Fun
Learn new skills
Triathletes could stand to learn bike handling

Logistics:

Local
Waaaaaay cheaper than triathlon... $5 for practice $10 for race

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: BMX is the *PERFECT* quarantine/social distancing sport [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not super familiar with adult bmx.

Are there many bmx races in north america for 30 yr old, 40 yr old, 50 yr old, 60 yr old, etc. participants ?

Do adults still ride bikes with 20" wheels? That can't be easy ... but great practice l guess for getting in a tight aero tuck ! 😎

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: BMX is the *PERFECT* quarantine/social distancing sport [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, there are adult races.
You can race 20" or 24".
Quote Reply
Re: BMX is the *PERFECT* quarantine/social distancing sport [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, totally. There's a decent scene west of you in Rockford. I haven't tried it, but a couple friends are regulars and the youngest one is in his 40's.
Quote Reply
Re: BMX is the *PERFECT* quarantine/social distancing sport [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may be in forties, but I still love my first sport, BMX. I enjoy jump room at Ray’s Indoor MTB park now more, but still go out to the track to at least get a practice night in now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMX was my first sport too. Adult BMX cruising is a thing now and growing in popularity. After IMFL I purchased an SE bike and have a blast every time i get on it. Although I haven’t tried racing yet, I sure enjoy rolling around the neighborhood shredding wheelies, bunny-hopping and riding like I did when i was a kid. Feeling of total freedom. I have a smile on my face the entire time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
except that cycling is forbidden where you have a lockdown. any dangerous sport which may make hospital personnel busy at this stage more than they need
Quote Reply
Re: BMX is the *PERFECT* quarantine/social distancing sport [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just went to Rays for the first time a couple of weeks ago. That place is really cool and a great place to work on MTB skills. Anyone near Cleveland should check it out.
Quote Reply
Re: BMX is the *PERFECT* quarantine/social distancing sport [Ann Arbor Jeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If anyone wants a guide for the first time, message me and I’ll see if I can get there
Quote Reply
Re: BMX is the *PERFECT* quarantine/social distancing sport [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
except that cycling is forbidden where you have a lockdown. any dangerous sport which may make hospital personnel busy at this stage more than they need

Meanwhile folks can still jam their face with ho ho's and red meat and have heart attacks and diabetic emergencies. I thought a measurable % of EMS calls were for those two?

Or, the typical #1......people still being allowed to drive to and from work and having car accidents.

I have to admit, being pretty 'pro' safeguard for this topic..........I find the whole "solo sport" banning a bit silly. I can get not eating in at restaurants or bars. I can get staying away from people. But trying to say "don't injure yourself" for something that is already in the statistical super minority of daily EMS calls.............c'mon.
Quote Reply
Re: BMX is the *PERFECT* quarantine/social distancing sport [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Plissken74 wrote:

Meanwhile folks can still jam their face with ho ho's and red meat and have heart attacks and diabetic emergencies. I thought a measurable % of EMS calls were for those two?

Or, the typical #1......people still being allowed to drive to and from work and having car accidents.

I have to admit, being pretty 'pro' safeguard for this topic..........I find the whole "solo sport" banning a bit silly. I can get not eating in at restaurants or bars. I can get staying away from people. But trying to say "don't injure yourself" for something that is already in the statistical super minority of daily EMS calls.............c'mon.

you got it wrong

Running? fine, no issue
Cycling? not really, it is dangerous, it is an un-needed risk

there are many other individual and risk-free sports!
Quote Reply
Re: BMX is the *PERFECT* quarantine/social distancing sport [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
you got it wrong
Running? fine, no issue

I definitely see your point; however, if you are going to make statements with the appearance of facts, then it is important to state as such. For example, is the incidence of accidents from biking per unit time spent higher than trips and falls from going down stairs in your house while in self-quarantine? If it is riskier to ascend/descend stairs, should be limit ourselves to one level of the house? In some cases, the answer may be 'yes'; for example if you are older, have fragile bones, and have preexisting respiratory issues. However, if you have someone that may become suicidal if they do not get out for some exercise because everything else in their lives has been removed for the safety of the community (and themselves/their families), then the risks may well fall into an area where it makes sense to accept that level of risk (yes, this is a real scenario). Along with this assessment, comes the possibility that access to proper health care will not be available...so maybe a mountain bike on some less technical trails may be in order where interactions with other individuals can still be limited to stem community infection.
Just be safe, think about yourself, think about your family, think about your neighbors, and assess the proper level of risk that you want to take where the consequences may be a mix of good and/or bad.
Be good to one another, and happy riding/running/etc.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
Plissken74 wrote:

you got it wrong
Running? fine, no issue

I definitely see your point; however, if you are going to make statements with the appearance of facts, then it is important to state as such. For example, is the incidence of accidents from biking per unit time spent higher than trips and falls from going down stairs in your house while in self-quarantine? If it is riskier to ascend/descend stairs, should be limit ourselves to one level of the house? In some cases, the answer may be 'yes'; for example if you are older, have fragile bones, and have preexisting respiratory issues. However, if you have someone that may become suicidal if they do not get out for some exercise because everything else in their lives has been removed for the safety of the community (and themselves/their families), then the risks may well fall into an area where it makes sense to accept that level of risk (yes, this is a real scenario). Along with this assessment, comes the possibility that access to proper health care will not be available...so maybe a mountain bike on some less technical trails may be in order where interactions with other individuals can still be limited to stem community infection.
Just be safe, think about yourself, think about your family, think about your neighbors, and assess the proper level of risk that you want to take where the consequences may be a mix of good and/or bad.
Be good to one another, and happy riding/running/etc.

Stephen J

you don´t seem reasonable and logic

we are talking about "avoiding UNNEEDED risks"

now, if I go out running alone, 0.001% risk of accident, very healthy, boost my immune system and everyone is happy

if I go out cycling for a workout (not for commuting), decent risk of accident, accident can be also very bad in many cases, very healthy though but UNNEEDED

if I walk the stairs in my house because I need to do something important and really needed, if i trip the stairs and fall, well, that´s bad luck as well as going to toilet and having a heart attack. those are daily routine life activities which are NEEDED

please, dont go lock yourself in a corner with some tricky arguments

its very simple: go out running but dont go out for recreational cycling. you dont want to see yourself with broken ribs, broken legs waiting 10 hours in a corridor of an hospital because they cant be after you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
you dont want to see yourself with broken ribs, broken legs waiting 10 hours in a corridor of an hospital because they cant be after you.

I agree the BMX thing is silly, and was just a fun thread.

But otherwise your'e being silly. Cycling free of dumb risk-taking is fine.

They're even doing it in Wuhan!

Last edited by: trail: Mar 17, 20 7:24
Quote Reply