Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
August Swim Challenge
Quote | Reply
Post your workouts :-) goal is 4 swims a week.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: August Swim Challenge [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6.9 mi run 60:08
1500 yd swim

500 w/u
50 kick
100 fast 1:12
200 easy
50 kick
200 fast 2:29
400 swim
25 kick c/d

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy August Dr. TC!
Started off this AM with a 5 mile recovery run in 46 minutes, after my 'epic' Mt. Baldy ascent, where the downhill trashed my upper quads.
Followed that with a quick dip in the overheated & overloaded with chemicals Sloshbucket. Just 1100 yards as 1000 straight in the low 13s, then a 50 back and 50 breast. That was enough. I smell like I could jump in another pool right now and sanitize it. Ughhh, my eyes are burning and my skin is tightening!

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pool was set up for long course today, first time for me in the big pool in quite a while. Damn that thing is long....,

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: August Swim Challenge [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race in 8 days.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: August Swim Challenge [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2700 SCM this morning

300 choice
2 x 200 pull
3 x (
100 fast/200 T pace
100 IM
2x50 kick
100 IM)
200 CD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm jealous of your 50m

7.7 mi run w/ 4 mi progressive 8:00, 7:53, 7:47, 7:41, c/d
825 yd swim straight, short on time

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I participated in a birthday workout for one of my friends, who turned 58 yesterday.

Long course Meters

3 x 100 @ 1:50
7 x 100 @ 1:45
9 x 100 @ 1:40
7 x 100 @ 1:45
3 x 100 @ 1:50

:30 rest after this round, then repeat

5800m, 1:41 duration.

I held 1:28-:30 for all except the @ 1:50, when I went slower to warm up.

More impressive: the birthday girl, 58 years old, made the entire set.
Quote Reply
Re: August Swim Challenge [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A light morning...
200 easy
6x50 fins...
Odd swim free @ 45
Even dolphin kick @ 60
16x50 @ 50 holding 32.8 or better (mile prep)
100 easy
1400 SCM

Raced ITU sprint on Saturday
Sunday was 2500 with some mile pace
Monday was 2700 with stroke work and Non Free fast 25s. 10x50 @ 55 400 Free pace.
Tuesday was a quick bit of dryland and 1200 with 2 rounds of 8x25s fast (broken 2IM)

Quote Reply
Re: August Swim Challenge [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How'd you do in the race?

8.5 mi run 1:15:24
725 yd swim (straight, kick the last 25)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
9th / ~90 and 2nd in 40-44

Swim meet in a week. Have 400 & 1500m Fr and 200m IM (LCM).

Last edited by: realAB: Aug 3, 17 13:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Pool was set up for long course today, first time for me in the big pool in quite a while. Damn that thing is long....,

Hey, I really enjoyed swimming in the Pan Am Pool in Toronto last week.

This month I am going to try to get my breast stroke fast. I think I am finally getting it and finally I can keep up with the guys in the "medium" lane while doing breast during my IM sets.

I had two ultimate compliments this week which kind of suggest that my DNA has officially transformed from Cheetah to Dolphin:

1. 2 days ago, 15 year old superstar girl, cranking off Olympian speed (or at least on that trajectory) sets in the fast lane with me says, "What's your swim event and which club do you race for?"
  2. Today at the outdoor pool, 60 year old woman who raced at the national level in the 70's says, "wow your butterfly stroke is really beautiful, it looks pretty effortless !!!"

Ok, that has to be the first time in my life that REAL SWIMMERS, confuse me for an actual swimmer, vs some runner/cyclist/triathlon hack floundering around in the pool.

I did a quick calculation and I have covered 2000K of swimming since Nov 2015 when I really got into doing a ton of swimming when I could not walk-run-bike. That seems around right to get to the point of being confused with a real swimmer. 2000K is around 6000 hours. 4000 hours of swimming to go to get to 10,000 hours at which point I should be at the point of being proficient in this very complicated sport. This has been the hardest sport for me to get half proficient at.....baseball, track, soccer, speed skating, cross country skiing, cricket, hockey, tennis, downhill skiing, gymnastics....pretty well any sport on hard land, when I was a kid I would just pick up a sport and get half decently proficient (to the point that I looked like someone who knows what they are doing in those sports) in short order.

Swimming is another story. It has been an endlessly frustrating endeavor of floundering terribly for 30 years and they floundering "less" in the last 1.5 years to the point that in the last 6-9 months I feel like I am not really floundering and actually could be confused with someone who is a real swimmer.

But it took NOT BEING ABLE TO WALK, to tip me over to really swim, because at that point, it was the only thing I had. Now it is the only thing I want on a daily basis.
Quote Reply
Re: August Swim Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

1. Quote:
    2 days ago, 15 year old superstar girl, cranking off Olympian speed (or at least on that trajectory) sets in the fast lane with me says, "What's your swim event and which club do you race for?"

That's both awesome and hilarious. Surely you don't look that young ;-) Were you wearing a cap?

