Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bar tape
Quote | Reply
What's your opinion on the best bar tape for your extensions?
Thinner?
Fabric?
Sticky?
Brand?

Whatchu got
Quote Reply
Re: Bar tape [swim_corey_run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Silca options.... https://silca.cc/collections/bar-tape-1

Also the Supacaz tape is very tacky and does not get slippery when wet so it's a good option as well.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swim_corey_run wrote:
Thinner?
Fabric?
Sticky?
Brand?

Whatchu got

I was literally JUST about to create a thread asking this same question. There are a couple in the archives, but they're extremely outdated.
I really like (and currently use) Fizik 2mm tacky microtex, but I'm looking for other options, for either extensions or bars. In general, the best reviewed traditional contenders are generally Supacaz, SRAM and Fizik. But I've seen people using tennis/racquet tape, skateboard tape (basically sandpaper), hockey stick tape, among a few others. So big bump on this thread.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sandpaper Tape

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't put bar tape on the aero bars of any of the bikes that I sell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swim_corey_run wrote:
Thinner?
Fabric?
Sticky?
Brand?

Whatchu got

On the extensions? None.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tennis racket tape.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Silca and Otion make grippy stickers that are great. I highly advise against skateboard tape. It exfoliates a lot more than I found comfortable... Why not use something that cost like $10 more and is made for the job?

Silca, Supacaz, and Enve tape are similar and all great. Very comfortable and stay grippy when wet.
Quote Reply
Re: Bar tape [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Tennis racket tape.

x2. i haven't taped extensions in a long time, but when i did, some version of tennis/squash/racket tape was the go-to option. the perception (?) was that it was quite low-profile/thin, but cheap, easy to work with, and dealt with sweat well.

side note: i'm a cheapskate and it hurts me to advocate this, but i recently installed zipp service course cx tape on my drop bars and . . . man, it's really nice.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Bar tape [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

+1. What is tape on the extensions doing for you? I concluded a few years ago I don't grip the extensions in a way that tape provides any additional comfort or grip support. Maybe others are different?
Quote Reply
Re: Bar tape [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly why I asked. To see what people use. I dont have anything on right now
Quote Reply
Re: Bar tape [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Silca and Otion make grippy stickers that are great. I highly advise against skateboard tape. It exfoliates a lot more than I found comfortable... Why not use something that cost like $10 more and is made for the job?

Silca, Supacaz, and Enve tape are similar and all great. Very comfortable and stay grippy when wet.

Here's the Silca "stickers" https://silca.cc/...nastro-aero-bar-tape

I have some but have not used it yet. I also got their bar tape that was voted best tape by one of the major magazines but also have not finished building the new bike. I have the Supacaz oil slick on my road bike and love it. Very cushy and really non slip. I had the fade version but can't recommend that as the tape peeled up where the change in colors happened.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Bar tape [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
Sandpaper Tape

+1 this stuff is great. I use it on the base bar as well
Quote Reply
Re: Bar tape [playguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

For Road Bike for years and years I used the Fizik Microtex bar tape - it had just the right amount of padding, and best feel for me when riding with cycling gloves. Big plus - I've always used white bar tape, and it never got dirty because it would wipe clean with a damp cloth and a sprintz of Simple Green! It would look brand new at the end of a cycling season!

Then the Silca Tape came along - and it was a game changer. Same overall feel and advantages as the Fizik, but with this just extra bit of vibration dampening that I really liked. Sold!

I love how Josh P and the team at Silca come up with these little things like that that do truly change the game in cycling!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Bar tape [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

For Road Bike for years and years I used the Fizik Microtex bar tape - it had just the right amount of padding, and best feel for me when riding with cycling gloves. Big plus - I've always used white bar tape, and it never got dirty because it would wipe clean with a damp cloth and a sprintz of Simple Green! It would look brand new at the end of a cycling season!

Then the Silca Tape came along - and it was a game changer. Same overall feel and advantages as the Fizik, but with this just extra bit of vibration dampening that I really liked. Sold!

I love how Josh P and the team at Silca come up with these little things like that that do truly change the game in cycling!

