Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bar Ends for Cannondale MTBs
Quote | Reply
Bought a Cannondale Habit 3 Carbon a little over a year ago and (still) love it.

One of the bar ends, though, has popped off. According to my LBS (where I bought the bike), generic replacement bar ends don’t work, and they've had no luck getting info from Cdale on how to go about replacements.

Anyone have similar issues with their MTB, Cannondale or otherwise?

#cureMS
Quote Reply
Re: Bar Ends for Cannondale MTBs [dseiler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Picture?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like your LBS is bullshitting you. MTB bars are a standard diameter at the grip end, and while carbon and aluminium bars don't always have quite the same inner diameter, the variance is not enormous. Grips like ESI's silicone grips come with bar ends that can be slightly trimmed for installation in carbon bars with a smaller internal diameter.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’re talking about bar ends? Or end plugs? 2 different things.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Bar Ends for Cannondale MTBs [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, and I’d be pretty surprised if a bike like the Habit came with “ends”
Quote Reply
Re: Bar Ends for Cannondale MTBs [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Picture?

Yeah. Sorry it took a while. Got distracted.

#cureMS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What does the other end of the bar look like?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dseiler wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
Picture?

Yeah. Sorry it took a while. Got distracted.

Ok. Its not a 'bar end' as mtb folks know it.

It is the locking collar for a lock-on grip.
Some traditional grips are 'slide / glue on', and either have a little end bung (just like on the end of road bars to prevent it being a cookie cutter) whilst others have a 'blind' end to cap off the bar.

More / most modern mtbs have moved to 'lock on' grips. These have an aluminium ring at the end that pinch-clamps onto the bar. That's what you have.
Often they wont have seperate lock rings available, grips are consumables inc the locking ring.

Some have a lock ring at each end (as yours DID) but others use one at the inner end and, and are eirher 'blind' at the outer end or come with a plastic bung, again to prevent cookie cutter syndrome.

Go buy a new pair of grips. Lots of choices out there. The most common / popular are made by ODI, and whilst they make about 20 kinds , their common one is a 'ruffian'.
Just google.

Or take a look at the following link for some other examples..

https://singletrackworld.com/...-lock-on-grips-2019/

They are 1 common diameter across all mtbs, irrespective of the bar diameter at the stem.
They can vary a little in length, so you may just need to shuffle the shifter/ brake lever along a bit.
Last edited by: BobAjobb: Mar 7, 19 12:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It happens. I wouldn't be surprised if most OEM grips are coming out of the same factory, so there's a chance you might be able to find another one that fits. It looks like an ODI design to me, but that's a total guess.

I agree with another poster that it could be a great time to upgrade to different grips. There's nothing special about your current grips and it should be easy to find something similar (or way better) for a reasonable cost.
Quote Reply
Re: Bar Ends for Cannondale MTBs [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Ok. Its not a 'bar end' as mtb folks know it.

Geez, was it that obvious my roadie was showing?

Thanks for the info on proper terminology & the link. Will look into it though am flummoxed why the LBS didn't just sell me a new setup for the existing bar. But OK.

#cureMS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Bar Ends for Cannondale MTBs [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems very odd that you LBS wouldn't just sell you a random set of grips, pretty much every shop has them in stock from one brand or another, they are as common as bar tape on a road bike.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Re: Bar Ends for Cannondale MTBs [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
It seems very odd that you LBS wouldn't just sell you a random set of grips, pretty much every shop has them in stock from one brand or another, they are as common as bar tape on a road bike.

They had a fairly healthy inventory of varying brands on the wall, too. But whatevs.

Ordered a set of ODI Rogues online last night. They should arrive in enough time to get them thrown on the bars just as the forecast storms roll into the area.

#cureMS
Quote Reply