Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Background Survey: What were you before you became a triathlete?
Quote | Reply
Were you a:

Swimmer?
Cyclist?
Runner?
Swimmer, who subsequently got into cycling, and then picked up running as a necessary evil to do a triathlon? (like me!)

Of course, I expect more colorful backgrounds than that, and some people out there who lurk around the slowtwitch forums who aren't even triathletes (yet).

Post deleted by GARodgers [ In reply to ]
Re: Background Survey: What were you before you became a triathlete? [chewgl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rode a bike when I was a kid. Did a little running when I was a kid too. Hey, swimming too. More skiing in the lake and river than swimming though.
Quote Reply
Re: Background Survey: What were you before you became a triathlete? [chewgl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about hockey and soccer center defense (we dont run, just stand our ground).

Had to learn (thank god for wetsuits) how to swim, how to bike and run more than sprints.

Love every painful minute, hour and mile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runner.

Started running in highschool in 1975. Took it to a moderatly high level over the next 6 years and on into University. Also competed at the provicial level in Nordic Skiing. Did my first triathlon in 1981. Finished 3rd - mostly on the strength of my run. Back then, just like now, it was more about the run!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Darn... I seem to be getting a biased sample of people with interesting stories to tell...

Re: Background Survey: What were you before you became a triathlete? [jacknine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Partying like a rock star! Having way to much fun! Did tri's 20 years ago, Ski raced D1 in college.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runner is HS (118 lbs upon graduation)
then I became a pro lazy ass slob and got up to 189 lbs.
I then became a normalized human/triathlete (I don't actually think they go hand in hand) and now weigh in at 155 lbs @ 5'11"

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." -Steve Prefontaine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swam from 6 years old thru college (graduated 2000).
Started riding 2002 to 2004.
First tri was Gulf Coast in 2005
Picked up running as a necessary evil to compete in triathlons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Baseball player. End of my junior year in high schoool my baseball coach thought it would be a good idea to start my senior year running cross-country (off-season conditioning) At first I hated the idea, but half-way through I fell in love with it. Been running since 1990!

RunFAR Racing Services
http://www.Run-far.com
Team Cambridge
Hilltop Bicycle Repair
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Played hockey from age 4-20. Played baseball and soccer as a kid. Played golf for my college. Been running since high school, though never on a team.

----------------------------------------------------------
Existence precedes Essence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Competitive swimmer since age 8....
Started running cross-country in HS....

Had a family obsessed with cycling and I was forced to have a road bike (to this day I've never been that cool kid with the Mtn. bike!)... so at about age 12, I vowed never to ride bikes again... alas, I had a swim coach and a triathlete aunt who kept pressuring to me to do a tri...

About 5 years after they let up... I got into them on my own. And you know what? I like the bike best now... go figure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Were you a:

Swimmer?
Cyclist?
Runner?
Swimmer, who subsequently got into cycling, and then picked up running as a necessary evil to do a triathlon? (like me!)

None of the above....drank a lot, dabbled in controlled substances, smoked a pack a day for ~25yrs, sang in a punk band, blah, blah, blah. Hit 40, dropped the smokes and drugs, cut back on the booze, then bought a bike and some running shoes and joined a club with a pool to learn to swim....had always been kind of amazed by "that crazy iron man thing in Hawaii" even though I'd never done any sports in my life. 16yrs later and I'm still at it.

Quote Reply
Re: Background Survey: What were you before you became a triathlete? [runningmanrick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1984-1991 Runner
1991-1994 Mtn. Biker
1994-2001 Lazy Fatass
2001-2004 Backpacker & Karting
2004-2006 Runner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Q. What was I?

A. Fat and slow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ballerina ages 3-16
Waterskier in HS and college. I definitely miss the skiing - it's just hard to do with a real job!

Quote | Reply
Pot smoking, beer drinking deadhead. Backpacker, hiker, surfer, cyclist (no spandex though, mostly MTB), closet weight watchers member (not that there's anything wrong with that), fat and slow too.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Last edited by: karma: Mar 29, 07 14:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
None of the above. Drank a lot of beer in the 1990's. Was a very slow dabbler in the random 5K, turkey trot, etc. Started doing spin classes in 2000, bought my first road bike (since I was a kid) in spring of 2003. Taught myself how to swim (poorly) that same year. Did my first tri in summer of 2003.
Quote Reply
a swimmer [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
born and raised as a distance freestylist

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rowing, soccer, rugby from the age of 5. Then 4 years of "not much" in college.

Got the exercise itch again and started running first, then biking, then figured I was two thirds of the way there and dating an ex-varsity swimmer so had no excuse not to go all the way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a 3 plus pack a day prime example of sedentary lifestyle.

hurts to think about it at times.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a swimmer
Not a cyclist
Not a runner

Took up all three for the first time 7 years ago at the age of 45 when a friend said "Grant, we should go triathlon training". And we did.

Grant

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Basketball was my passion in my former life. Started at zero with this swim/bike/run stuff 5 years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Long-time geek. A philosophically inactive musician while a young man, then a serious surgeon as a first career, eg couch potato; then runner (my temperate version of a mid-life crisis).
Then an awed spectator of all of my kids, who swam like friggin' fish. So first-time triathlete fifteen years ago.
Then back to the comfort of running slowly.
Now, a late-to-the-party triathlete trying to learn to swim and bike. And trying to re-learn how to run, so as to keep up with my kids.
Does that mean that my only non-limiter is transitions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bodyboarder from 1979 until present. Competed professionally from 1987-1998. No background in running or cycling at all. Swam as a kid a little on local swim team, but never stuck with it.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next