Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by 125mph
Re: Bad luck... damaged zipp super9 at Lake Stevens [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My friend had this problem and got it fixed under warranty. Best bet would be to just email zipp and explain what happened.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats nothing, it should be fine. My brand new super 9s hub caps came undone mid ride which caused a derailled chain to pin up against my chainstay and super 9 putting a dent followed by a 2mm deep scratch that goes all the way around the wheel and it still worked just as well as when it was new but the hub remained problematic and I just gave up on it. Zipp said they can repair mine with epoxy and carbon cloth but it wouldn't look new and would cost about $400-500. Zipps warranty is crash replacement which is half of msrp unless the wheel has a mechanical defect in which case it would be replaced free. If you decide to take it in to your local dealer to have them send to Zipp for repairs I urge you to take pictures of every part of the wheel, and document its condition before dropping it off. I dropped my wheel off at my LBS for them to send it to Zipp for repairs and after getting a quote 3 days after dropping it off for $400-500 I just said screw that and picked my wheel up from my LBS just to find a huge chip in the rim bed, loud rattling from my hub, and that it doesn't even spin true or round anymore. I hope this helps I really do NOT want what happened to me to happen to anybody else.... it truly sucks putting 200 miles on a brand new SUper 9 and losing it to a bunch of BS.

EDIT: One thing Zipp put emphasis on was that you seal any opening from the scratch to prevent water from getting into the inside of the wheel and rotting. I used electric tape for it :/
Last edited by: masa757: Aug 17, 14 17:21
Quote Reply
Post deleted by 125mph [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm I didn't know it was cracked from the top down to the dent. It does not show in the picture at all. It just looks like a dent with a small scratch but if it is cracked all the way to the top thats another story. If that is the case, then you might want to send this to Zipp to determine whether or not it is safe to ride. Be aware, they will say if it is deemed useless/broken that they will NOT send it back to you due to liability issues.

EDIT: yes the inside is foam and if water gets in, it rots which leads to structural instabilities.
Last edited by: masa757: Aug 17, 14 17:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also you can take some better pictures that thoroughly expose the damage and go on Zipps website, request a live chat with a representative from Zipp which most likely will be a nice fellow by the name of Denham and show him your pictures. He will show his mech and they will get back to you on what to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey man, sorry to hear/see that.... A similar thing happened to me a year or so back... I got home after a race and unpacked everything and noticed that my zipp disc had a dent in it.... Not quite as bad as yours but similar....
I initially thought that someone must have knocked it in transition as it looked like a pedal indent....
I thought more about it and then realised that it happened during transportation of the wheels.... I had my disc packed with my 808 in a double wheel bag... I presumed that there was padding between the wheels in the bag but there was only material (zipp bag was not designed for discs)... They were lying on their side for the trip home so the axle of the 808 put the dent in my disc... Not sure if this is the cause of yours though, your dent seems to be a little higher up... Just thought I would mention in case and save what happened to me from happening again....
I have raced on it a few times since, with no problems, though after reading this I may get it checked....
Have you got insurance.... ?does anyone know if it could be covered?
Thanks for posting and I hope you get it sorted out.
Jeremy
Quote Reply