Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BIke shop with Rotor spider removal tool in Temecula,Ca.
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for a bikeshop that have the Rotor spider removal tool in local Temecula, California area.

My daughter had a bike crash at her camp, and now needs to switch her Rotor P2M to another frameset.

Thanks for the help,

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: BIke shop with Rotor spider removal tool in Temecula,Ca. [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure of how many shops would possibly have the tool. I know that you used to be able to purchase the tool from Quark for about $40. Check with Quark power meters and see if they still have any.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Re: BIke shop with Rotor spider removal tool in Temecula,Ca. [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the tool at home. But I'm 5000 miles away from the girls's camp. It's still amazing how no shop has this tool around in "civilised" southern Cal.
I mean, as a bike shop, you have to have any tool to fix bike stuff, be it Campagnolo, SRam, Shimano, or the proprietary stuff like Magura, Rotor, Cannondale Hollowgram, etc,etc...

LOuis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: BIke shop with Rotor spider removal tool in Temecula,Ca. [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is transferring the crank not an option? Is that what broke?
Quote Reply
Re: BIke shop with Rotor spider removal tool in Temecula,Ca. [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well since it's a crank based powermeter, it's a needed tool on the new bike.
It needs a specific bottom bracket for the Felt frame (BB386EVO for 30 mm spindles) since they come stock with 24 mm spindles Bottom Brackets.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’ll have a lot easier time finding a PF30 BB to switch to, and use the crank you already have. Not sure I understand, but that’s what I’d do.
Quote Reply
Re: BIke shop with Rotor spider removal tool in Temecula,Ca. [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah, the frames are BB386EVO, and have a Rotor screwed in BB already in them. But thanks for trying to help.

Last edited by: louisn: Mar 3, 19 17:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
louisn wrote:
Nah, the frames are BB386EVO, and have a Rotor screwed in BB already in them. But thanks for trying to help.

Louis, are you rally looking for a shop to remove the P2M spider from the Rotor crankset? Or is the intent to remove the Rotor crankset with the P2M and move the crankset to the replacement bike?

The old Rotor cranks flipped the driveside retaining nut for extracting the DS arm. The newer Rotor cranks use a Shimano splined cassette nut tool for extracting the DS arm after taking out the retaining nut.

If this isn’t what’s needed for her bike and the cranks do need a spider swap then maybe check with Nytro in Encinitas They’ve rep’d Cervelo so long maybe they have all tool needed for breaking down Rotor cranks to swap spiders.
Last edited by: SummitAK: Mar 3, 19 18:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
switch her Rotor P2M to another frameset

This still doesn't make any sense. You don't need a special tool to swap the crankset from one frame to another. You need the rotor tool to switch the power meter spider from one crankset to another. So do you need to swap the power meter (& crank) onto a new frame, or do you need to swap the power meter spider to a new crank?
Quote Reply
Re: BIke shop with Rotor spider removal tool in Temecula,Ca. [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They need the Rotor tool to remove the Rotor BB386EVO Bottom Bracket (screwed on with the proprietary Rotor splines) from the Felt FR3 frame, and install it on the other Felt frame.

Yes I heard Nytro could have the tool. I think the staff will try tomorrow. Thanks

Last edited by: louisn: Mar 3, 19 18:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, your original post and subsequent follow up comments until this one were extremely unclear along with straight up confusing. To many a Rotor "spider" removal tool is the special one that removes the lockring that attaches the chainring spider to the crank arms.

You eventually clarified are asking for a proprietary Rotor bottom bracket removal tool. If you would've mentioned the bottom bracket you might've save a lot of confusion from others trying the help. From your original post you made it sound like the Rotor crank arms were damaged and you wanted to transport the P2M spider to a new set of crank arms. Not transfer an existing Rotor brand bottom bracket to a new frame.
Last edited by: loxx0050: Mar 3, 19 19:41
Quote Reply
Re: BIke shop with Rotor spider removal tool in Temecula,Ca. [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah sorry for my lack of "clear-ness".
I used the "spider removal tool" term because that's how they call it :-)....
Rotor doesn't even use the term bottom bracket removal tool... I know, a bit confusing...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's definitely something getting lost in the communication here. We have established that you are NOT talking about the Rotor spider removal tool. However, if you are talking about a tool to move the BSA 30 bottom bracket to another bike, that's a really common tool. Several people make a 12 notch 46mm OD bottom bracket install/removal tool. It should be in most shops. That size is not specific to Rotor (but they do make one).
Quote Reply
Re: BIke shop with Rotor spider removal tool in Temecula,Ca. [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Again, yes, the terms used are confusing.
If you are searching for a BB removal tool, here's what you'll get (mostly for the BSA30 BB, it's not the same as the Shimano Hollowtech II, not compatible):

But this tool is not compatible with the screwed on BB386EVO Bottom Bracket:

To remove, and install that specific bottom bracket, you need the...hum!! Rotor spider removal tool :-) :

Hope it's more clear now...

Last edited by: louisn: Mar 4, 19 5:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way more clear. Thank you. That's a rare bird.

If it were me, I would just have them throw in a pf30 (which would be 386 specs on that Felt) bottom bracket for now. They should have any basic pf30 in stock for ~$40 or so. The crank will go right in and you can worry about getting your preferred BB in there later.

(Edit) Also, keep in mind that there are two different sizes of spider removal tool. There's one specific to the 30 mm (the picture you linked) and one specific to the 24 mm axle.

Last edited by: dangle: Mar 4, 19 5:35
Quote Reply
Re: BIke shop with Rotor spider removal tool in Temecula,Ca. [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I told her to get a cheap FSA PF bottom bracket, and bring everything back home after her camp (extra luggage will cost me though, anybody want a cracked Felt FR3 frame for a few dollars ;-) ?) ...

Quote Reply