Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BarryP running - Recovery weeks and tapering
Quote | Reply
Hi guys,

I've been following barryp running plan (3:2:1 ratio and 6x a week). I started at 26mi a week and have been ramping up every few weeks. Now at a lil over 33 mi/week. Basically 4mi on short runs, 6.2 on medium runs, and 9.3 on long runs. Ya i know its not exactly 1:2:3 ratio but I just bumped the short runs up hehe. Target pace is easy pace around 7:20-8:00 min/mile. I've also been throwing in a tempo run every other week and have done a PR 5k and PR 10k run in the mix.

Running this much and cycling/swimming is starting to get a lil tiring. For the first time since I started barryp, my legs felt a lil dead on this mornings run... so I probably wont increase the volume for a month or so (I did do a long bike ride last night which could have helped the fatigue :P ). Now what? Do I do recovery weeks and lower the volume to get the legs fresh again? My half marathon comes in March. How does the taper look for barryp programs? Do I just lower the volume on taper weeks or do I lower the intensity, or both?
Last edited by: 125mph: Jan 7, 13 15:13
Quote Reply
Re: BarryP running - Recovery weeks and tapering [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
May I introduce you to BarryP RunTraining?
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485

-J
Quote Reply
Re: BarryP running - Recovery weeks and tapering [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not familiar with the program that you are using, but I dial back volume every 4th week to let my body catch up. I'd listen to those legs. Lots of options including just taking a day off.

Blogging at http://swimbikestumble.com/

Taking life one adventure/disaster at a time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read the link that was provided to his program. You are either running too hard or too long. The idea is to run easy enough that you can do the next run without your legs feeling too tired to do it.

Having said that, if you feel you need to take a day off, by all means do it. Then adjust your pace or distance so that you can do all six runs per week as scheduled. Ideally, you won't be stressing yourself such that you have to take a recovery week.

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7:20 pace is pretty fast. Are you fit enough to be running that fast?

Everyone is different, but I've found that with the stresses of triathlon training that I always did better if my short runs were in the mid to low end of the recovery zone. 7:20 would be a good recovery pace if you run 5Ks in the low 15s. 7:20 - 8:00 is about what you should be running if you are a 17:30 5K guy.

Check out the pace calculator at McMillan Running.com

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
Quote Reply
Re: BarryP running - Recovery weeks and tapering [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
7:20 pace is pretty fast. Are you fit enough to be running that fast?

Everyone is different, but I've found that with the stresses of triathlon training that I always did better if my short runs were in the mid to low end of the recovery zone. 7:20 would be a good recovery pace if you run 5Ks in the low 15s. 7:20 - 8:00 is about what you should be running if you are a 17:30 5K guy.

Check out the pace calculator at McMillan Running.com

Hi Barry..

My fastest 5K is 19:45 right now. I was told to use mcmillian calculator and find the "easy pace" which lists it at 7:26 to 8:26. I've been aiming for around 7:20-7:35 for my short runs, and 7:45-8:00 for my medium and long runs. My heart rate stays around 140-155 which is only z2/z3 so I didn't think I was over doing it. Actually I ran my short 4mi run today at 7:26 and felt pretty good. I think I was dead tired yesterday from a long bike ride the previous day lol. The pace that day was 8:17 which was my "recovery" pace.

So you suggest I tone it back a lil due to the tri training?
Last edited by: 125mph: Jan 8, 13 9:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only if you need to. You can go as slow as 9:15 if you are feeling beat up.

Good to hear you are feeling good again!

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
Quote Reply