Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
BMC TM02 2017 - Have I done a mistake?
Quote | Reply
Something that has been bugging me for almost a year know. Last summer I was in the market for my first Tri Bike. My first triathlon was back in 2002 after my swimmer carrier failed and almost 15 years latter when I decide to have another go I kept doing it w/ road bikes.

Last summer I decided was time to have a Tri specific bike and did my research - looking at Shivs, Concepts and P3s. After a particular bad week ( month ) at work I decided to treat myself and pull the trigger for a BMC TM02-3

https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/...imemachine-02-three/

It has Shimano 105 and a decent set of wheels that would keep my budget ( marriage ) honest. The problem is - I`M THE ONLY ONE.

I honestly think it looks better than Shiv, Felt and some others. Of course back brakes are a nightmare and setting up seat post ( UCI legal or not ) is complicated. But when I go to races I`m the only one, nobody else has another one.

I honestly never had another Tri bike so it is hard to compare. But I feel fast, I look aero and love the position

So I wonder, Have I done a mistake getting this bike?

Would love to hear about from others!
Last edited by: FaKaspar: May 30, 18 14:01
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 2017 - Have I done a mistake? [FaKaspar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do you feel you've made a mistake? Just because you don't see another one everywhere you look? The affirmation of others is a terrible reason to like / dislike your purchase decision.

I have a 2017 BMC TM02 - ONE. I love it. It's fast, low maintenance, high quality, and orange. I shopped and test rode several brands before I bought it and I'm convinced I made the right call for me. It excels at doing what I bought it for.

The ONLY thing I don't like about it is that you can't fit a left-side Stages power meter to it. It doesn't clear the rear brake.

But . . . I switched wheels to HED Jet Black.
Last edited by: FlashBazbo: May 30, 18 14:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the bike fits you did not make a mistake. Its a very nice bike.

I see quite a few of the previous generation BMC TM series bikes at races, but I havent seen too many of the current version. I dont think that means its a bad bike, it hasnt been on the market as long so the odds of seeing another one are lower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've ridden a Litespeed Saber, a Planet X and now a BMC TM02 (2014 ish). Rarely have I seen my bike at other races. I kinda like it that way

Love my BMC though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should also point out that, if you're so inclined, the TM02 can also be configured to serve as a UCI-legal time trial bike. That's not true of a lot of (most) triathlon bikes.

Versatility is good!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the bike fits and your happy then you got the right bike. I have a BMC tm02 and love it. I've seen maybe 3 other people over two years with a bmc. They aren't as common as others but they are damn good bikes.

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 2017 - Have I done a mistake? [tsdogma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally I think it's one of the best looking bikes on the market, hence the reason I bought it. It's also damn quick. You don't get many in Australia, I think it's just because it's not a big brand over here. Everyone's on Specializised, Trek, Cervelo, Giant. A lot of people haven't heard of BMC so stick to what they know. Which is fine by me :) I get a lot of compliments on my bike, no-one can believe it's a $3k base model. I think mine looks pretty schmick with the race wheels on.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just harder to buy i think. Not a lot of bmc dealers. Definitely a fast bike, and having the only one in transition can be kind of cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
never a mistake it is the best bike I have ridden on and I shopped all over for the time machine have it in white with di2. good to see not a lot in transition
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 2017 - Have I done a mistake? [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j.shanney wrote:
If the bike fits you did not make a mistake. .

/end

All these new superbikes are fast. The differences are small. If it fits you've got yourself a good bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes - you should have gotten the TMO1.

I have both - the 01 for racing the the 02 is on the trainer. Love the bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 2017 - Have I done a mistake? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You Race w/ the 01 and do the training w/ 02. That is interesting!
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 2017 - Have I done a mistake? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beautiful thing! Loved! Saving for some aero wheels! Going to look just like yours!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at it this way: after your swim, when you get to transition, you'll be able to find it right away.

If it fits and is aero, I'd rather have a bike that no one else has.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 2017 - Have I done a mistake? [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I`m just feeling insecure since it is my first Tri bike and I don't see a lot of it around. That feeling everybody knows more and this is why nobody have it.

I would do the Orange for sure but price was a little to much for my budget!

Rear break is a pain, I hear you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love rolling into transition with everyone looking and giving compliments. I have a P5, but it is still fairly rare to see at local races.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 2017 - Have I done a mistake? [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But a TM02 is wayyyy different then a P5. Your is WAY cooler!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 01 is set up to race with race wheels etc.

The 02 has training wheels which are narrower.

Given my lack of mechanical skills, I prefer to not swap out wheels given I’d also have to adjust the breaks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’re DEF not the only one to own a BMC. I think it depemds on where you live and how many dealers are in the area. I live in Miami and I see BMCs everyehere because most shops carry BMC. When I travel to races, I see far less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't get why you think it is a mistake. Does it fit? Does it function? Is it fast? Do you like it? If you answer yes to all those then it's not a mistake. Meanwhile, I'm riding a 2012 TM01. I was ready to replace it this year, but didn't find any other upgrade to be worth the money. I ended up keeping mine but changing it from a mechanical 10 speed to SRAM eTap 11 speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMC is a very high quality bike. You did well. Enjoy that ride!

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 2017 - Have I done a mistake? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tks ZenTri! Really enjoy your podcast! Congrats!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a wonderful bike! Who cares what other people ride. I think the reason you don't see many is because there are fewer dealers, and (in USA at least) I don't think BMC bikes offer especially great value-for-money with respect to the groupsets and wheels that come with the bikes. But they are really really nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FaKaspar wrote:
Tks ZenTri! Really enjoy your podcast! Congrats!

My pleasure!

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Own it!! Being the only one with a particular bike makes you awesome, not a weirdo. One of the reasons I love my Plasma 5 is that not many people have it, it's like being part of an exclusive club. Plus, if you're the only one with a time machine, super easy to spot it on a transition rack.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply

Prev Next