Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BTA hydration setup help
Quote | Reply
I bought a Shiv in October and did all my riding on the trainer through the winter where I just had water bottles next to me on a table. As the weather in Northeast warmed up, and I was able to start riding outside, I just used the in-frame fuelselage. For longer rides, I would put an extra bottle in one of my jersey pockets since the fuel cell took up the bottle bosses on the frame. I raced with my new bike for the first time this past weekend while just using the in-frame hydration, which worked really well, but I would like to move up to longer distances and doing longer training rides without holding an extra bottle on my back (probably not the most aero).

I started looking at BTA options and wanted something a little more solid than the DIY zip tie bottle cage route. I ended up purchasing a XLAB Torpedo Kompact. Only issue is the clamps that connect the aerobar extensions to the base bar are slightly wider than the extensions themselves and the clamps on the BTA mount won't fit as far back toward the stem as I would like because they only fit around the extensions. Any suggestions on how to secure the mount further back, without having to buy a new base bar/aerobars, or did I just buy the wrong setup? Any other Shiv owners run into the same problem or have other BTA solutions?

Here's a picture of the mount pushed as far back is it can go due to the change in size of the extension/clamp. Thanks in advance for any help.

Quote Reply
Re: BTA hydration setup help [ballisticpb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
take off the clamps and zip tie it...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same exact situation with my shiv, and I returned the xlab kompact last week for this same reason...it fit if I pointed the bottle towards me, but then bottle fell out at first bump.

Now I'm trying the Speedfil, using zip ties to secure. Still pointed towards me, but looks to have a better grip on bottle... will be testing this weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ballisticpb wrote:

Here's a picture of the mount pushed as far back is it can go due to the change in size of the extension/clamp. Thanks in advance for any help.

Zip Tie's or switch to the pass thru extension clamps and you will gain more extension tube to clamp to (and also angle if you want)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't speak to the issue you're having, but a tip I can offer is mounting the Xlab to the underside of your extensions. Instead of having the base above the extensions, I flipped it around so the base sits just below the extensions I did this and it was a fantastic move! It lowered the whole system to fit more nicely in between my arms and I imagine is more aero.
Quote Reply
Re: BTA hydration setup help [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
take off the clamps and zip tie it...
Hah, I knew I could move the clamps in/out but to be honest it didn't even cross my mind to just take them off. Thanks.
TriDW wrote:
Now I'm trying the Speedfil, using zip ties to secure. Still pointed towards me, but looks to have a better grip on bottle... will be testing this weekend.
Let me know how it works out for you.
GatorRacer wrote:
Zip Tie's or switch to the pass thru extension clamps and you will gain more extension tube to clamp to (and also angle if you want)
Thanks, do you have a link to the pass thru extension clamps or know where I can buy them?
teichs42 wrote:
I can't speak to the issue you're having, but a tip I can offer is mounting the Xlab to the underside of your extensions. Instead of having the base above the extensions, I flipped it around so the base sits just below the extensions I did this and it was a fantastic move! It lowered the whole system to fit more nicely in between my arms and I imagine is more aero.
Thanks for the tip!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy a Glen Alden Design BTA mount especially designed for the Shiv. I had one on a shiv when IA owned one and now only use his BTA mounts for my computer as well.

https://www.alden-carbon.com/bta-mount-systems
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedfill works MUCH better than XLAB. The Xlab rattled when I went over bumps and didn't hold my bottles...this one's no issue. I didn't think I'd like pulling towards me but turns out it's not bad at all.

Zipties might look hackey up close, but functions much better for my purposes. Plus the Speedfill is $20 cheaper and keeps the Garmin mount.
Quote Reply