Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Augusta 70.3 [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have done it the last 2 yrs. an d wore a full sleeve both times. It is a "hot" wetsuit swim, I was beginning to feel really hot. My 27 min swim did make me feel like a real badass though. lol (not a fast swimmer) pm me if you have ?'s
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [jillian_o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jillian_o wrote:
As of right now there are 1,317 people registered, plenty of slots left

Gone. Facebook page says they are sold out. Hope everyone got in that wanted in.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, this is the earliest I remember seeing Augusta sell out.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [chrisfreemanca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, it's typically around August or late July. I was hoping to have my schedule figured out by the end of the month to register, but it doesn't matter now. Great race.

---------------------------------------------------
Oregon Ducks Custom Painted Jack Kane: http://kanebikes.com/...l-bike-galleries/787
http://www.kanebikes.com/ || Road & Triathlon Bicycles. Custom Painting. Carbon Repair. Restoration. HQ'd in North Carolina
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [kanebikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kanebikes wrote:
Great race.

Indeed. Better get on it early next year.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow,. I got lucky! Just signed up this week!
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [chrisfreemanca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisfreemanca wrote:

I'm sure the early sellout is related to the buzz surrounding last year's ideal race conditions. Even in the heat and sun, Augusta is still a desirable race, but last year was near perfect. Overcast with a slight mist and little wind made for fast times, and with 40 Vegas slots up for grabs, it makes sense that we saw more entrants this year.

I'm skipping it, though, and doing IM Louisville, which might make Augusta look like positively chilly by comparison from what I've heard. It's going to be a big heaping pile of suck, but I asked for it....

---------------------

"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you are right."
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [Hanktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Signed up yesterday! Glad I didn't wait.

http://www.researchms.org/trifest/
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [Sohan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck! I keep almost manning up for that race...
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [Hanktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well crap ... lol. I had it on the agenda, never thought it would sell out that fast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Pulled the trigger 2 weeks ago. Can't wait!!
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [Sohan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sohan wrote:
chrisfreemanca wrote:

I'm sure the early sellout is related to the buzz surrounding last year's ideal race conditions. Even in the heat and sun, Augusta is still a desirable race, but last year was near perfect. Overcast with a slight mist and little wind made for fast times, and with 40 Vegas slots up for grabs, it makes sense that we saw more entrants this year.

I'm skipping it, though, and doing IM Louisville, which might make Augusta look like positively chilly by comparison from what I've heard. It's going to be a big heaping pile of suck, but I asked for it....

Good luck at IM Lou. As a two time Louisville finisher, I bet you'll love it!!!! Even with the heat, etc. Awesome course with even better finish!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Augusta is a little over 40 days away.

I raced Augusta in its inaugural year, but as it was my first HIM, I don't recall too much about the experience. B/c I had no idea what I was doing, racing or training, it was mostly a blur. The thing I remember most about the course was that cramped hamstrings and quads hurt really bad.

Fast forward a few years and I have a slightly better idea of how to train and race.Can anyone provide a refresher of the bike course? What are the best sections to hammer? Where are you going to slow down b/c of bottlenecks or other obstacles (rough roud, sharp turns, windy section, etc.)? Most of that course is on good roads, right? The rollers aren't too bad, from what I do recall.

If there are any other things that stand out, list them here, too.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just off recollection of last year. 1st 15:pretty fast. Next 25: rollers, still fast but don't push to hard. Last 16: Super fast.

I think when your wave goes off also impacts your perception. 2 years ago it was warmer and I went off in the 1st wave. I seemed alone on the bike course but really threw down trying to hold a certain avg. Last year it was cooler and I went off in the next to last wave. I felt like the bike course was super crowded but got to slingshot the whole course and ended up with a bike split 1 mph faster than the previous year.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any knowledge of the River's current level? I heard it was pretty bad a few weeks back. This will be my first HIM and I'll be pissed if the swim is cancelled. I've had enough swims cancelled or shortened from conditions this year. You'd think I'd be happy... it's not like I excel at the swim or anything.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bad as in low? Or bad as in high? Wy would it be cancelled?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll let you know this weekend! Headed down to swim and ride the course on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [Rebcos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The river has been extremely high the past month. Currents were all over the place, and was closed for swimming. Its back open now, and should be good to go for the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gtjojo189 wrote:
Just off recollection of last year. 1st 15:pretty fast. Next 25: rollers, still fast but don't push to hard. Last 16: Super fast.

Yes, relatively flat the first 17 miles, rollers for the next 23 miles and then kinda downhill the last 16 miles. Last year I hammered the first and last segment, and just tried to keep it together in the middle.

I started in the 9th wave, and the bike was pretty crowded for the first 30 miles.

Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [RWankles8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RWankles8 wrote:
The river has been extremely high the past month. Currents were all over the place, and was closed for swimming. Its back open now, and should be good to go for the race.

Glad to hear it it. Hopefully the rain (so sick of the freaking rain) will stay reasonable and the river won't swell again. I did the Chattanooga Watefront (I realize it's a different river, but the SE has been crushed with rain this summer) in July and our swim was cancelled and the tri turned into a duathlon (grrrrrrr).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, you guys running discs at Augusta? Since it's a fast course, I would think this would be the way to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have before and was fine. It was in 2010 and wet conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rode the course this weekend with my pops. Nice organized ride, so traffic was a non issue. Here's my Garmin file if anyone's interested - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/365514935 . The river was still to high to swim. Check out the Tri Augusta FB page for updates on the river. Or here's the link to the USGS stats - http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?02197000 . Its at 16500 right now. Average is about 7000. Just to put it into perspective, at 16500 a 30 min 1.2 mi swimmer in the river (about 2:00/100 yd in normal conditions) would swim the course in under 20 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [RWankles8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How's road quality? I had watched the video of the guy driving the course, but it's old so....

Abell
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [abell103] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From Jackson to New Ellenton the road sucks. Everywhere else is fine.
Quote Reply

Prev Next