Agreed Fleck! Josh has me addicted to a LOT of his products. Great quality stuff, for sure!

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Bar tape [shotts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shotts wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

+1. What is tape on the extensions doing for you? I concluded a few years ago I don't grip the extensions in a way that tape provides any additional comfort or grip support. Maybe others are different?

it provides a little bit of grip and ergonomic/feel improvement, with probably no measurable aero or weight penalty. Silca is CEO'd by the king of marginal gains, and they decided it was a good idea to make a bar tape product specifically for aerobars. sure, theirs is a minimalistic and sleeker approach compared to standard bar tape. but it seems pointless to me to go with no tape whatsoever if there is no meaningful or measurable aero/weight penalty, and there are options like grip tape and silca's tape out there.

to the OP, I like S-wrap roubaix tape right now. Not just for aerobars, but just in general. I've found it isn't slippery when wet and I like the feel of it. It isn't super tacky or sticky, but provides good grip and I like the feel of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swim_corey_run wrote:
Exactly why I asked. To see what people use. I dont have anything on right now

I agree that in some cases none is required.
For me - I currently use the 2-button Di2 shifters on my extensions, which have the wire exiting the shifters external to the extensions. After a couple inches it re-enters the extension via a small hole. If I don't use any tape the wire is kind of dangling there.
So for now, I use lizard skins on the last few inches of the extensions, and on the base bar as well. Love the feel/grip. But I am interested in looking into some of the lower profile heat shrink stuff off amazon.
Quote Reply
Re: Bar tape [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CyclingClyde wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
Sandpaper Tape

When using this, are you just putting like one strip of it on the top side of the base bar handles? Or wrapping it like traditional tape?? Which width?

Thx!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
something really thin. Lizard Skin makes .5 and .8 mm baseball (and maybe something similar for lacrosse and hockey) tape. I prefer the .5--just about perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: Bar tape [shotts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shotts wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

Its not a grip thing for me personally. But, my hands get sweaty and I also like the feeling of resting them against a thin tape rather than just the extensions themselves.
Quote Reply
Re: Bar tape [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
shotts wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

Its not a grip thing for me personally. But, my hands get sweaty and I also like the feeling of resting them against a thin tape rather than just the extensions themselves.

For me, I have my shifters in the palms of my hands (mechanical) so tape doesn’t add anything.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Bar tape [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
shotts wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

For me, I have my shifters in the palms of my hands (mechanical) so tape doesn’t add anything.

That won’t work for anyone with electronic shifting.

Even for mechanical, I’m trying to picture your palms on the shifters....so your fingers (and presumably a portion of your palms which are longer than shifters) all extend past the shifters and are just dangling out there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This stuff

https://www.amazon.co.uk/...-Black/dp/B004WUV4B8
Thin cheap and grippy enough
Quote Reply
Re: Bar tape [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
CyclingClyde wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
Sandpaper Tape

When using this, are you just putting like one strip of it on the top side of the base bar handles? Or wrapping it like traditional tape?? Which width?

Thx!

I use a 2" roll, and I do one strip but I use it so it is one complete wrap without overlap. I line up the seam to be on the underside of the bar and then to make sure the adhesive sticks well, I temporarily wrap bar tape or a wider fabric ribbon over the sandpaper tape to put even pressure around the bar for a couple min. You could just do this with your hands but I found this really eliminates it from peeling up. If you lay the 2" wrap the other way (along the axis of the bar) it will wrap around ~3/4 of the circumference.
Quote Reply
Re: Bar tape [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
shotts wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

That won’t work for anyone with electronic shifting.

Even for mechanical, I’m trying to picture your palms on the shifters....so your fingers (and presumably a portion of your palms which are longer than shifters) all extend past the shifters and are just dangling out there?

Either dangling or a shift lever poking out between 2 fingers. Which 2 fingers depends on what gear I’m in. To shift I just rotate my wrist a tiny bit...

I agree, wouldn’t work fir electronic shifting. But I have no plans to adopt electronic shifting anytime soon

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next