Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BSX Insight folded now Humon arises
Quote | Reply
BSX Insight folded Feb. 9th, 2018 and one can read it at: http://blog.bsxtechnologies.com/

Humon now has risen from the ashes using what appears to be the same tech. One can read it here: https://humon.io/

Quote Reply
Re: BSX Insight folded now Humon arises [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
BSX Insight folded Feb. 9th, 2018 and one can read it at:
http://blog.bsxtechnologies.com/

Humon now has risen from the ashes using what appears to be the same tech. One can read it here: https://humon.io/

Been following Humon for while now. Just using NIRS like BSX and Moxy. Still not convinced about the Hex's usefulness based on their Facebook and user forum and not enough Moxy comparisons yet to know how "good" it is.

Supposedly has been validated: "Validation of a novel wearable, wireless technology to estimate oxygen levels and lactate threshold power in the exercising muscle"

The paper makes me believe that it may work for some, but for many it'll fall short at predicting anything at all.

I want moscule oxygen just to have more data, but I haven't had the gall to pull the trigger on a Moxy yet, so I was hoping Humon would be almost as good. We'll see.

Quote Reply
Re: BSX Insight folded now Humon arises [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you mean I'm never going to get my kickstarted wearable.... damn BSX
Quote Reply
Re: BSX Insight folded now Humon arises [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any insight if the Humon could be a good training tool. I don't see a lot of adoption on this forum, which I find strange.
Quote Reply
Re: BSX Insight folded now Humon arises [sun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sun wrote:
Does anyone have any insight if the Humon could be a good training tool. I don't see a lot of adoption on this forum, which I find strange.

I bought a Humon Hex recently (with one of their ongoing sale codes) after a riding buddy highlighted some of the benefits of training and racing with blood oxygenation. I still have a long way to go to figure out how to make sense of my Sm02. He has the Moxy system, but that's just too much $$$ for me to justify. We are going to do a 5-1-5 test in the next few weeks and we are going to compare the data from the Moxy and Hex to see if they provide similar assessment.

I suppose I see this as a good training tool in the sense that it is a physiological indicator of fatigue and to mark when you should go longer / when to start your recovery. In racing, it will likely be useful in TT's to help keep you right at the limit of what you can sustain. ...I've used it in a Crit race, but can't really say if it's any good in that context since the pacing and efforts are all dependent on momentary factors.
Quote Reply
Re: BSX Insight folded now Humon arises [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
sun wrote:

I bought a Humon Hex recently (with one of their ongoing sale codes) after a riding buddy highlighted some of the benefits of training and racing with blood oxygenation. I still have a long way to go to figure out how to make sense of my Sm02. He has the Moxy system, but that's just too much $$$ for me to justify. We are going to do a 5-1-5 test in the next few weeks and we are going to compare the data from the Moxy and Hex to see if they provide similar assessment.

I suppose I see this as a good training tool in the sense that it is a physiological indicator of fatigue and to mark when you should go longer / when to start your recovery. In racing, it will likely be useful in TT's to help keep you right at the limit of what you can sustain. ...I've used it in a Crit race, but can't really say if it's any good in that context since the pacing and efforts are all dependent on momentary factors.

This is great info. I'm also considering a Moxy. The Humon seems to have a better form factor and easier attachment. It seems the value is how to determine how you are feeling on a particular day and to maximize the workout for that day. Please do post your results after doing the test with your buddy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the 5-1-5 test with the Humon and Moxy sensors last week. Both sensors were placed on one quadricep (VL). ...I'm still learning a fair bit about what this all means, so I'll quote some of my friends words below. The take home seems to be:

"Results are impressively similar" (between Moxy and Humon)
"Moxy data is more complete and has higher resolution (not always the positive), Humon in my opinion is using some kind of running average algorithm and is much easier to read (also not always positive)"

He's now working with me to translate these results into some kind of training focus.

The graphs below show the data collected from each device. I 'think' that the green graphs are most relevant here. On the right hand side, you can really see the recovery of blood oxygenation during the 1 minute rest cycles, and conversely, you can see O2 levels dropping at the harder power intervals.

Moxy data and 5-1-5 assessment.

Analysis done with Humon data instead....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for updating the post! What software was used to do the assessment? I ended up buying a Moxy and I'm still looking for trends in the numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing this

Could you detail what are the brown/green curves ?

The BSX was post analysis only
Here, do you have the results real time ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll have to get back to you with the precise details. I believe that the analysis was done through the Moxy software, but he was also using golden chetah.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sun wrote:
Thanks for updating the post! What software was used to do the assessment?

Excel and Moxy.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Oct 11, 18 5:28
Quote Reply
Re: BSX Insight folded now Humon arises [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
The BSX was post analysis only

It was originally, but before they folded they started providing the actual data stream as well (via their app, IIRC).
Quote Reply
Re: BSX Insight folded now Humon arises [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am new to this kind of assessment, so do forgive my lack of expertise here...

We were able to see the data in real time during the test using PerfPro studio. My friend had his display set so that we could see the green curve (from the Moxy sensor) during the test.

The Moxy and Humon output similar metrics, but they might not be exactly the same units of measurement (e.g. similar to 'metres' and 'feet').

In general, the green curve represents blood oxygenation (SmO2).

The orange curve represents blood volume (tHb).

That's my current understanding of it (....and that might change over time)
Quote Reply
Re: BSX Insight folded now Humon arises [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Hello Andrew,

funny to see you here.

I was doing track cycling (scratch, point race, individual and team pursuit, elimination, ...), and after reading your book and Fred Grappe book, I bought a power meter, using it for training and collecting data for a year, feeding Golden Cheetah power curve.

After a full year of collecting data, I had a look to your table (Training and Racing with Power Meter - 2nd edition - page 54), comparing my best perf on 5s, 1mn, 5mn, FTP columns.

Clearly I'm not good. Plus I'm 52.

My power profile was flat, except a big hole on 1mn perf.

I trained specifically on lactate, 1mn effort, with the help of some friend form the french national team (used to be 3rd guy in the team sprint). Improved a bit, but still a hole in the profile.

I decided that track was not for me, too much lactate oriented :-) and decided to go long. So I began triathlon, mostly 70.3. And it is great fun, physically and technically.

I'm very interested in your view on Humon / Moxy.

I was lucky enough to participate to french INSEP research program (as a cyclist) and get a view on my metabolism through power measurement, respiration analysis and blood analysis, and pretty sure this kind of measurement can really bring something.
In a course on connected object design, I presented 2 years ago these tools (BSX Insight at the time) as possibly the next step after Power Meter. Can be used outside bike, running, and other sports.

Was surprised BSX insight disapeared.
Quote Reply