5.5 mi easy run 49:57
4000 yd swim

5 x 100 on 1:30
50 kick
200 fast 2:27
3 x 100 on 1:30
50 kick
2 x 200 fast on 4:00 2:25, 2:26
50 kick
3 x 200 fast on 4:00 2:26, 2:27, 2:29
50 kick
500 swim
700 continuous as 50 k/ 50 sw/ 50k/ 100 sw / 50 k/ 150 sw / 50 k / 200 sw

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Managed to swim 2k yesterday.

2x (300 swim, 300 fins kick down swim back, 300 pull paddles/buoy/band, 100 easy bk stroke)
Quote Reply
Re: August Swim Challenge [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just asked EricTheBiking to add an August swim challenge to the training log!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in!
8/2
Morning swim at Shaw's - 2,245yd in 36 minutes. No wetsuit, water a refreshing 68 degrees
Lunch Run - really short 1.7 miles in 13 minutes and 90 in both temp and humidity
Late afternoon swim at Shaw's practicing SwimRun with partner in kit - 1157 yd in 25 minutes

8/3
Morning swim at Shaw's - 2259 yd in 39 minutes. Still sub-70, no wetsuit
Lunch Ride - 12.6 miles in 42 minutes, again 90/90 weather. (I shouldn't have done this as it trashed my evening's race)
Afternoon Coveathlon run warmup - 0.7 miles in 7:46
Evening Coveathlon swim - 1364 yards (overstated) in 12:54 (I can't go THAT fast!) it was probably under 1000 yards - GPS errors
Evening Coveathlon run - 3 miles in 24:29. My legs gave out in the last mile - that darn bike ride! I've done this in low-mid 22s
Nevertheless, I was first again in my AG, of maybe 3 or 4. And I was first in my AG for the series of 6 races.

Now will be taking it easy, sort of, with Casco Bay SwimRun coming up next weekend. I'll be in your neck of the woods, TC.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

1. Quote:
    2 days ago, 15 year old superstar girl, cranking off Olympian speed (or at least on that trajectory) sets in the fast lane with me says, "What's your swim event and which club do you race for?"

That's both awesome and hilarious. Surely you don't look that young ;-) Were you wearing a cap?

While I was wearing a cap and I am smaller than most 15 year olds, and my core and shoulders are probably more "cut" than most 15 year olds, it was probably fairly clear that I am an "adult" so she probably just assumed I was another masters hack trying to relive my swim glory days, when in reality, I have zero swim glory days to relive!

Today's swim was terrible. I was over at the physio for some dry needling to see if we can break through some scar tissue and my entire chain from my left glute down to my foot was sore and floppy and I felt completely out of symmetry (even more so than normal).

I am sure many of you have those days when your body is tight and things won't get into a proper glide phase....just could not relax and felt bunched up.
Quote Reply
Re: August Swim Challenge [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Now will be taking it easy, sort of, with Casco Bay SwimRun coming up next weekend. I'll be in your neck of the woods, TC.

Enjoy. I'm in Oklahoma for work... will be home on Xmas break :P

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a really nice swim this AM, from Oak Street, around Bird Rock and back. I got to Bird rock when a set came through. The waves crash around the rock and rejoin on the backside making for some turbulence and surge in just a few feet of water with a rocky bottom. A bit scary, but got past that and headed back. I held a good, but sustainable pace in 68 degree water and no wetsuit. 4190 yards in 55:50.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran a 10k in 49:34 (had some tummy issues - went through the half in 23:03 and it was a two-loop course), and swam for 50 minutes at the local outdoor pool. The website claims 50m. It is not 50m. It might be 25 m; my arms were heavy from yesterday's swim so I couldn't really tell. Nice to swim outside.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yesterday 60 km bike

today 10 mi run: splits by 3 mi 25:22, 24:55, 24:32 (last mile c/d 8:30)
1025 yd swim

arms stiff from bike...
5 x 100 on 1:35
100 kick
100 fast 1:13
100 easy
200 as 75 drill/25 swim
25 kick

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sunday swim - Shaw's Cove to a little past EB2, almost to Emerald Point, but I had an 8:30 breakfast meeting with two of my Maui Channel Swim temamates, so I turned back earlier than I was planning. 4198 yards in 59 minutes. I was about 10 minutes late to breakfast, regardless... oh well.

This morning, back into the SCY pool:
w/u 300s/100brk/300s
6x50@1:00 IM order
10x100 kwf fl/bk/fr
400p
10x50@:50 smf
2x100 s/k
300 swf ez

3400 sc yardages in 54 minutes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7.6 mi run w/ 40 min @ 7:47 pace
2225 yd swim

1000 w/u
50 kick
10 x 100 on 1:30, some of them 50 fast/50 easy
125 kick
50 swim c/d

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7.5 mi run 64:02
2650 yd swim

w/u and c/d were each 5 x 100 on 1:30
main set was 100, 200, 2 x 100 fast w/ easy stuff between them. 1:10, 2:26, 1:11, 1:11

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4 x 800 as:

4x200 build easy to firm each set, :30 RI
8x100 with deck-up after each 100
2x400 pull, :60 RI
8x100 hard, :05-:07 RI

3200scy, 1:01:00

ROTS hilly but slow 5mile jog

—Mr. Hand