Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BIKE FITTER NERDS ONLY. Let's derive an equation to drive crank length selection
Quote | Reply
Play with this math as a driver for crank length while in aerobars:

Measuring at top dead center of the pedal stroke, shorten the crank arms until 2X KF° + 1X TT° = or >175°

KF = Knee flexion angle, measured from the malleolus, through the middle of lateral knee, to the head of the greater trochanter.
TT = Thigh to torso angle, measured from the outer edge of clavicle, through the trochanter, to the middle of lateral knee.

Basically looking for knee flexion roughly 70 degrees or greater and thigh to torso roughly 35 degrees or greater. If we close one, we need to open the other. I think knee flexion is a bigger factor but both play into it. So if the crank is too long, we REALLY need to raise the front, but perhaps we can ride a really low front if we sufficiently shorten the cranks?

Quote Reply
Re: BIKE FITTER NERDS ONLY. Let's derive an equation to drive crank length selection [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you normalizing saddle X-Y as you change crank length to maintain some sort of normalized flexion at the bottom of the pedal stroke? Because saddle position would affect both your angles. You have sort of a multivariate problem, not just a static optimization.

I'm a little confused, though because mentally I see shorter crank length reducing knee flexion. Unless you're measuring the opposite angle I'm thinking of.
Quote Reply
Re: BIKE FITTER NERDS ONLY. Let's derive an equation to drive crank length selection [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is just me scribbling.

Yes, the saddle moves as the crank length changes, mostly to maintain knee angle at the bottom of the stroke, also to make the same compensation at the forward most point.

I'm not measuring knee flexion in the classic sense, but rather how I describe. The actual angle made by those three points will increase as crank length shortens. I probably shouldn't call it knee flexion, or I should measure it in the current medical manner and change the equation.

What do you think though? Is there a relationship between these angles that could be used to drive crank length choices? I say there is.
Quote Reply
Re: BIKE FITTER NERDS ONLY. Let's derive an equation to drive crank length selection [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should ask H2Ofun /Frank Day to share their meticulously collected data.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
What do you think though? Is there a relationship between these angles that could be used to drive crank length choices? I say there is.

I think there is, but I'll have to think about it more (and read your angles more carefully). I once started a set of equations that could be used as a "fitter's starting point." E.g. the inputs were some basic measurements and constraints (limb lengths and angle constraints), then it would solve for saddle and bar XY to start at. I *think* I included crank length, but used it as an input rather than something to solve for like you are. Will have to think about it more....
Quote Reply
Re: BIKE FITTER NERDS ONLY. Let's derive an equation to drive crank length selection [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, yeah, I don't think it's perfect or even close as written. I do think those two angles work together to cause restriction at the top of the stroke, knee flexion is more important, and shortening the cranks improves the situation for both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing my masters thesis on this topic. I'll send a pm to confer if you like.
Quote Reply
Re: BIKE FITTER NERDS ONLY. Let's derive an equation to drive crank length selection [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely. Email is coachdave@davidluscan.com
Quote Reply