Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BMC TM02 ( 105 ) Vs Felt IA14 ( Ultegra )
Quote | Reply
Hello guys !

First post from a beginner triathlete.

I Have been training for the last 3 months. I started running 3 years ago and then started doing some cycling. Now I'm trying this tri thing.

Well, I need some advice from you. I am currently training in a Trek Emonda ALR4 ( Tiagra Groupset ) with a profile design t2 carbon aero bars.

That's more than enough for me at the moment, but you knnow how it is... I started to watch lots of videos and research some bikes that I have the feeling of being more "mentaly focused" if I ride on a specific tri bike.

Here in my country I can find a BMC TM02 with a 105 groupset for the same price of a Felt IA14 ( Ultegra Groupset ).

Both bikes are used for about a year and in very good condition.

Given that both of them will be overkill for me at the moment, should I go with the Felt due to its better groupset or will I have any advantages on going with the BMC even though having a slightly lower groupset.

I am still deciding if I should buy another bike, but if I decide for buying, probably would be one of these.

Thanks a lot
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 ( 105 ) Vs Felt IA14 ( Ultegra ) [Asdrubal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get fit first.

Assuming both fit, the Felt.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 ( 105 ) Vs Felt IA14 ( Ultegra ) [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of the cost difference in road bike groups is in the shifter and crankset. Both things irrelevant to a tri bike. Bar end shifters and swapping for shorter cranks.

In a tri/TT bike I wouldn't let the crank/group guide my choice. I would base it most around how well it can be adjusted to fit my body, then how well it can store what I want to carry in an ergo and aerodynamic way, then how aero it is itself (including what wheels/tires it can fit). The groupset would be down below even that.

All that to say........I wouldn't allow groupset to affect your decision much at all.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 ( 105 ) Vs Felt IA14 ( Ultegra ) [Asdrubal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the BMC the newest model or one of the older ones? The newer ones have integrated storage which is nice. I don't recall if the previous version did.

Both are good bikes. There is nothing wrong with 105 or Ultegra, I wouldnt make this decision between them high on the priority list assuming they both have mechanical groupsets. If the IA had electronic Ultegra there are some advantages there, being able to shift from the base bar and extensions is very nice.

As others have said get a fit first. If one of the bikes fits you better, then that might make the decision for you.
Quote Reply