Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Avoiding a BTS bottle launch
Quote | Reply
XLab wing. Gorilla cages. Podium Chill 24oz bottle. Rough road at Santa Rosa. reached back for a drink, bottle was simply not there. User error and I didn’t push it all the way down after the first drink? Is the podium chill bottle less likely to “stick” in the gorilla cages and I should be using something else? Maybe just a rare event and I should just chalk it up to fate? There were certainly enough other bottles around on the ground I could have picked up a spare.....
Quote Reply
Re: Avoiding a BTS bottle launch [mpderksen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a tririg Kappa rear cage and have had no launches. I feel like "chill" insulated bottles launch easier as they're stiffer and the cage is less able to "grip" the bottle. Just my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you reached out to our technical department and spoke to Trent? We would be able to look at your setup and condition of cages to see if we can spot anything else beyond the bottle type.

Speaking of bottle-type, we have done grip force tests with Camelbak bottles and it was easier to pull those out vs bottles that had a deep groove. We do mention this on the cage packaging and on our Gorilla webpage under Specs.

I am excited for the new Camelbaks though. I saw they re-designed the shape to be a better cage fit. Allegedly got all the bottle cages they thought were essential to work with, making sure the bottle fit had improved. Hopefully they considered the Gorilla series! Needless to say we will be getting our hands on them to test as they are a top bottle in the triathlon world.

We do have our own version of insulated bottle, the Cool Shot, which has a deep groove. You can always try those out before the new Camelbak bottles are here.

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Re: Avoiding a BTS bottle launch [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
I feel like "chill" insulated bottles launch easier .....

x2.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are your bottle cages at an angle that is not perpendicular to the ground? I had angled my down and had constant bottle launches even with the gorilla cages, and had to end up adjusting them to get them more vertical, which has resulted in zero launches since.

I use 22 oz purist bottles, those seem to grip pretty well with the gorilla cages.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Avoiding a BTS bottle launch [Candice - XLAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Candice - XLAB wrote:
Have you reached out to our technical department and spoke to Trent? We would be able to look at your setup and condition of cages to see if we can spot anything else beyond the bottle type.

We do have our own version of insulated bottle, the Cool Shot, which has a deep groove. You can always try those out before the new Camelbak bottles are here.

If you’re saying the Cool Shot fits tighter/better, then sure, I’ll go for a few. I didn’t call, since it certainly could have been user error and I didn’t push it all the way back in on the last drink. Plus, the Santa Rosa event had some pretty rough roads.
As far as the angle, I can post a picture, but I’ve seen many setups far more horizontal than mine. It’s a new P3 with an ISM saddle. Nothing special, really, so the mount should be right. At least I didn’t launch the duo-pod with my tools and then hit the tacks at mile 45!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quite possibly...things happen in races as we all know too well!

We are always more than happy to take a glance though. I heard Santa Rosa was pretty bad with the roads and the air :/

As long as you have the carrier mounted appropriately and not too horizontal on the cage angle, I would say it was more the bottle than anything.

There were tacks??? Oh gee that would be soo maddening!

Hope you had a good race despite the bottle loss & the tacks!

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Re: Avoiding a BTS bottle launch [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
I use a tririg Kappa rear cage and have had no launches. I feel like "chill" insulated bottles launch easier as they're stiffer and the cage is less able to "grip" the bottle. Just my opinion.
x2..

Had the gorilla cage's before and lost bottles.. Haven't lost a single one with the tririg.. at least yet :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me the Gorilla cage is the wrong shape. Having the split in the middle that any shock over a bump the cage effectively stretches open with the force from the bounce and loosens it's grip on the bottle and it ejects. I learnt my lesson and went to a cage that is supportive of a bottle in that orientation. The Elite Canninal I use on a Dash TT9 saddle is quite horizontal supports the bottle almost to the end of the top and bottle ejection issues are gone.

https://www.merlincycles.com/elite-cannibal-bottle-cage-79672.html

Quote Reply
Re: Avoiding a BTS bottle launch [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
Are your bottle cages at an angle that is not perpendicular to the ground? I had angled my down and had constant bottle launches even with the gorilla cages, and had to end up adjusting them to get them more vertical, which has resulted in zero launches since.

