Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BQ age classification
Quote | Reply
So the BQ discussion here got me thinking about my own potential to qualify (and if I would require rocket shoes and/or a mineshaft course). So, the BAA website says that qualifying for 2021 starts 9/2019 (i.e. a qualifying time for 2021 could be run now). Let's suppose that I run a potentially qualifying time at a certified course next weekend. I'm 58 right now. BUT, I'll be 60 on race day 2021 (birthday in December). So, is the time I run this weekend (as a 58) considered for BQ in the 60-64 AG for 2021? That'show I read it, but wanted some confirmation. For males, 55-59 BQ is 15 min faster than 60-64 (before the 'correction' of course). Forget about pharma doping, 'course doping' and 'equipment doping' - every five years anyone born between mid-Sept and mid-Apr also has the opportunity for 'AG doping' (or so it seems).
Quote Reply
Re: BQ age classification [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not 100% sure for BQ, but for Ironman you still qualify in your current age group (so you would qualify as a 58 YO). You then would race in the 60-64 category (since that is your age at the marathon).

This seems to make the most sense for aging up situations.
Quote Reply
Re: BQ age classification [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BQ is age on the date you will be running Boston - so in your case 60.

From the website
"The qualifying times below are based upon each athlete's age on the date of the 2021 Boston Marathon (April 19, 2021)"
Quote Reply
Re: BQ age classification [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, that's how I read it. Hoping for someone with a winter birthday to confirm in practice. Different that USAT for sure, it seems.
Quote Reply