Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Banned from training, how should my diet change?
Quote | Reply
So I was hospitalized with pericarditis last weekend. Cardiologist told me I can't exercise at all (not even recoveryjogging, no corestability, no nothing) for an extended period.

Right.. so I'm used to training twice a day and eating a lot to support that. Because I'll basically be a couchpotatoe for a prolonged period I started cutting back on calories.

However, I was wondering what the best strategy is here. I've been cutting back mainly on carbs and reducing serving sizes in general. This does leave me quite hungry most of the time, but it's been just a few days, so I guess my body is still adjusting to the new in-out balance. I was wondering however if I should take in more protein to preserve muscle? It looks like time to lean out a bit more without undermining any training.
Quote Reply
Re: Banned from training, how should my diet change? [Fusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More Beer and Chips
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to a professional dietician: right now you should eat what is better for your heart healt, not for your muscles. Your muscles will come back when you'll be healty and back to training. Good luck
Last edited by: jollyroger88: Dec 11, 18 7:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm no nutritionists, but some tips that helped me.

Use nuts for snacks. 1 serving size for snacks can help satiate your appetite better than more protein heavy foods.
Drink lots of water. More often than not, the hunger indicator can also be an indicator for slight dehydration.
Balance your intake with the 2000 calorie diet unless you get tested to see how many calories a day just "walking" around uses. That's extreme, but you don't want to have your muscles break down due to malnutrition.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The short:
Talk to your primary care physician, dial back your entire intake for now, see a dietician if necessary.

The long:
It depends, if you have really bad or recurrent pericarditis, coupled with myocarditis (infection of the heart muscle), and/or know or don't know the cause of it you might be in for a long recovery (6 weeks or more), and need a full lifestyle dietary change, especially if it's related to a heart attack, immune problems etc. However, the condition may not be indicative of heart health/problem. If it's idiopathic or the cause is infection or other general life factors that irritated the bag of connective tissue around your heart there's generally less concern with regard to diet. Only a discussion with your doctor will help you decide this.

If it's mild, a couple or three weeks you might be back on your feet. An across the board overall intake reduction wont hurt anything and keep you from gaining too much, and IF there's no other serious implications from your doc that relate to this problem keeping your protein up slightly above the sedentary level likely won't hurt, unless its related to kidney or other serious problems.

Rest and let the connective tissue recover, doing NO EXERCISE, and pick up a stationary hobby or two for a while. (Its a lot more like a sprained ankle or even a broken bone than just sore muscles after workout, it takes a while for things to heal and/or clear infection). When you start back you have to start with less volume and intensity just like any other injury and build back slow. We're talking easy walking, not running riding or swimming.

Either way, there isn't much choice but to undermine training for now because the recovery of this condition simply takes a couple to several weeks or even months of no training/exhertion depending on the severity, and working out will not help. It's a much better option than feeling like you're having a heart attack all the time, and being able to hit it hard when you are properly recovered.

Matt Leu, M.S. Kinesiology
San Pedro Fit Works, Los Angeles, CA
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Consistency/time=results
Quote Reply
Re: Banned from training, how should my diet change? [ironmatt85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eat high fiber Raw foods to fight off the hanger pangs
Quote Reply
Re: Banned from training, how should my diet change? [ironmatt85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmatt85 wrote:
The short:
Talk to your primary care physician, dial back your entire intake for now, see a dietician if necessary.

The long:
It depends, if you have really bad or recurrent pericarditis, coupled with myocarditis (infection of the heart muscle), and/or know or don't know the cause of it you might be in for a long recovery (6 weeks or more), and need a full lifestyle dietary change, especially if it's related to a heart attack, immune problems etc. However, the condition may not be indicative of heart health/problem. If it's idiopathic or the cause is infection or other general life factors that irritated the bag of connective tissue around your heart there's generally less concern with regard to diet. Only a discussion with your doctor will help you decide this.

If it's mild, a couple or three weeks you might be back on your feet. An across the board overall intake reduction wont hurt anything and keep you from gaining too much, and IF there's no other serious implications from your doc that relate to this problem keeping your protein up slightly above the sedentary level likely won't hurt, unless its related to kidney or other serious problems.

Rest and let the connective tissue recover, doing NO EXERCISE, and pick up a stationary hobby or two for a while. (Its a lot more like a sprained ankle or even a broken bone than just sore muscles after workout, it takes a while for things to heal and/or clear infection). When you start back you have to start with less volume and intensity just like any other injury and build back slow. We're talking easy walking, not running riding or swimming.

Either way, there isn't much choice but to undermine training for now because the recovery of this condition simply takes a couple to several weeks or even months of no training/exhertion depending on the severity, and working out will not help. It's a much better option than feeling like you're having a heart attack all the time, and being able to hit it hard when you are properly recovered.

Thanks for the insight. It is idiopathic pericarditis and rather mild. The only thing i'm doing at the moment is trying to walk a bit more everywhere and i do 30min of yoga every day.
As for the diet, ill just load up on fiber, have a decent amount of protein by eating 0% Skyr as inbetweeners and cut back on carbs and fat.
Quote Reply
Re: Banned from training, how should my diet change? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
Go to a professional dietician: right now you should eat what is better for your heart healt, not for your muscles. Your muscles will come back when you'll be healty and back to training. Good luck

Isn't the heart a muscle?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2 cents: start using an app to count calories. There's tons of them out there (Loseit!, myfitnesspal, etc.) Set a calorie limit and stay within it. Bad news, I hope you're doing ok!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect, you'll be fine to keep the protein elevated, other macros down and just hang tight till it resolves.

Matt Leu, M.S. Kinesiology
San Pedro Fit Works, Los Angeles, CA
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Consistency/time=results
Quote Reply