Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: BarryP., Desert Dude, Other Running Gurus Please Advise: Base Training After Failed Marathon Buildup [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks BarryP. My last stand alone time for 10K was 44:26 at the end of September and I feel that even with the 2 weeks off from running, I have maintained much of the fitness through increased cycling and swimming. Just before the 2 week break I ran a 44 min. 10K training run so I feel that's pretty accurate still.

I did a 2 mile transition run this morning after 30 min. on the trainer and felt good. I wanted to keep the pace under 8:30 so it was a slow run just to feel the knee out. I didn't bring my watch and I was actually a tad faster than that but it was very easy on me.

I plan to do as you are saying and run 6 days minimum at a slower pace than I was before, using the calculator as you described. I don't plan to do any speed work for 8 weeks, just build a base. My A race is May 1st, St. Anthony's, so I will start 1 threshold run per week in January and add another one 8 weeks out from the race. I will be doing some stand alone, 5 and 10K, races if I feel good. I will only run those stand alone races if I feel I am up to it.

I hear you on the long run max. so I won't even worry about it. Since I have only had a two week break, should a 2,4,6 mileage plan work for me or should I scale that back a bit as well? I was planning on using that to start and slowly add from there.

Thanks so much for all your input and have a great day.

----------------------------------------------------

"It's too dangerous and expensive to ride with d*ckheads" -tridork

Quote Reply
Re: BarryP., Desert Dude, Other Running Gurus Please Advise: Base Training After Failed Marathon Buildup [craigstrispot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's all pretty reasonable. Just make sure you listen to your body and don't force anything.

Look for my section on threshold runs. I think its in part 2. For an Oly the 20 and 40 minute threshold runs will be more apporpriate. The 60 minute ones I personally think are more valuable for HIMs and marathons. I like to rotate them back and forth.....20 min one week, 40 the next *at a somewhat slower pace). Desert Dude prefers sticking to one for a good 4 weeks before switching to anything. During the 8 week race prep phase, that second workout can be a mix of intervals and threshold training. The intervals don't get too crazy, though. They are mostly at open 10K pace, which is faster than Oly race pace. I do just a taste of 5K pace. This is different than what a lot of people do, which I think gets them in trouble, which is to hammer away at 5K pace (and faster) week in and week out. This is better for open 5K training, which is a much different pace than Oly racing.

On a side note, I knew a guy who did this hoping to BQ. Two weeks before blowing up in his marathon he ran a 5K PR. When training for a marathon, you are supposed to PR in the marathon...not the 5K. ; ^ )

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: BarryP., Desert Dude, Other Running Gurus Please Advise: Base Training After Failed Marathon Buildup [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again BarryP. I have printed out all your plan sections and think I have a handle on an actual "plan" this time instead of my normal, run 3 days at ?? pace and distance, bike 3 days and swim if I feel like it, training from the past.

You are a great resource for all of us and I really appreciate it. Have a great day.

P.S. I'm not complaining but you should charge more. I've paid a lot more and got a lot less.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It's too dangerous and expensive to ride with d*ckheads" -tridork

Last edited by: craigstrispot: Nov 15, 10 7:21
Quote Reply

Prev Next