I use 22 oz purist bottles, those seem to grip pretty well with the gorilla cages.

I found the opposite to be true. Vertical (Gorilla) cages launched at every pothole. At an angle of 30-60 degrees, much less launches (and better-hidden behind the saddle), even had a bottle survive the Pavé of IM Frankfurt. I think of it this way: Slam a cup of water against a table, the water will bounce out.

But yes, Camelbak bottles are the worst for ejection. I like Tacx Shiva or Spesh Purists, anything with a nice lip.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO Camelbacks are the worst bottles out there. I love the big mouth shoot a ton of water in my mouth feature.... but that weird twisted ridge on the actual bottle doesn't stay in cages very well IMO/IME. I've launched them out of my BTA, BTS and when I work triathlon/bike events I pick up a lot of Camelback bottles on the side of the road.

Summary they don't stay in cages very well.

Otherwise my Gorilla XT hold bottles great that aren't Camelbacks.
Quote Reply
Re: Avoiding a BTS bottle launch [hhetland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hhetland wrote:
triguy86 wrote:
x2..

Had the gorilla cage's before and lost bottles.. Haven't lost a single one with the tririg.. at least yet :-)

I have ejected plenty of bottles with the tririg cage (mine is zip tied to the saddle).

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m using spec rib cages and spec bottles, no launches yet even on our crap roads and multiple speed bumps and railroad crossings.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Avoiding a BTS bottle launch [Candice - XLAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Candice - XLAB wrote:

Speaking of bottle-type, we have done grip force tests with Camelbak bottles and it was easier to pull those out vs bottles that had a deep groove. We do mention this on the cage packaging and on our Gorilla webpage under Specs.

I am excited for the new Camelbaks though. I saw they re-designed the shape to be a better cage fit. Allegedly got all the bottle cages they thought were essential to work with, making sure the bottle fit had improved. Hopefully they considered the Gorilla series! Needless to say we will be getting our hands on them to test as they are a top bottle in the triathlon world.

I have two types of Camelback bottles. The newer Podiums, which are a couple of years old. As well as an older style which is a little taller and narrower, but has a deeper groove than the podiums. Both are 24oz, uninsulated bottles.

Personally, I have had no issues of bottles flying out of cages on the Superwing with Gorilla-XT cages. While it has only been a few rides, they were on rough roads and across railroad tracks more than a few times. I read about the warning of the Podium bottles prior to purchase. But, found the grip to be exceptional, and I also take an extra second or two to spin the bottle so the deeper part of the groove lines up with the keeper. Also, I have the cages installed as vertically as possible, which is what I believe the installation directions mentioned to do as well. The Podiums I have were more difficult to remove from the Gorilla cages than the older Camelbacks I have, but that is because the Podiums are a little wider and shorter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mpderksen wrote:
XLab wing. Gorilla cages. Podium Chill 24oz bottle. Rough road at Santa Rosa. reached back for a drink, bottle was simply not there. User error and I didn’t push it all the way down after the first drink? Is the podium chill bottle less likely to “stick” in the gorilla cages and I should be using something else? Maybe just a rare event and I should just chalk it up to fate? There were certainly enough other bottles around on the ground I could have picked up a spare.....

I have taken to using a rubber band looped around the cage and the valve stem when starting the race. With one bottle BTA and one BTS, I move the BTS bottle to the front after going through the initial bottle. Can either lift off the rubber band or just break it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need to figure out what I am doing wrong. I can't get my bottle out of my gorilla cage. I pretty much have to pull over.

I looked like an idiot trying to get my bottle out while holding another bottle in my teeth, then putting the empty bottle in my teeth into the gorilla cage.

Almost wrecked several times during that 3 minute ordeal.

Note: I no longer put bottles in that cage :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I started using my first BTS bottle holder, I had a problem with bottle launches.

Two things solved my problem

#1 I wrapped some layers of electrical tape around the holders where they pinch the bottle, just to make them a little tighter.
#2 and most importantly, I changed the angle of the holders from straight up and down to a slanted angle

I really think the slanted angle solved the problem. Think about it, if you hit a bump, the force is going to go straight up. Easy for veritcle bottles to launch. If your bottles are on an angle, straight up force now has resistance.

Hope this idea helps!

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply