Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Barkley 2023 began this morning - good luck, idiots
Quote | Reply
They left to go out there at 8:54am
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley 2023 began this morning - good luck, idiots [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Conch 8:54, left the gate at 9:54. Sorry for confusion
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley 2023 began this morning - good luck, idiots [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kelly and Sabbe are in the field.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Mar 14, 23 9:10
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley 2023 began this morning - good luck, idiots [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there are three guys with a combined 5 finishes there. In addition to these three, and the names you've mentioned, there are some other big guns who have done very well there. The field is crazy loaded this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any live feed or tracker?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jasmin Paris is back, after completing the Fun Run (one lap short of a finish) last time..

coverage on Twitter, not sure if anywhere else..
https://twitter.com/search?q=%23BM100
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley 2023 began this morning - good luck, idiots [schag001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schag001 wrote:

Not really. @keithdunn is the primary twitter source for info. The participants are not publicly announced unless and until they finish a loop.
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley 2023 began this morning - good luck, idiots [schag001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Think a few of the sponsors do some updates on their websites, but I usually wait for updates on social media. There is, or was, no live track.

Think most of the immediate updates are done on the Keith Dunn twitter account.
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley 2023 began this morning - good luck, idiots [ianmo80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going to be extremely cold tonight. I'd be shocked if anyone finishes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, @keithdunn does a great job with Barkley and other ultra coverage - you just need to skip over/past the jamband content he also posts

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
schag001 wrote:

There's this: https://t.co/9geKisSVho. #bm100 on Twitter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Thanks. I found out about the race last year while looking for something to watch on the treadmill. Never heard of it. I really enjoyed watching it.

One of my bucket lists is the Norseman race. This is just something that I don't think I could do. I love the challenge though.
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley 2023 began this morning - good luck, idiots [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:

Seems mild so far*: "Good news for the runners: not all the water jugs at the Tower were frozen solid. #BM100."
-- https://twitter.com/.../1635732653319094290

*I feel like every utterance from and about Laz and Barkley is always either the most sincere pronouncement or cynical jibe (and sometimes both at once). Just one aspect of his and the race's allure.
Last edited by: apmoss: Mar 14, 23 14:06
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley 2023 began this morning - good luck, idiots [apmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apmoss wrote:
USCoregonian wrote:

Seems mild so far*: "Good news for the runners: not all the water jugs at the Tower were frozen solid. #BM100."
-- https://twitter.com/.../1635732653319094290

*I feel like every utterance from and about Laz and Barkley is always either the most sincere pronouncement or cynical jibe (and sometimes both at once). Just one aspect of his and the race's allure.

Cold but no rain, and fog shouldn’t be a problem.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley 2023 began this morning - good luck, idiots [apmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ian Seabiscuit @ijspurcell
Replying to @keithdunn

ultrarunning's lack of diversity is somewhat illustrated with "tall bearded guy" referring to approximately half the field

Quote Reply
Re: Barkley 2023 began this morning - good luck, idiots [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Replying to @keithdunn

ultrarunning's lack of diversity is somewhat illustrated with "tall bearded guy" referring to approximately half the field

You can do that for any sport

Football - tall fat guy
Basketball - tall black guy
Hockey - tall Canadian guy
Cycling - short Euro guy
Running - skinny Kenyan guy
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley 2023 began this morning - good luck, idiots [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two guys through 2 loops
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley 2023 began this morning - good luck, idiots [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Several runners on course for 100miles.

Lead group off Kelly, Hall and Casas out on loop 3 after around 21hrs. Jasmin Paris, overall record holder on the Spine is out after around 21.5hrs, which is looking good for the ladies.

Other runners such as Sabbe, Poloncy and Nonorgue out in very good time too.

Could this be the year more finishers are added?
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley 2023 began this morning - good luck, idiots [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
RandMart wrote:
Replying to @keithdunn

You can do that for any sport

Football - tall fat guy
Basketball - tall black guy
Hockey - tall Canadian guy
Cycling - short Euro guy
Running - skinny Kenyan guy

Good point

There's a reply that implies that the other half of the field would be "girl with braids"

Quote Reply
Re: Barkley 2023 began this morning - good luck, idiots [ianmo80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a fantastic tracker/visualization - hope he can keep up [he's using two sets of inputs off Twitter: @keithdunn + @taka_does_stuff]

https://twitter.com/.../1635994411229224960

Quote Reply
Re: Barkley 2023 began this morning - good luck, idiots [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a nice resource. My brain was starting to melt trying to figure out who was Smiling Guy with a Purple Beard Wearing All Black and a Pushup Bra.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://dumbrunner.com/...carcasses-from-trees

The Barkley Marathons is known for being tough—only 15 runners in the past 35 years have even finished the brutal 100-plus-mile ultra, which navigates an unmarked route in the mountains of eastern Tennessee, often through horrible weather.

Runners competing in this year’s event, which started yesterday, however, are in for a surprise that’s shocking even by Barkley standards: An extraterrestrial creature with superhuman strength, an extraordinary talent for camouflage, and a singular drive to hunt and kill other species for sport.

“Basically, we figured it was time to raise the bar, spice things up,” said Alan "Dutch" Schaefer, a Barkley Marathons spokesman, in a video interview. “We asked ourselves, Is the event tough? Well, obviously, it is. Could it be tougher? We decided it could.”

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:

Happy to be looking wrong here. Bunch of people making good time through two loops.

Former pro triathlete (for one race) John Kelly making very good time at the front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty cold last night in the SE USA, but temps today and tomorrow should be ideal for running. Hope we see some finishers
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley 2023 began this morning - good luck, idiots [BlackStumpGumby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oops — I would have thought the polite guy would be Harvey Lewis, who has won Badwater and podiumed there several times, and a frequent member of the U.S. 24-hour ultrarunning team. This is his second go at the Barkley Marathons. Turns out the Twitter poster is calling him “The Talkative Guy.” It’s Barkley, that won’t last.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Last edited by: SharonMcN: Mar 15, 23 10:55
Quote Reply

Prev Next