Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BQ standard for 2020
Quote | Reply
With registration starting for Boston has anyone heard any rumors about the qualify standard? An ideas what the standard is going to look like for this year?

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: BQ standard for 2020 [mmtri10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If referring to the cut off... No one knows. I have seen people put a huge amount of effort into tracking feeder races and total BQs, coming up with very sound estimates, only to be completely off in the end.

BAA's qualifying standard was tightened by 5 minutes, because last year's cut off was close to 5 minutes of the previous standard.

The thing is, no one knows what the demand will be. That is, how many people with BQs around the world that decide to register is the unknown variable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a long thread over at letsrun.

As far as I can tell, it's almost entirely composed of wild ass guesses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It made a big jump last year, 5 minutes...usually it's a minute or two, so my best guess is if it does change, it'll be a smaller than usual increment.

That said, it's anyone's guess. I made my BQ time last year by 2 minutes, but was left out when they adjusted the time by 5 minutes. This year, I didn't make a serious effort, concentrating on biking and running. Next year, I'll give it another shot...
Quote Reply
Re: BQ standard for 2020 [MattRnr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Registration just re-opened for those that met the 2020 qualification times. I just register but I only made the cut by 8 seconds. Does that mean I’m in for 2020 or do they take the faster runners first until they hit the max number of entrants?
Quote Reply
Re: BQ standard for 2020 [kquantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Umph .....!!!!
That’s so tight.
I’m in same boat.
Highly unlikely we get in (like slim to none).
But ........... what do I know!
Interesting to hear what others think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
  • In recent years, not all qualifiers who submit an entry have been accepted due to field size restrictions.
  • If the total amount of submissions surpasses the allotted field size for qualified athletes, then those who are the fastest among the pool of applicants in their age and gender group will be accepted.

Quote Reply
Re: BQ standard for 2020 [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea it doesn't look good. I qualified in Boston running in one of the charity waves. I literally started at the back of the race and it was sooo difficult to navigate around 31,000 other runners. It really slowed me down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kquantum wrote:
Registration just re-opened for those that met the 2020 qualification times. I just register but I only made the cut by 8 seconds. Does that mean I’m in for 2020 or do they take the faster runners first until they hit the max number of entrants?

You probably won't know if you're in until sometime next week. Last year, they didn't announce the cutoff until Thursday of the following week (8 days after closing for the less than 5 minutes group).

They will accept the fastest runners first and determine the appropriate cutoff based on field size and how many people applied.
Quote Reply
Re: BQ standard for 2020 [MattRnr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, thanks. Appreciate the insight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok so aiming for 2021 Boston with a sub 3:20 as I age up into 45+. If 2019 actual was 4:52 lower then the standard, curious what the 2020 actual was for M 45+.

Few minutes, I am ok, 5 minutes again...yikes
Quote Reply
Re: BQ standard for 2020 [Zippy303] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got feedback that I got the spot for 2020 the next day. That was fast. I was 7 min under the qualifying time for my age so registered a day earlier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got in with a 3:13:39, so (counts on fingers) 6:21 under the 3:20 cutoff time.
Quote Reply
Re: BQ standard for 2020 [Triphibian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be clear, the cut-off was 1m 39s faster, even with the field expanding to 31,500

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: BQ standard for 2020 [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So on the 1:39 below is that averaged across all age groups? Weighted to size of age groups?

I assume no way to figure out my age group, 45-50...thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huh?

1 minute 38 seconds faster than the posted qualifying times for your age group. No more difficult than that.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok thanks, I was not sure how they figured it out. I assume it only gets steeper next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They figure it out by allowing people to apply in waves. First are more than 20 minutes faster than their AG time, then 10 minutes, then 5 minutes, if they don't hit the cap before then they let anyone under the qualifying time apply but in most years it stops there and then they figure out a line to draw that cuts that last group down enough to fill out the cap, the line is the same across all AGs to make it easier for us to understand.

And yes, considering that last year the basic qualifying times were 5 minutes slower for all AGs and this ear there is still a cut off, the trend is certainly looking tougher.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
To be clear, the cut-off was 1m 39s faster, even with the field expanding to 31,500
Right. I didn't check the website and thought people were still in the dark about where the cut off would get drawn. I was posting my time as a guide of "here's what's getting in at this point" without realizing they'd posted the cut off time. Derp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zippy303 wrote:
Ok so aiming for 2021 Boston with a sub 3:20 as I age up into 45+. If 2019 actual was 4:52 lower then the standard, curious what the 2020 actual was for M 45+.

Few minutes, I am ok, 5 minutes again...yikes
I'm aiming to go back in 2021 (did it in 2017), but looks like we'll be back to needing to go 3+ minutes under BQ time to be safe. It's amazing how it just gets 1-2 mins harder every year.
Quote Reply
Re: BQ standard for 2020 [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2021 is my target also, have a few marathons scheduled for next year. If anything the training will put me in good shape for another year and I’ll pick up some bonus qualifying time with a new age group in a few years. But it looks like they’ll keep adjusting the qualifying times.
Quote Reply