Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bald guys and TT helmets
Quote | Reply
I finally got to ride outside yesterday and was testing out my new TT helmet (bell javelin). The helmet fits my head and does have some padding inside but not a ton. I got the helmet second hand from a guy who apparently never used it. Unfortunately I don't have much hair and what is left I buzz down super short. Since the TT hemet is mostly ventless I went out without the headsweats cap I sometimes wear otherwise. Once I started sweating it got all over my garmin and then finally got into my eye and burned the crap out of it. How do you bald guys manage with a TT helmet? Any tips or tricks? Thanks for your help.
Quote Reply
Re: Bald guys and TT helmets [AndrewL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is not the lack of hair. It sounds like it was too hot for no vents.

Even though the shield is faster, you can pop it off if it is super hot. That will let in a nice breeze.
Quote Reply
Re: Bald guys and TT helmets [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It does have 2 vents that let in a small breeze. Even in a normal helmet my head sweats a bunch and I'll wear a little beanie so it doesn't roll down into my eyes. I'd prefer not to pop off the shield, but can if thats the only solution. Would more helmet padding help? Should I commit to wearing and 80s style sweatband?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am bald not 1 piece of hair on my dome and I use the headsweats band on the bike and maybe run depends on how hot it is. I ll do anything to keep that sweat out of my eyes. Doesnt matter what kinda helmet I use in hott humid weather.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could try the sweat gutr things or the halo headbands. On long rides I take an extra halo headband as I will sweat through them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the acidity and saltiness of the sweat rolling down my face to gauge whether I'm taking on enough fluids. If my eyes are burning and there's a salt crust forming around them it normally means I'm dehydrated! No burning and moderate saltiness means I'm ok.

I went bald early and never really figured out any way of stopping the sweat rolling down my face. Head band or a Pantani style headscarf can delay the process somewhat but if it's hot enough and you're working hard enough then they just get saturated and the sweat comes down anyway. Best I've come up with is well vented helmets, sunscreen designed for sport that is sweat proof, and drinking enough that the sweat is mostly water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not bald but suggesting that you maybe consider getting some Velcro tape and add some more padding in the forehead area to prevent the sweat dripping directly over your eyes. Assuming there is enough room to fit something. Maybe a cut up headband to have 2 or 3 to swap out might work and then you can wash them all after a few rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Javelin is relatively breezy for a TT helmet. I've used it in tropical climates and desert sun. But, I guess if you're super-sensitive and sweat a lot, it might be worth considering an option that's fast without a visor - the Louis Garneau P-09 for example.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Bald guys and TT helmets [Msostar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Msostar wrote:
I am bald not 1 piece of hair on my dome and I use the headsweats band on the bike and maybe run depends on how hot it is. I ll do anything to keep that sweat out of my eyes. Doesn't matter what kinda helmet I use in hott humid weather.

This. I'm a razor shaved down chrome dome. I wear a headband or cover. I like both halo and headsweats. With that said every situation of course calls for a different action. If it's a short race you might want to just deal with the sweat. If it's hot and short you'll only lost like a second throwing on a headband. If it's a long race definitely put on a headband or full skullcap.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply