Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BB386evo crankset in bb86 shell; should I be concerned about bearing life?
Quote | Reply
I'm considering a BB386evo crankset for my road bike with a BB86 shell. I'm concerned that the bearings for this combo, being smaller than usual to fit the large-diamter axle in the small-diameter shell, might not have much longevity. Am I over-thinking this? I haven't found many stories about how this has worked for folks. I'm not sure if it's because it's a bad idea that most people, other than me, are smart enough to stay away from, or if it's done all the time without issue, and people don't post many stories on the internet about things that work the way they're supposed to.

Anyone done this and want to share your experience?

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Jan 19, 19 13:41
Quote Reply
Re: BB386evo crankset in bb86 shell; should I be concerned about bearing life? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a 386evo crankset in a BMC TMR02 frame. I hated it - first, it was near impossible getting a BB to install properly. Any slight misaligned with the bearing press and it would compress the bearings as they went in and they were toast. Mind you, it was installer (my) error, but I’ve installed 15+ pressfit bottom brackets before with no issue. After I finally got one installed properly, the bearings seemed to have unreasonably high friction and the BB started making noise after only 500-1000 miles. I ended up giving the crankset (it was an FSA K-Force Power2max 386evo) to my wife for her BB30 bike and I put a GXP crankset into my bb86 frame. Much, much happier that way.

Re: BB386evo crankset in bb86 shell; should I be concerned about bearing life? [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:
I had a 386evo crankset in a BMC TMR02 frame. I hated it - first, it was near impossible getting a BB to install properly. Any slight misaligned with the bearing press and it would compress the bearings as they went in and they were toast. Mind you, it was installer (my) error, but I’ve installed 15+ pressfit bottom brackets before with no issue. After I finally got one installed properly, the bearings seemed to have unreasonably high friction and the BB started making noise after only 500-1000 miles. I ended up giving the crankset (it was an FSA K-Force Power2max 386evo) to my wife for her BB30 bike and I put a GXP crankset into my bb86 frame. Much, much happier that way.

If you press the bearings in one at a time is is nigh on impossible to press them crooked as the frame gives a flat reference.
Quote Reply