Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BTA setup - gels behind bottle
Quote | Reply
Anyone run something like that? How do you set it up? Looking for ideas.

I'd rather have them behind the bottle than on the top tube, but I'll also need room for a computer mount. Probably an xlab torpedo compact, the garmin mount is on top of the bottle.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Mar 27, 18 7:29
Quote Reply
Re: BTA setup - gels behind bottle [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know this isn't exactly the response you are looking for but I really like the new GU gel flasks... I cannot fathom taping individual gels to my bike. The GU flask has made carrying a lot of gel really easy.
Quote Reply
Re: BTA setup - gels behind bottle [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't decided which way I'm gonna go for gels (packets or flask). Will try both and see what I prefer.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mirinda Carfrae had a custom gel holder on her Felt IA.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Mar 27, 18 8:31
Quote Reply
Re: BTA setup - gels behind bottle [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That looks good. Seems like it's attached with a bent metal bracket that runs back under the BTA bottle?

I wonder if she has enough logos on her bike?

BryanD wrote:

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just buy a $15,000 P5x....it addresses The horror of the taped gels that Cervelo found athletes use when they took pictures of”typical” bikes in transition.

In all seriousness, can I ask why?? I sometimes bring an extra gel or two “just in case” but with so many great liquid only options (eg Infinit) why would you want to fumble around with opening gels, drinking water to get them down, the sticky mess that your hands become etc?
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Mar 27, 18 8:57
Quote Reply
Re: BTA setup - gels behind bottle [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Just buy a $15,000 P5x....it addresses The horror of the taped gels that Cervelo found athletes use when they took pictures of”typical” bikes in transition.

If I ever get a P5x, it's gonna be the Lamborghini edition.

Why pay less?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Mar 27, 18 8:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why gels? It's what's worked for me in the past, and I like to drink water.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In that case I would invite you try to something like Infinit. But, personally if I were going to do what you do I would use a flask, maybe even a soft flask that you could place in jersey pocket with a small amount of water in it to get gel out and then water to wash it down. Obviously, a Soft flask would fold up and take up less real estate when empty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wanted to carry a load of gels for my IM bike leg and was originally thinking about a gel flask. But I ran out of time to fab something slick so I changed tack and but a standard bottle cage behind my Profile Design FC25 BTA. I took an old Camelbak Podium water bottle and cut a flap in the side large enough to stick my fingers in and pull out a gel sachet. If I remember correctly I was able to stuff up 15xHigh5 gels. Similar long & narrow gels would work best with this solution. I put the bottle in the cage with the flap on the top and had a large capacity storage container immediately behind the BTA.
Quote Reply
Re: BTA setup - gels behind bottle [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a neat solution, I'll see if that will work on my ride.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: BTA setup - gels behind bottle [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like an internal bladder system in the IA as well. Interesting!

BryanD wrote:

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
In that case I would invite you try to something like Infinit. But, personally if I were going to do what you do I would use a flask, maybe even a soft flask that you could place in jersey pocket with a small amount of water in it to get gel out and then water to wash it down. Obviously, a Soft flask would fold up and take up less real estate when empty.

I tape gels to top tube. I attach the number I need plus 1. I grab it and the top is removed by the tape. Straight in the mouth and gone through an aid station. Why not use a flask? Cause if I drop it that's my nutrition gone. Same with infinit. Plus I love the taste of the gels I use.

I've never heard someone who tapes their gels say "I dropped all my nutrition and ruined my race"
Last edited by: Brett runs: Mar 28, 18 0:14
Quote Reply
Re: BTA setup - gels behind bottle [Brett runs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In 13 years of biking I have never dropped a bottle. Could it happen? Sure. Plan B-gels/on course nutrition. Everyone should have a Plan B but I don’t think Plan A should be dictated by the possibility of the worst case scenario.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only downside I find with soft flasks is that it's tricky to ascertain what rate your sticking calories down your throat. With Gels, chews, etc and a timer, you've got a good idea if you're on target with food consumption.
Anyone got a soft flask solution to this issue, or is the solution just not to over think it?
Quote Reply
Re: BTA setup - gels behind bottle [ianm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stop over thinking it

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think solely focusing on calorie/hr or any rate makes it way too complicated. I focus on the total amount of calories per leg and then try to space it out. It's ok to be a little short or a little over your cal/hr. What matters is that you took in enough over the entire duration.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianm wrote:
The only downside I find with soft flasks is that it's tricky to ascertain what rate your sticking calories down your throat. With Gels, chews, etc and a timer, you've got a good idea if you're on target with food consumption.
Anyone got a soft flask solution to this issue, or is the solution just not to over think it?
When I did Marmotte des Alpes last year, I planned to simply put a few gels sachets in a bento box velcroed to the top tube of the road bike, and stuff the rest of the sachets into my cycling jersey pockets. The night before the event I was setting out my clothes, nutrition, etc. The weather forecast meant needed the ability to stow arm warmers and a light jacket which put jersey pocket space at a premium. I did a test run and put on the jersey and put everything in the pockets....they were on the verge of bursting and it was very difficult to remove a gel or put back an empty sachet. I remembered I'd been given a small 250ml bottled water with my meal on my flight to Lyon. I didn't drink it and it was still in my bag so I grabbed the bottle and put that in my pocket instead of 7 of the gels. Much easier to fit. I tried the "sports cap" from a standard bottled water I had on hand and it fit on the small bottle no problem. So I ditched the water in the small bottle, and poured in the contents of 6 or 7 gels. I marked a few graduations on the bottle with a permanent marker so I'd be able to track roughly how fast I was drinking from it.
On the ride, it was much quicker and easier to use this bottle than a gel pouch and if anything it was easier to keep track of how much I was using. I may look for a similar solution for triathlon, but the bottle/flask will need to go on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But I don't need a plan b when plan a just works? I don't really care if people think it looks shit....its just such an easy process. Tear one gel off as needed. Top is removed. Can only drop one if it was to happen.

I also have no where for a flask but on my body. I carry one bottle water bta and a bottle of tailwind on the downtube.

I could prob ditch the gels and race on only tailwind but again I don't want to rely on one thing. Not saying anyone else is wrong in what they do but there is no way I am risking the whole race in one bottle.
Quote Reply
Re: BTA setup - gels behind bottle [Brett runs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It works until it doesn’t; I have never dropped a bottle which is why I suggested it as a possibility to consider as it works perfectly for me. You dismissed because you have heard of someone who dropped a bottle. Your gels work great for you but I don’t like them as a sole option for reasons beyond the aesthetics (although aesethically it would drive me just too). If you drop the water, your gel is worthless.

Again, I would suggest everyone should have a Plan B; if you don’t think you need one, good for you. But liquid calories are a very workable option that shouldn’t be summarily dismissed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From a favorite Dilbert cartoon, on my desk:

Dilbert - If our plan fails, do we have a plan for that?

PHB - Only losers plan for failure.

Dilbert - I think we're on the same page, but for some reason you're angry about it.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do use liquid calories. I use tailwind every 15min and a gel on the hour in ironman . Of course I can drop water but I get a replacement at the next aid station. I dismissed the idea of having my whole day in one bottle cause it's fraught with danger. That s my risk assessment and everyone else can make their own. Your strategy is fine I'm not saying it isn't, it just doesn't work for me.
Quote Reply