Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BBright Bottom bracket options for vision 386 evo crankset
Quote | Reply
My FSA Modular aero crank does not spin wil in my cervelo S2.
Less than 2 revolutions.
The BB is a rotor pressfit 30 with FSA spacers.I suspect that the BB is not perfectly aligned because the bearings feel smooth to the touch and the cranks does not spin any better without spacers and zero preload.

What are my BB options?

A one piece BB seems like the best option but it would cost upwards of 250 EUR delivered to the EU.
I am also afraid of the chances I might destroy my frame.

Would a screw-together bb like token ninja or wheels fmg be a beter option than 2 piece pressfit BB's?
Anyone experience with this 'upgrade' after a pressfit BB.
Are there other BB's of this type from other brands?
Quote Reply
Re: BBright Bottom bracket options for vision 386 evo crankset [Jo O.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: BBright Bottom bracket options for vision 386 evo crankset [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you but as stated:
Too expensive shipped to EU
I am afraid to damage the frame beyond repair.
Quote Reply
Re: BBright Bottom bracket options for vision 386 evo crankset [Jo O.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would you damage the frame? You can guide the BB carefully and slowly though the frame. I've been using BBinfinite exclusively and been very happy with them. Be generous with the supplied liquid and you wont hear a peep from the BB again
Quote Reply
Re: BBright Bottom bracket options for vision 386 evo crankset [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One piece bb is a good option if the bb shell is made to some decent tolerances. With the shell being off (alignment, diameters) mounting such insert may be very challenging or impossible at all.
Deciding between Wheelsmfg and Token Ninja I'd suggest going for the first one. Couple of things I don't like about the Ninja. One, unlike NDS, drive side bearing is not easily accessible from the inside. Removing bearing is not as easy as the NDS side. Second, imo, plastic ring negates the concept of the aluminium insert, which may improve bb shell alignment, of course in micro scale.
Quote Reply
Re: BBright Bottom bracket options for vision 386 evo crankset [1415chris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1415chris wrote:
One piece bb is a good option if the bb shell is made to some decent tolerances. With the shell being off (alignment, diameters) mounting such insert may be very challenging or impossible at all.
Deciding between Wheelsmfg and Token Ninja I'd suggest going for the first one. Couple of things I don't like about the Ninja. One, unlike NDS, drive side bearing is not easily accessible from the inside. Removing bearing is not as easy as the NDS side. Second, imo, plastic ring negates the concept of the aluminium insert, which may improve bb shell alignment, of course in micro scale.

The problem is that as a home mechanic you can't measure these tolerance with standard tools.
Or is my fear of damaging the frame unfounded?
What happens when you try to install a one piece BB in a frame with misaligned sides?
Will the BB just not be able to install or will it distroy the carbon fibers of the frame?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, your fear is unfounded.

Your frame's bottom bracket is not misaligned so much that it will affect anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More or less for these reasons I have threaded together bottom brackets on my two bikes. The other thing is that some of the one-piece brackets have insane price attached to them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The diameter tolerances would be have the same effect on one piece or two piece. Neither is generally a problem. It'll go in slightly easier or harder depending on diameter, and the retaining compound will help keep it fixed. That's all.

Misalignment also won't be so far off as to matter to a one-piece. Carbon fiber is flexible.
Quote Reply
Re: BBright Bottom bracket options for vision 386 evo crankset [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
The diameter tolerances would be have the same effect on one piece or two piece. Neither is generally a problem. It'll go in slightly easier or harder depending on diameter, and the retaining compound will help keep it fixed. That's all.

Misalignment also won't be so far off as to matter to a one-piece. Carbon fiber is flexible.

1) I agree wrt to the diameter. although the ninja BB is alloy + a composite outer layer that an conform to the shell if it would be slightly undersized. No idea if it works or if it just marketing

2) Carbon composite can be made very flexible (think fishing rod) or brittle (e.g. unidirectional carbon)
Manufacturers aim to make the BB shell stiff.
So i am not sure I can agree on the statement that carbon fiber is flexible
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used wheels MFG on multiple cervelos now and they are easy to install and work great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are way overthinking this.

Install a bottom bracket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kevin from FSA/Vision here.

We see this issue when our cranks and spacers are used with other brand BB's. The flange is wider then our bottom bracket and is causing the drag you are experiencing. I would recommend an FSA bottom bracket part 200-3112 would be the FSA PF30 bottom bracket. This should allow for proper spacing with the BBright spacers. This issue will be worse with a Wheels or BBinfinite bottom bracket as they have a wider flange for tool engagement.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Quote Reply