Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BC Chief Medical Officer: ‘COVID is like Ironman’
Quote | Reply
From British Columbia’s Chief Medical Officer:

During Monday's briefing, Henry compared the pandemic to an Iron Man triathlon competition, with "three different, strenuous legs."We got through the swim — just barely. And now we're on the bike ride and we've got some big hills to climb ahead of us," she said.

"Right now, we have a distance to go. The next leg is not in sight." The final leg of this pandemic will only come when a vaccine is available, Henry explained.

Then we get a COVID calf tattoo!
Last edited by: davetallo: Nov 23, 20 19:50
Quote Reply
Re: BC Chief Medical Officer: ‘COVID is like Ironman’ [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many IM and 140.6 stickers do you think that dude has on his car.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: BC Chief Medical Officer: ‘COVID is like Ironman’ [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Northwestern ID doc was interviewed last week on national TV, NBC Tonight, and said that this second wave for healthcare workers is like being told to run a marathon after an Ironman.

Couldn't find any info on her regarding endurance sports... maybe she has an endurance athlete in the family.
Quote Reply
Re: BC Chief Medical Officer: ‘COVID is like Ironman’ [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably none. She's more of a runner, I think.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe about half as many stickers as you have races listed in your signature :P
Quote Reply
Re: BC Chief Medical Officer: ‘COVID is like Ironman’ [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well leave it to sportsats, but looks like she has been banging out a whole slew of half marathons and 10k's in the last two decades. It appears she had zero racing in her first year in W55-59, but in 50-54 put out some credible 54ish minute 10k races. I guess she's either busy fighting a pandemic now, or there is no racing in 2020 even for her:

https://www.sportstats.ca/...l?query=bonnie+henry

haha, even funnier, we both raced the Canadian International Marathon together in 199 in Toronto! I am sure with her prolific racing many STers in Canada would have overlapped in the same races as her!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chuy wrote:
How many IM and 140.6 stickers do you think that dude has on his car.

Dudette.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's like an Ironman triathlon except one you haven't trained for, you weigh 220lbs and haven't left the couch in 10 years. We all know what happens on the run.

davetallo wrote:

During Monday's briefing, Henry compared the pandemic to an Iron Man triathlon competition, with "three different, strenuous legs."We got through the swim — just barely. And now we're on the bike ride and we've got some big hills to climb ahead of us," she said.

"Right now, we have a distance to go. The next leg is not in sight." The final leg of this pandemic will only come when a vaccine is available, Henry explained.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More like a marshmallow test...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:

I always do reasonably well in the swimming, get caught up and passed by quite a few on the bike leg, then usually die on my arse half way into the run leg.
Wonder what that means in the Covid-man ??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During Monday's briefing, Henry compared the pandemic to an Iron Man triathlon competition, with "three different, strenuous legs."We got through the swim — just barely. And now we're on the bike ride and we've got some big hills to climb ahead of us," she said

And then there is writer Alex Hutchinson's piece in the Globe & Mail from last Saturday comparing dealing/coping with COVID19, to having to run a marathon with no finish line - https://www.theglobeandmail.com/...nish-line-what-does/

As Endurance Sports Athletes we often have better coping mechanisms than average folk.

As I personally deal with this year of no work, and no income, because of the pandemic, I am grateful for my background as a life long Endurance Sports athlete - staying in the moment, not thinking too far ahead or about a, "finish line", controlling the things I can control, investing in the routine and the process!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
revised .

During Monday's briefing, Henry compared the pandemic to an Iron Man triathlon competition, with "three different, strenuous legs."We posted on ST for nine months about zwift cheating and oversized pulleys, and achieved net savings for 3 watts. Then we got to the bike and sat bolt-upright around mile 60, and will walk the back half and hell most of the non-spectator front half as well. But our social media will read that we OWNED the virus" she said.

davetallo wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:

Translation - I hope to be able to do these briefings for a while longer. Because before March 2020 - who the hell even knew who was the CMO of British Columbia?

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: BC Chief Medical Officer: ‘COVID is like Ironman’ [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’re right. Just yesterday i had a conversation that was something like “rank CMOs, favorite to least favorite.” I didn’t think i had strong opinions on that, but it turns out i did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the commenter who assumed the Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry was a man, to the one who implied she was irrelevant before March, and the other who is ranking our medical professionals who probably haven’t taken a days rest in month.... smarten up (and in Canada we spell favourite with a ‘u’ )
Quote Reply
Re: BC Chief Medical Officer: ‘COVID is like Ironman’ [writersblock12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I defy you to observe the effectiveness of communications of Dr. David Williams (Ontario) and Dr. Bonnie Henry (BC) and not arrive at a ranking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
I defy you to observe the effectiveness of communications of Dr. David Williams (Ontario) and Dr. Bonnie Henry (BC) and not arrive at a ranking.

Double letters

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: BC Chief Medical Officer: ‘COVID is like Ironman’ [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
During Monday's briefing, Henry compared the pandemic to an Ironman triathlon competition, with "three different, strenuous legs."We got through the swim — just barely. And now we're on the bike ride and we've got some big hills to climb ahead of us," she said

And then there is writer Alex Hutchinson's piece in the Globe & Mail from last Saturday comparing dealing/coping with COVID19, to having to run a marathon with no finish line - https://www.theglobeandmail.com/...nish-line-what-does/

As Endurance Sports Athletes we often have better coping mechanisms than average folk.

As I personally deal with this year of no work, and no income, because of the pandemic, I am grateful for my background as a life long Endurance Sports athlete - staying in the moment, not thinking too far ahead or about a, "finish line", controlling the things I can control, investing in the routine and the process!

I was thinking more like a Backyard Ultra, where you have no idea how far you're going to go, or how long it's going to last, you just have to keep going until you're the only one standing; just keep getting up and answering the bell

Quote Reply
Re: BC Chief Medical Officer: ‘COVID is like Ironman’ [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking more like a Backyard Ultra, where you have no idea how far you're going to go, or how long it's going to last, you just have to keep going until you're the only one standing; just keep getting up and answering the bell

If you read the piece by Alex Hutchinson, he talks about the Back Yard Ultra and using Mike Wardian as an example in the story telling. Alex actually trained and ran with Mike a bit when the two of them were working in Washington DC a few years ago.

I got to interview Mike at the Washington Rock-n-Roll Marathon a few years ago when I was working there as an Announcer. I loved looking at his resume at all these crazy Records he had!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Nov 25, 20 8:33
Quote Reply
Re: BC Chief Medical Officer: ‘COVID is like Ironman’ [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

If you read the piece by Alex Hutchinson, he talks about the Bake Yard Ultra and using Mike Wardian as an example in the story telling. Alex actually trained and ran with Mike a bit when the two of them were working in Washington DC a few years ago.

I got to interview Mike at the Washington Rock-n-Roll Marathon a few years ago when I was working there as an Announcer. I loved looking at his resume at all these crazy Records he had!

I was using the "Quote first, THEN read" protocol LOL

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
COVID is like Ironman.......if someone has gone through it chances are that they will find a way to tell you about it.
Quote Reply