Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Banned from Hawaii
Quote | Reply
Does anybody know why the HED Kona Coast was banned from Hawaii?

Does anybody know the actual ruling on wheels at Hawaii? When does a race legal wheel with a deep rim i.e a HED deep become a disk and be banned?

It a real pain in the butt having to have a special rear wheel for this one race. I know it can be real windy out there, I raced Hawaii on a set of Zipp 404's, but so can a lot of other races and they all seem to trust us to make independent rational decisions.

We are all big boy and girls now and I think we should be allowed to play with what toys we see fit!

AndyA
Last edited by: AndyA: Feb 25, 04 15:52
Quote Reply
Re: Banned from Hawaii [AndyA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember that when Hed came out with it in September '02, WTC said something to the effect of "its probably ok but its too close to the race to approve it for this year."

Did WTC come out with a position this year saying "absolutely not"?

Anyone who tells you they're as fast now as they were when they were 18...
sure wasn't very fast when they were 18.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Riding that thing in Kona on a bad day, and you'd better be a REAL big boy.
b

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
Re: Banned from Hawaii [Rich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the 26th July Bunnyman wrote "Since the Kona Coast was deemed illegal and the Kona Coast and Hed3 disc were yanked from production, this is the next logical thing.

I was surprised that I did not see the old Campy front "almost" disc pop up on a bike, as I did see a few of the I/Os pop up (particularly infamous on Ullrich's bike). I saw a dude in the Giro ride one, and he could not handle the bike very well at all and got a bike change.

Douglas A. Rogers, bunnyman institute" and I havn't seen one at Hawaii!

Try this wheel combo:

sorry the jpg were a lot smaller in my preview post!

Seriously though when does a deep become a disc anybody know?

AndyA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there is a surface area maximum for Kona. I need to check the rules, as I am wanting to modify a wheel for a friend's bike for Kona. If the max is what the Hed 3 is, then it's best for me to leave it be.

When does a deep wheel become a disc? When it has little to no open space. Maybe the new incarnation of the Hed3 Kona Coast will be "legal", who knows?
Quote Reply
Re: Banned from Hawaii [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks

Where can I find the rules?

AndyA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am selling one of the very rare HED Kona Coast disc wheels if anyone is interested. $1,000 to own a piece of triathlon history!
Quote Reply
Re: Banned from Hawaii [tkennedy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tkennedy wrote:
I am selling one of the very rare HED Kona Coast disc wheels if anyone is interested. $1,000 to own a piece of triathlon history!
Didn't know what this was and had to look it up. Awesome.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, I wonder why they didn't approve it?! So clearly not a disc wheel!

Very cool item. I wonder how aero that actually is.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Banned from Hawaii [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the famous words of bunny man, “ If the max is what the Hed 3 is, then it's best for me to leave it be. ”

Love this old thread. Always wanted a Kona Coast for Hawaii but it was never meant to be.
Last edited by: Herbie Hancock: Jan 12, 21 6:48
Quote Reply
Re: Banned from Hawaii [Herbie Hancock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the OP mean THEY were banned from Hawai'i; like kicked out and told never to return

Kinda like the way I'm not allowed in Ohio

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a photo of the HED Kona Coast wheel I am selling (might be very small due to Slowtwitch's policy).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming this is the one you are selling? 700c or 650c? Clincher or tubular?

Quote Reply
Re: Banned from Hawaii [Herbie Hancock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
700c, tubular. See photo
Last edited by: tkennedy: Jan 12, 21 9:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tkennedy wrote:

Holy resurrection Batman! I have a sophomore in high school younger than this thread!
Quote Reply
Re: Banned from Hawaii [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a new bike so promised my wife I would sell off some of my prized possessions. I'm sure you can relate :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tkennedy wrote:
I bought a new bike so promised my wife I would sell off some of my prized possessions. I'm sure you can relate :)

First, show us your new bike. Then, be sure to post this over at the classifieds section.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tkennedy wrote:

Oh my, selling a 17 year old wheel for more than it would have retailed in 2004. Awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Banned from Hawaii [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I posted it in Classified - thanks for the heads up. Even though I helped found Ironman North America I don't go on here very often.
Quote Reply
Re: Banned from Hawaii [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
Oh my, selling a 17 year old wheel for more than it would have retailed in 2004. Awesome.

...nobody tell this dude about the classic car market. Or Antiques Roadshow.
Quote Reply
Re: Banned from Hawaii [BowwwwBallll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BowwwwBallll wrote:
beston wrote:

LOL, and indeed I've no idea why they banned that wheel when it's nothing at all like a disk. Completely different.

But this is 100% the proof / justification I need for why I have a room with plastic tubs of what some silly people* would call "broken old useless bike junk" and not the emerging archive of future goldmine components.

The Cannondale F2000 with Electronic Lefty fork mountain bike in it's full 3x8 speed goodness is possibly the most likely to actually be worth something, but the 'random assortment' of look pedals, octalink chainsets, clip on profile tri bars, and the Polar magnetic powermeter are surely in with a shout. Actually, the 3x ultegra 9speed chains in original box, sealed plastic wrap genuinely may be worth something if component shortages carry on as they are.

*to be clear and explicit, I am not calling my wife a silly person. Definitely not.
Quote Reply
Re: Banned from Hawaii [BowwwwBallll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BowwwwBallll wrote:
beston wrote:

This is not a classic car, Antique, or anything of historical importance. ...There will never be an antique road show evaluation of this wheel (...it makes me laugh to think about what an evaluator would say).

But hey, if you think it's a keeper, have at it!
Quote Reply
Re: Banned from Hawaii [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
BowwwwBallll wrote:
beston wrote:

This is not a classic car, Antique, or anything of historical importance. ...There will never be an antique road show evaluation of this wheel (...it makes me laugh to think about what an evaluator would say).

But hey, if you think it's a keeper, have at it!
Not a disc wheel, but when Antique Roadshow came through my town, I brought in a bike, a 1966 Schwinn Corvette that had been in a shop's attic for decades and was in near-new condition under half an inch of dust. The expert was that guy that always wears the plaid jackets and does toys. Anyway, he asked a couple questions but clearly had no idea what an appropriate value was, so he said "What did you pay for it?" and I told him. His response was "Well it's probably worth about that still." While the eval was a ways off, it was still fun to see all the crazy stuff other people brought in.
Quote Reply