't a product we have hear in canada so it isn't easy for me to test.

I was wondering though if anyone has had issues with the fructose in it? I know a lot of people struggle to digest fructose during exercise so it surprised me this was replacing gatorade.
Quote Reply
Re: Base Performance Hydro - On course [amckenzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't tried this product except for a quick taste test and I did not like the flavours. I tried it at the expo for IM 70.3 Victoria. It's my understanding that Base is now the on course hydration for all Canadian IM branded events.

There is a Canadian distributor if you want to get your hands on some: http://www.triboutique.ca/...te-Salt-s/189022.htm They do free shipping in Canada on orders over $100.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried it at the Expo in Victoria, too. They only had one flavour for the bike: peach-mango. I thought it tasted vile.
Last edited by: gaukler: Jun 4, 19 14:13
Quote Reply
Re: Base Performance Hydro - On course [gaukler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also had it in Victoria..... on course it seemed pretty watered down so not sure if I would have felt much adverse affect. If it was the typical mix it’s much less sugary vs Gatorade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had it this weekend at Victoria 70.3. Tried it at the expo and had some during the run (had my own nutrition on the bike). It does taste very watery/not a strong taste, both on course and at the expo, so I assume this is just how it's suppose to be. Didn't have any issue with it. Wasn't amazed by the flavors though, but they aren't that strong.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In preparation for IMMT, I just got some lemon lime flavored hydro last week. I've used it a few times on my long runs so far to try it out. I'm not a big fan of the taste/flavor - it's very chalky and pretty weak. I haven't noticed any negatives in terms of digestion or performance, though. I think it'll just be a matter of getting used to the taste, then I'll be fine with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi there. I am the owner of BASE Performance and developed Hydro, so I'm more than happy to answer any questions. Regarding the Fructose, it is approx 4 grams per serving. Very minimal. Regarding why Ironman Switched from Gatorade to BASE, I do not have that answer. I do know that many athletes are very happy that there is zero added colors or preservatives in our BASE Hydro mix, plus BASE Hydro is loaded with sodium

When I developed Hydro, we wanted it to very subtle in taste. Similar to Flavored water. When I personally race 70.3 or longer, I can't handle the super sugary tasting sweet drinks all day. Eventually my pallet gives out. So we made the drink as light as possible, loaded with sodium zero artificial colors, 5 flavors, gluten free, and with three sugar sources (50% maltodextrin, 30% dextrose, 20% fructose).

Ironman tested out a lot of different products with different athletes and BASE Hydro won out.

Hope that clarifies.

We have about 10 retailer in Canada who offer to ship to customers, and BASE just opened a Warehouse in Victoria Monday, so we will be able to ship Canada to Canada next week.

Last edited by: mattmiller: Jun 12, 19 14:34
Quote Reply
Re: Base Performance Hydro - On course [mattmiller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely. Gatorade recently has become a vomit fest the last few Ironman races I've used it. Not sure if the formula changed, but the second I took a drink--I was throwing up right afterwards. Plus, the aid stations seemd to always have it warm or room temperature, which made it worse.

I would rather drink plain water than use Gatorade from an aid station. But the little Gatorade block/chews sure are tasty! Never had Base Drink or whatever..couldn't comment on it at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Base Performance Hydro - On course [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM Whistler had Base Hydro for oncourse hydration, but has recently been edited to show Gatorade Endurance. I've inquired to Ironman to see what's actually going to be oncourse been have received no reply.

Last year sucked where they had Gatorade Endurance listed but then serves normal Gatorade!

Anyone have insight for Whistler?
Quote Reply
Re: Base Performance Hydro - On course [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Man. Here is the direct link to on course nutrition for Ironman Whistler.

http://www.ironman.com/...n.aspx#axzz5q285e7WW

BASE Hydro is the on course Drink.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattmiller wrote:
Hey Man. Here is the direct link to on course nutrition for Ironman Whistler.

http://www.ironman.com/...n.aspx#axzz5q285e7WW

BASE Hydro is the on course Drink.

Thanks...that was literally edited within the past 24 hours!
Quote Reply
Re: Base Performance Hydro - On course [smccauley49] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As an FYI, Peach Mango will be on the bike. IM changed it up. Send me a message and I'll set you up with some to try. matt@baseperformance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone who answered, and really appreciate you taking the time matt to respond to this. I was happy to see they changed from regular gatorade, especially with the low sodium version we get in Canada. I was concerned it would be a more even split and in large consumption being hard to digest due to the fructose, so thanks for sharing the percentages of carbohydrates. Would love to see how it stacks up directly against gatorade endurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your response, Matt! I sent you an email.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Matt, how many oz and carbs for the bottles that will be available in the ironman whistler bike course aid stations. I see that sodium for each bottle will be 400mg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Guys. Sorry for the delay. I'll try to answer all the questions and emails. We have 3 expos going on this weekend with IM Boulder, Wisconsin 70.3 and Eagleman. So we are buried. Plus I have a 4 month old. No sleep currently.

I created a 30% off discount code specific to this slowtwitch thread. It will be good through Monday night. so I hope you can use to try some of the products out.

You guys are all the best. Thanks for the continued support.
Quote Reply
Re: Base Performance Hydro - On course [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Pablo - we are trying something different this year. At the races, the bottles will be approx. 22 ounces (24 oz but the volunteer dumps a little out so it can shake). We then add 2 scoops of Peach Mango Hydro to the bottle and shake. We are doing this so that what you train with is identical to what is on course. No changes.

This will put you at about 160 Calories, 42 grams of Carbs, and 560 mg of sodium.

Hope that is what you were looking for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you!!! Looks like good amounts of carbs and sodium per bottle.
Quote Reply
Re: Base Performance Hydro - On course [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are there any other on course options being contemplated besides Peach Mango? Can't stomach anything Mango flavoured. Just the thought of a Peach Mango flavour drink during an event makes me nauseous.
Quote Reply
Re: Base Performance Hydro - On course [IM_Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM_Rick wrote:
Are there any other on course options being contemplated besides Peach Mango? Can't stomach anything Mango flavoured. Just the thought of a Peach Mango flavour drink during an event makes me nauseous.

If only they had some special place near the halfway mark where you could pick up more of your own bottles. That would be so freaking cool.

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Re: Base Performance Hydro - On course [T.Skelton3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T.Skelton3 wrote:
IM_Rick wrote:

If only they had some special place near the halfway mark where you could pick up more of your own bottles. That would be so freaking cool.

Yes, when it's been sitting in the sun for 5 hours. That's really refreshing.
Quote Reply
Re: Base Performance Hydro - On course [IM_Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM_Rick wrote:
T.Skelton3 wrote:
IM_Rick wrote:

Yes, when it's been sitting in the sun for 5 hours. That's really refreshing.

You may not have noticed, but it’s called “Ironman”, not “Pussyman”.

Food for thought.

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply