Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BMC SLR 01 2018 28mm tyres
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I have a BMC SLR 01 with DT-Swiss PRC-1400 65mm disc wheels. I have Schwalbe One Pro TLR 25mm tyres on them with an Schwalbe SV20 extra light innertire. (don't like the tubeless milk mess, but I do like the One Pro tyre.)

My question is:
Should I be able to use a 28mm tyre on my wheels ? Cause it looks like te back tire (25mm) has not got to much clearance on the seatstays. Is this wheel depentent ? Or tyre dependent ? How can I figure this out without buying and trying a tyre on.

Regards,
DVR
Quote Reply
Re: BMC SLR 01 2018 28mm tyres [Roflpain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same bike (the frame's for sale if anyone is interested). :)

BMC claims 28mm of measured clearance. So it's wheel and tire dependent. I tried some Continental 28c tires on some reynolds rims and it was too wide. Granted, Continental tires are notoriously wider than their stated width and they did in fact measure more than 28c after mounted.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC SLR 01 2018 28mm tyres [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've ran 28mm S-Works Cottons on Enve 5.4s on my SLR01 without issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is both wheel and tire dependent. I have the 2019 SLR01, but I also had the 2018 (long story). But it's important first to actually measure the width of the tire mounted on your wheel. Conti tires (4000SII and 5000TL) in the 25mm size generally measure between 28mm and 29mm. They work fine on the current SLR01, but I wouldn't want to go any bigger. There's no way a "size 28mm" Continental tire would fit in the back. I'm sure it would be over 30mm wide.

All that to say, the only way to know for sure is to mount the tire on the wheel and measure the actual width.
Last edited by: FlashBazbo: Sep 27, 19 9:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think that the size of the tire that you can use is dependent on how much space your frame has.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roflpain wrote:
Hello,

I have a BMC SLR 01 with DT-Swiss PRC-1400 65mm disc wheels. I have Schwalbe One Pro TLR 25mm tyres on them with an Schwalbe SV20 extra light innertire. (don't like the tubeless milk mess, but I do like the One Pro tyre.)

My question is:
Should I be able to use a 28mm tyre on my wheels ? Cause it looks like te back tire (25mm) has not got to much clearance on the seatstays. Is this wheel depentent ? Or tyre dependent ? How can I figure this out without buying and trying a tyre on.

Regards,
DVR

I have the same bike.
ProOne (tubeless) 25's actually measure 28/29 and the fit the bike fine. I bought some ProOne 28's wanted to try a bigger tire but they measured 31/32 and were too tight of a fit in the frame (would have definitely rubbed the frame under load) so I returned them.

I now have Conti5000TL's in 28 and they measure 28. Fit well.

So, rule of thumb is you need to actually measure your/a tire in order to know if it will fit or not because the labeled size is often wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I would think that the size of the tire that you can use is dependent on how much space your frame has.

Yikes...

I had the disc version of this frame for a while, liked it quite a bit. As others have mentioned, it really comes to what the tire actually measures once mounted on the rim. In my experience the Schwalbe measures bigger than the label says, on those rims at least, so the 25's might be as big as you may be able to go.

Labeled size is irrelevant in a way, if your tire is labeled 700x23, but on a rim measures 28, you're effectively riding a 28. Frame manufacturers typically give you the measured tire size that will fit while still having 4mm of clearance between the tire and the frame on both sides (so 8mm total).
Quote Reply
Re: BMC SLR 01 2018 28mm tyres [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I think I just haven 2x4mm clearance. So I don't think a 28 wont fit. Should find me a measuring tool for measuring the right size...
Quote Reply