Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ball of foot pain
Quote | Reply
So, long battle with foot pain and looking for some advice, hopefully someone has experienced the same.

History – no significant problems prior to experiencing shin splints which took 6-9 months to fully clear-up. During this time I switched from a heel striker to a more forefoot style, mainly as a result of trying out some barefoot running on grass, also using Vibrams on the road. These seemed to help with the shin splints (along with physio and acupuncture) so I maintained this style.

Problem with ‘hot-foot’ first occurred during a 70.3, 1.5 mile into the run off a hilly bike course which I pushed really hard. It felt like someone was holding a blow torch to the sole of my feet, hence, I guess, where the term hot-foot comes from!
I’ve been to a couple of podiatrists, had custom orthotics, MRI, steroid injections, various trainers (Brooks, On Clouds, Hokas etc), but I still suffer from some numbness and mild pain in 2nd and 3rd toes & ball of foot after about 6-7 miles. I’m more of a mid-striker now.

Latest trip to podiatrist has resulted in him using some felt on the orthotics (not the custom ones as I found a pair on Amazon that are comfier and 10% of the cost of the custom ones) to spread out the load on the foot a bit better which seemed sensible, some improvement but 8-9 miles I can feel the numbness and pain coming.

I do think this is linked to the bike and tight calves, possibly hamstrings. I foam roll before and after running (this has helped a bit suggesting it is calf related) and stretch throughout the week, but probably nowhere near as much as I should. I also feel some minor numbness when on the bike, G8 variable insoles have cured most of this, but I still feel it on longer / harder rides.

I think (although have never really been diagnosed) I have Morton’s neuroma / Metatarsalgia as the symptoms and foot type (high arch, long 2nd toes) are very similar.

Have read different things on here ref wearing racing flats, or super cushioned, use orthotics / avoid orthotics, so am totally confused on what direction to go.
I’ve my first IM race this year so at this stage I will try anything!!

Hit me with recommendations / opinions on running style, trainers, stretching etc…..
Quote Reply
Re: Ball of foot pain [Neil_McC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My number 1 recommendation is not to push it if you start feeling the pain. I had occasional flare ups during training a few years ago that I worked through, then they got more persistent and more painful in 2019, tried to "push through" for some races, and it ended up being an unbearable throbbing pain anytime I had shoes on, even if I was just sitting. The real persistent pain went away after a couple months of no activity, but almost 2 years later and I still have flare-ups that have kept me from signing up for any race involving a run.

I find the most relief from wearing toe socks (Injinji) with "Correct Toes" which are just silicon toe spacers. You'll need to have wide toe box shoes like Altra's to fit these, and highly cushioned shoes provide the most comfort. I've seen podiatrist's, tried orthodics, metatarsal pads, but the correct toes and cushioned shoes were by far the best. Haven't gone down the path of surgery or alcohol sclerosing injections, but after two years of this I am considering it more and more.
Quote Reply
Re: Ball of foot pain [Neil_McC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, I had the exact same problem - started happening when I changed my gait - from heel strike to forefoot. I would get it mostly on hills, and speedwork, or on longer runs around the 10/12km mark. It would become unbearable to the point of having to stop. Once I stopped running for about 5 min it would actually go away, and many times I could continue running again.
My fix was really simple (after trying many of the same things you mentioned) - I was simply overtightening my shoes leading to circulation issues. I have really narrow feet, and have always tended to overtighten shoes - which I could get away with in heel strike. Now I dont even use the two closest (to the toes) eyelets, which has dramatically improved things. Using those elastic laces actually made things worse as they would naturally tighten with use. Likewise on the bike - the bottom boa is really loose, and the cleats are moved all the way back to allow more rooms for my toes.
Hope you can sort it out. All the best.
Quote Reply
Re: Ball of foot pain [werfetter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, will try that with the laces, I actually had them tied in a lock-lace quite tight to prevent heel slip so this is potentially one of the root causes.

I've also drilled 3x additional holes in my cycling shoes to move the cleats back even further (tried it first on an old pair) and this has relieved some of the numbness from cycling.
Quote Reply