Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bandits at Boston….
Quote | Reply
I always knew it happened, I just never knew how prevalent…

http://www.runnersworld.com/...News-_-BostonBandits
Quote Reply
Re: Bandits at Boston…. [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow and wow
Quote Reply
Re: Bandits at Boston�. [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope their names get published. What a bunch of losers. They could never qualify so they "stole" a spot and stole other peoples medals. Disgusting, stupid, idiots who don't deserve to be there

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well 2 have sometime unique looking singlets with team names. Twich-hunt away and lets run is always amazing at hunting people down
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ohh I can't wait for the internet dectectives to expose them.

I spectated the NYC half in 2012 by finish and there was a whole team of people chasing and basically tackling bandits to make sure they didn't cross the finish line without the proper bib. They caught like 10 of them during the hour I was watching. It was mostly no bibs or bibs from other races. I imagine fake bibs would get through. People are ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kara is one of the nicest people I know....and apparently the last person you want to piss off. It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Quote | Reply
When I participate in a race, my intention is to qualify (if necessary), register and pay per the event's established protocol, and participate according to the terms of the product I've purchased. Not everyone feels the same way that I do, and while I don't endorse the practice I'm not going to dictate their business. This is the problem that you invariably encounter when producing an event in a generally public setting.

Love them, or hate them, bandits will exist on open courses until race directors devise a way to sufficiently control all access points, and produce entirely unique, non-reproducible identification measures. While some were completely open to the "enhanced security" at this year's race, I doubt that many would be ready to pony up 10x entry fees to support the implementation of a militarized, 27-mile-long corral.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Bandits at Boston…. [magda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
two of the guys look like brothers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always knew people that wear headbands are evil. This is proof.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Macho Grande wrote:
I always knew it happened, I just never knew how prevalent…

http://www.runnersworld.com/...News-_-BostonBandits

It is just sad and pathetic.
Quote Reply
Re: Bandits at Boston…. [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I couldn't even imagine doing something like this. Just sad...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big River Running Company is in St. Louis, MO

Come on ST sleuths in MO, let's get a name to that girl!

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn that's takes bandits to a whole new level! Wow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to understand the massive damages incurred in this "crime". She still ran the race. Who really cares if some jokers are running it unofficially? No me.
Quote Reply
Re: Bandits at Boston…. [The Phoenix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Bandits at Boston…. [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
her FB page is already down.
Quote Reply
Re: Bandits at Boston…. [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, it was on lock down when I saw it except for the marathonfoto screenshot of one of her finishing photos
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well one of them is holding her cell phone so maybe she took a selfie (or thirteen)... And posted it on a blog...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Security at a large outdoor public event like this is really just an illusion. I shudder thinking about what other measures they may implement in the future. It's to be like going through TSA at the airport. That being said I hope they catch these wankers!
Quote Reply
Re: Bandits at Boston�. [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shouldn't they be also tracking down who SOLD them the bibs? Assuming someone forged these bibs and sold them, their biggest mistake was selling too many copies of the same number. Had they sold every person a different number they probably would have got away with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She posted a picture of her race number pre-race on Instagram... there is a lesson there, and a sad one at that.
Quote Reply
Re: Bandits at Boston…. [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you ever qualified for Boston or run the race? If you had you know why this isn't exactly like banditing your local 5k or 10k.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Macho Grande wrote:
Have you ever qualified for Boston or run the race? If you had you know why this isn't exactly like banditing your local 5k or 10k.

Bob

Except that for MANY years, BAA turned a blind eye to the bandits, realizing the "unofficial" field was somewhat of a local tradition for many. To put it into perspective, Dick Hoyt said in the Universal Sports promo that the first year they ran Boston, they were not ALLOWED to enter "The Marathon", but were told by BAA that they could "run behind" (bandit?) the race, which they did.

But I agree times have changed since then. This year, BAA added the bib requirement to enter the pre-race Village mainly because of the huge number of official entrants this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Bandits at Boston…. [markg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True, but this year they were banned and told not to run the race. It was in all 14593 emails they sent out.

Bob
Quote Reply

Prev Next