Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Average IMer to Kona possible with right training?
Quote | Reply
So this weekend the beers were flowing a bit heavy with me and some IM buddies and we started talking about if it were possible for any of us to ever qualify for Kona. All of us are middle of the pack kinda guys. My PR is 11:40 at IM Arizona, my friends are low/mid 12's at IM Wisconsin. So very MOP for all. Triathlon is a serious hobby, but not something we sink massive time or effort into. But what if we did?

And none of us are exceptional athletes. Good athletes, yes. Exceptional, not even close. We have Ford Mustang engines, not Ferrari engines.

The question was: If an average semi-trained M35-39 IM'er did the absolute best training, nutrition, equipment, etc., is it possible to turn that person into a Kona qualifier within 5 years?

There were 2 no votes and 2 yes votes.

Your thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Average IMer to Kona possible with right training? [craigas2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I vote yes. I Don't beleve in limiters.
Quote Reply
Re: Average IMer to Kona possible with right training? [craigas2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My vote is yes.

I am neither a coach, Ironman, or have any degrees in human physiology.

But 5 years is a LONG time... I would say that most people can reach/ close in on their max potential in that amount of time.

Heck, didn't Matt Lieto go from like 300lb couch-man to pro in only a few years?

Quote | Reply
Given the right sacrifices, yes.

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd vote yes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In five years? With the best training, and equipment?
Absolutely yes!

Of course, I'm speaking as someone who's only completed one IM (St. George last year).

But, with five years of training I think you could bore out that Mustang engine, and stick a supercharger on it and compete with those Ferraris.

I think it would come down to a question of whether the average middle-of-the-packer had the drive to do the work required. If they did I think it could happen. If you'd said 2-3 years I wouldn't be so sure.

blog: transitionfour.com
twitter: @tritweeter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It also about picking the right race that fits your strengths. There aren't a lot of options, but still... you can be strategic. I found an excellent analysis on picking the right race and am going to Arizona this year based on this analysis. Will be my first time, so my goal is to go under 12, but you never know.

Here is the link if you are interested
http://www.racegossip.com/...which-road-take-kona

Train hard!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are probably going to have to run high 9's (depending on the race) to get there...

So a solid swim of 1:10 or less.
A strong bike on 5:15 or less.
A strong run better than 3:30 should get you in a good position to qualify

I personally don't thing the average IMer is capable of those times on the same day.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends how you made out in the genetic lottery. As a long time runner, I know people who have trained seriously for well over 5 years and never qualified for the Boston Marathon. In my opinion, getting to Boston is a hell of a lot easier than Kona. I would say there's no way the "average" person, regardless of training, qualifies for Kona unless he or she gets very lucky with a weak age group on race day. In the M35-39 or M40-44, you need to go close to or under 10:00 on a fair course. To go that fast, aside from hard work, nutrition, and equipment, you need to have an above average to excellent engine. It doesn't have to be a Ferrari, but I'm not sure a Ford Mustang will cut it. As a gauge, if you can't complete an Olympic distance is the 2:10 range, or 70.3 distance in the 4:30 range, you will have a difficult time making the cut...
Quote Reply
Re: Average IMer to Kona possible with right training? [Ozanfb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read those tables incorrectly at first - I thought they were the averages for all competitors! Much better as KQ times.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think with a full time long hour office job probably not, but if someone is able to train full time like a pro then it is very possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Average IMer to Kona possible with right training? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
You are probably going to have to run high 9's (depending on the race) to get there...

I personally don't thing the average IMer is capable of those times on the same day.

jaretj

its faster than that now

1:00 swim
5:15 bike
3:20 run
5 min transitions
Quote Reply
Re: Average IMer to Kona possible with right training? [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SeasonsChange wrote:
jaretj wrote:

jaretj

its faster than that now

1:00 swim
5:15 bike
3:20 run
5 min transitions

Yeah, it's ceratinly there at a lot of races already. These are the metrics.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
craigas2 wrote:
The question was: If an average semi-trained M35-39 IM'er did the absolute best training, nutrition, equipment, etc., is it possible to turn that person into a Kona qualifier within 5 years?

The absolute best nutrition and equipment won't get you there, the absolute best training might get you there. Although I think most average age groupers are 15-20 years too old to really improve hours and can only get there by not giving up and staying in the sport long enough without slowing down much.

I do think that most average 15 year olds can be trained to reach Kona qualification level within 10-15 years. Young athletes are far more trainable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, I did it. I was very ordinary but with the right training and consistency it can be done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No.

Hard work is great but the price of admission is genetic potential + hard work (and a lot of other stuff as well), IMO. I could quit my job and train full time, and I would not qualify for Kona.

Phil
Quote Reply
Re: Average IMer to Kona possible with right training? [phil combs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not with that attitude.
Quote Reply
Re: Average IMer to Kona possible with right training? [OJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
never trust anyoone named OJ
;)

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to disappoint some of you, but there are physiological/genetic limiters. Given everyone is not equal, and there are plenty out there with huge work ethics and plenty of time and money, I am not sure the average guy can make it to Kona.
Having said that, I do not know your (anyones) genetic potential and there is only one way to find it. Life is short, go for it. The kids don't need a iPAD.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Average IMer to Kona possible with right training? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

jaretj

I think the OP is a male ;)

An age-grouper I coach just raced IMNZ:

Swim '1:10 or less' - 57min, check.
Bike '5:15 or less' - 5:13, check.
Run 'better than 3:30' - 3:29, check.

Total time: 9:48. That was good enough for 18th place in the M35-29. Winner went 8:58.

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Average IMer to Kona possible with right training? [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with PS, on the faster courses, you need to aim for 9 flat fitness, and that is a tough stretch for many/most people.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
only one way to find out........:)

I will say, I personally feel the key is removing a lot of the things in your life that hold you back. Including your 2 friends who think it's impossbile. Then backfill all that created space with training and sleep.

If you were willling to remove them for your life in order to KQ, you'd be a person I'd bet had a good chance at it.

If you want to KQ, and maintain your existing life (i.e. have your cake and eat it too), then yes, you're going to need a level of genetics.

you are competing with people who go all in to qualify, you will, at minimum, have to match that commitment, unless you have genetic gifts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make that goal 6 years instead of 5. 45-49 is dramatically slower. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Average IMer to Kona possible with right training? [phil combs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would suspect most IM triathletes are not even close to their genetic limitations.

My guess is that if most MOP IMers would sacrifice all other aspects of their lives, train their asses off, and race well...they could achieve sub-10 over time.

Most Kona AGers aren't genetic freaks. They probably like to think they are...but by and large, they probably aren't when compared to a lot of MOPers. Think that's an easy excuse for people who don't qualify. A few might be, but for the most part, they make IM training/racing the focus of their life, train better (and a lot more) and race smarter and better than people who aren't making it.
Quote Reply
Re: Average IMer to Kona possible with right training? [funkman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Most Kona AGers aren't genetic freaks.

I don't think anyone is suggeting they are all freaks, but I would bet almost all of them fall clearly on the fast side of the genetic bell curve.

There was a thread a while back were qualifiers were recapping their road to qualification. Almost all the qualifiers did it within a year or 2 of taking the sports seriously. I think the guy that steadily improves for 5-10 years before qualifying is the exception, not the rule.

Thom

Last edited by: Thom: Mar 14, 11 11:11
Quote Reply

Prev Next