Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bad cutters? ***Attn: Mechanics***
Quote | Reply
I recently purchased a pair of Park CN-10 cable cutters - supposedly one of the best available. When I did a "test cut" of an old piece of brake cable housing, it sucked! It totally crushed the cable, and left a big old nasty burr on the side. I check the handles for play and adjusted the allignment of the cutters, and it still cuts horribly! Did I get a bad pair, or am I doing something remarkably stupid here? Previously I've just used shop cutters (CN-4?), and have never had problems like this.

PS - I know you often have to file the burrs off, and that you should grind it anyway - but a brand new pair of cutters crushing my cable?

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Bad cutters? ***Attn: Mechanics*** [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of the older version. It's essentially the same tool, just looks a little less substantial. The cutting mechanism looks identical. Anyway, I've don't have issues cutting housing. I find I get the cleanest cut when I cut "fast". (ie don't squeeze the tool slowly) I also always file down the housing end after the cut is made. I've always ended up with an edge that needs to be touched up (it has fairly charp edge) after a cut, regardeless of the tool used.

Maybe you got a lemon??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Did I get a bad pair, or am I doing something remarkably stupid here? Previously I've just used shop cutters (CN-4?), and have never had problems like this.
Regardless of the cutters, you need to make sure the jaws go between the coils where you're trying to cut. If you don't, it doesn't matter how good the cutters are, it's still going to crush. The more you practice, the better you'll get.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a friend a Park tool kit for Christmas, and it came with the CN-10 cutters, one of the main tools he was lacking in his existing RCT(random collection of tools). He raves about how great they are constantly, so I would guess that either you got a bum pair, or you need to work on your housing-cutting technique.

I have a pair of the Performance cable cutters(which I haven't used, but came with the cheap kit I bought myself) and I can tell you that the Park looks like a much better quality tool overall. I realize that is not strictly meaningful, but in my many years of buying tools, I have found that if a hand tool looks better, it probably is better.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer the Shimano cable cutters over the Park ones. They even work pretty well on Transfil Flying Snake casings which the Parks always butchered. They suck for crimping on the cable ends though and cost quite a bit more on the downside.
Quote Reply
Thanks... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pooks' "do it fast" trick seems to have resolved the crushing issue, and most of the burring. A little touch up with the dremel tool and I've now got beautiful cable housing.

One question though... How do I line up the cutters in between the spirals since it's covered up with the plastic sleeve?

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks... [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
One question though... How do I line up the cutters in between the spirals since it's covered up with the plastic sleeve?
You can just feel it. Apply just enough pressure to cut through the plastic, then sorta move the cutters around until you feel it get real easy to squeeze. It sounds more complicated than it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks... [2WheelsGood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool - I figured it might be a "by feel" operation, but thought I'd ask just in case there was a trick.

Thanks!

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure the cable is squared up, and cut fast.

By the way, I use Craftsman cable cutters- I like them a LOT better than the Park ones. I substitute MAC, Snap-On, or Craftsman for everything EXCEPT for what is bike-specific.

If the cut is clean enough, it should not require filing. Ever since I switched to the Craftsman cable cutter, I have NEVER filed burrs even once.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad cutters? ***Attn: Mechanics*** [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a specific Craftsman model you recommend? I can return the Park cutters very easily (need to go back there anyway), but a quick search of the Sears.com website produced 27 hits. These looked pretty good, but I'd like to hear what you use and recommend. (Go here and cut the following into the search box: "Craftsman Compound Leverage Hard Wire Rope Cutter" - The damn session timeout on the Sears website won't let me link directly)

Thanks!

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Last edited by: Khai: Jun 22, 03 8:27
Quote Reply
Hey Tom D... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're a pro wrench and one fussy mofo when it comes to stuff like this. What cutters do you use?

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a tip if ever you need to cut an inner cable and don't have a good cutter handy. Heat the cable with a match/lighter for about 10 seconds at the point you want to cut it and then you can get a clean cut even with the cutter on a pair of pliers. Try it, it works.

Put the bunny back in the box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't remember what madel it was, I just went to the Sears tool store and got the model that cut any type of cable to 1/4" thick. I don't fuss around with this stuff. I had an old pair of Shimano cutters that bit the dust, and I needed to remove cable from something else that was considerable thickness, so I killed two Taliban with one bullet.

I would go to the garage and get it out, but I am a bit sore from a crash. MAybe later...
Quote Reply
Re: Bad cutters? ***Attn: Mechanics*** [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, next time you happen to pass by the garage I'd appreciate it if you'd take a peek - but don't hurt yourself getting the info. You appear to have sufferred enough of late.

(You may be pleased to know that the bike I'm working on has an old-school cup and bearing headset and bb)

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This may sound dumb, and I'm sure someone will think I'm nuts, but when I built up my last bike, I used a Dremel tool with the cutting disk. Watch out for sparks, but a perfectly clean cut.

- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
P. J. O'Rourke
Quote Reply
Re: Bad cutters? ***Attn: Mechanics*** [Chris in Balto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This may sound dumb, and I'm sure someone will think I'm nuts, but when I built up my last bike, I used a Dremel tool with the cutting disk. Watch out for sparks, but a perfectly clean cut.
That does work well, but it's a bit slow. And you need to be careful not to cut too fast or the plastic melts making it hard to fit in a cable end cap.
Quote Reply
I wondered about that... [Chris in Balto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't actually try it, but it seemed like it would work. Glad to hear I can always resort to that in a pinch!

Just out of curiosity, I pulled my "regular" (Craftsman) wire cutters out of the toolbox and gave them a try. WAY better than the Park cutters, and these aren't the super-fancy rated for industrial strength cable ones either - just your regular run of the mill wire cutters. I think I paid $22 for the set that came w/ needle nose and regular snub nosed pliers too. As opposed to the $40 I paid for the special Park cable cutters that SUCK!!!

Park Tool has a racket going on! My Park cutters are definitely going back.

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply