Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BWR San Diego 2021
Quote | Reply
Anyone have the insider details of where they plan to stage the start/finish?
The website says it's new.
I'm just wondering where to book a hotel.

Yeah, I'm hoping covid restrictions lift in time to do this, but I'm feeling confident about July.
Quote Reply
Re: BWR San Diego 2021 [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no insider info, but it sounds like parts of weekend will be at Canyon (Carlsbad), and the race will start in San Marcos (making an assumption the race will start at/near the expo location):

"Prior to the event, there will be a special Canyon Pure Cycling VIP event at Canyon on Friday, July 16th at 3:30 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. At the VIP event, the course will be revealed in detail, there will special race-related presentations riders won’t want to miss, the pros will be interviewed, and cyclists of all stripes will be able to rub shoulders with all the celebrities on hand for the epic weekend.
On Saturday and Sunday, the Canyon Pure Cycling Expo will take place at North City, San Marcos which is a big draw on its own, promising to be the largest cycling party of the year in San Diego. Festivities kick-off Saturday at 10:00 a.m., July 17th, and are open to the public."
https://belgianwaffleride.bike/pages/california

Seems like an ambitious plan for July, but I hope they are able to do it. Sounds like a good time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

Yeah, I'm hoping covid restrictions lift in time to do this, but I'm feeling confident about July.

Inland San Diego County in July...hmmm...the one year (2017, the last year I did it) was held in late May, and it BAKED. Plan on managing heat stroke possibilities.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The expo is going to be down the street from Lost Abbey at North City/Block C, San Marcos. That's where MMX started and finished the Sagan Gran Fondo two years ago. Assuming that's the start (and I think it's a decent assumption), there's a Hampton Inn walking distance away.

It's going to be hot. There's a strong possibility it's going to be over 100F in black canyon. Also, I think you are overestimating California's ability to host an event. I just don't see this happening this year. The earliest I see an event happening in California is October at the very earliest.
Quote Reply
Re: BWR San Diego 2021 [ntl_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's this bit:
"2) a spectacular new venue large enough to accommodate thousands of competitors, 70 vendors, and mile-long finishing circuit within its perimeter,"

I don't know much about area but when I look at a map the only facility I see that matches this description is a place called Eden Park?

Not too worried about the heat. I do well in temps up to about 100F. Above that I might melt.

I look at California's vaccination rates and have some hope...

Last edited by: NordicSkier: Feb 25, 21 10:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Sagan Fondo: Gran Roadie-Oh website:

"THE VENUE[/url]
At the start/finish village in the center of North City/San Marcos on both Saturday and Sunday, participants will be able to enjoy pre- and post-race festivities from 70 vendors and local beers with Sagan, and those opting into the VIP event will be treated to a memorable evening of fun with Peter, other cycling legends and the event organizers known for their exceptional experiential escapades. Sagan will be on hand all three days to pose for selfies, sign autographs, mingle and present awards to the fastest riders in the ‘Go-Around.’ (Winners receive a signed event Green Jersey!) Plus, everyone gets a chance to ride with Sagan on Sunday."

Sounds like the same place. North City, San Marcos. It's a work/live urban center so they can close off all the roads between Twin Oaks & Redel and Barham up to Carmel for the weekend. I'm guessing there was about 600-900 people at that Sagan event and I'd say only 1/3rd of the available area to stack riders up was used.
Last edited by: bearlyfinish: Feb 25, 21 10:35
Quote Reply
Re: BWR San Diego 2021 [bearlyfinish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But a mile long finishing circuit?

Anyways I pre-emptively booked at the Hampton. Free cancellation, so no worries.
Quote Reply
Re: BWR San Diego 2021 [bearlyfinish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4th time is the charm for IM Oceanside - Oct 30 2021

Northern California is already opening up from purple to red tier few in orange. Newsom doesnt want to be recalled.

Fingers crossed for Oceanside
Quote Reply
Re: BWR San Diego 2021 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Inland San Diego County in July...hmmm...the one year (2017, the last year I did it) was held in late May, and it BAKED. Plan on managing heat stroke possibilities.

My year was in April and I baked.

A father and son poured water on me going up a climb, 96 miles in with my computer saying 99 degrees.
I almost cried. I think it saved my event with renewed vigor.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: BWR San Diego 2021 [smallhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
smallhips wrote:
4th time is the charm for IM Oceanside - Oct 30 2021

Northern California is already opening up from purple to red tier few in orange. Newsom doesnt want to be recalled.

Fingers crossed for Oceanside

Cali has 7 million vaccinated. That's pretty good. As we've seen from Israel the hospitalization numbers start dropping pretty fast.
Quote Reply
Re: BWR San Diego 2021 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

This is what I was thinking. I think I'll wait until 2022, I'm assuming they have typically had this in April/early May for a reason.
Quote Reply
Re: BWR San Diego 2021 [smallhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
smallhips wrote:

That's because those counties have adjusted case rate less than 7.0% and positivity rate less than 8% (the boundary between red and purple). I could easily see San Diego reaching orange by the race date...question is if the permitting can all be done in time.
Quote Reply