Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: August Fish thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WU: 4x100 drills

MS: 2x {5x200 @4:00 (30s)} (1:00)

CD: 100ez

8.5 mile run.

Hot out for the run. Did 7 miles outside. Finished the last 1.5 miles on the treadmill.
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok I closed today's workout with a set of "Modified IM".....5x200m as 50 fly-25 back-25 breast-100 free. I had also done a 400 IM steady before my main set as well as an easy 200 IM.

So I was walking around the house and my upper body felt really heavy. At which point i realized that I had done 900m of fly of which 500m was trying to sprint. Yikes no wonder I can't keep my core straight or left my arms above my shoulders.

Next week I hope to do this workout:

• 100 IM
  • 50 fly
  • 200 IM
  • 100 fly
  • 400 IM
  • 200 fly
  • 800 IM

That workout has 1500m of IM plus 350m of fly on top. Not sure what order I will do it in. I think it would be best to open with the 800 IM and get that out of the way when fresh!

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been swimming as much as I can since my back is so eff’d up and I can’t run. I can’t hardly walk with my left side hip stabilizers barely firing. I’m slated for multilevel lumbar fusion on the 11th, pending insurance approval — that’s been a big PITA!
Anyway, a few local triathlon teams gathered for a 3 mile point-to-point swim. Some 45 people showed up, including a few pure swimmers (guess who lead the swim.) Not a race, but you know how we all roll. I was 4th, behind two women, one in just a suit and the other in a wetsuit and paddles. Then, one other dude in just a speedo. The three of them were much faster than me, but I took a closer to shore route which kept me out of the opposing current. So I finished just 20 yards behind them. It took a good 10 minutes for the next swimmer to show.
While they were all done, I replenished with water and gels and then swam back for a total of 10,000 yards. The return swim wasn’t nearly as fast! 3:09.
Time to relax, taper for my upcoming final swims of the year (surgery will keep me out for some time), Waikiki Roughwater and Maui Channel Relay.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Steve, I was going to ask you if you were still doing the Maui relay, guess that will be your end of the season?? Did you guys eventually get a good team together?Hopefully you got a few young guns so that you dont have to be the fastest on the team at 62!!

I'm thinking about maybe Tiki swim again, will evaluate closer to race day, maybe try and get in another race somewhere close too.

10k of swimming, at least you will have a nice base going into your surgery, good luck with all that, and get well soon....
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Monty - we’re going mixed. My gf, Heidi, is on the team. She’s a :56 freestyler. Another girl, Elsa, swam a :59 backstroke & a :58 fly in 2013. I don’t know the other’s credentials. I think we’ll do good.
I transferred my Tiki Swim entry to Heidi. She won a Tiki a few years back. About time she gets another. We also entered the La Jolla 10 Mile Relay, just the two of us (Team name: 2 4 10). I found a replacement for me. She’s not as fast, but loves IPAs like we do. So the post swim recovery should be fun!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
I’ve been swimming as much as I can since my back is so eff’d up and I can’t run. I can’t hardly walk with my left side hip stabilizers barely firing. I’m slated for multilevel lumbar fusion on the 11th, pending insurance approval — that’s been a big PITA!
Anyway, a few local triathlon teams gathered for a 3 mile point-to-point swim. Some 45 people showed up, including a few pure swimmers (guess who lead the swim.) Not a race, but you know how we all roll. I was 4th, behind two women, one in just a suit and the other in a wetsuit and paddles. Then, one other dude in just a speedo. The three of them were much faster than me, but I took a closer to shore route which kept me out of the opposing current. So I finished just 20 yards behind them. It took a good 10 minutes for the next swimmer to show.
While they were all done, I replenished with water and gels and then swam back for a total of 10,000 yards. The return swim wasn’t nearly as fast! 3:09.
Time to relax, taper for my upcoming final swims of the year (surgery will keep me out for some time), Waikiki Roughwater and Maui Channel Relay.

Hey Halfspeed, what's the multi level lumbar fusion and how long is the recovery. One of my friends had it done and it seems like it is 6 months. My doctor is recommending that I go down to the US and have the laser spine surgery done at my L4/5 and L5/S1 as that is the part of mine that is messed up and we can't do the laser spine surgery here in Canada as it counts as "experimental".I am supposed to have a nerve root block done this fall (on a waiting list) and see what happens from that and then decide on the surgery maybe this winter...let's see.

That's an awesome round trip 10,000 yard swim!

I just looked at the Maui Channel relay description. That looks awesome! Best of luck with the surgery!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sunday
40.3 mi bike

Monday
10k run fartlek w/ 2.37 mi @ 8:13, 1 mi @ 7:57, 2 x 1 km @ 7:53 pace

475 yd swim:

3 x 100 on 1:30
150 on 2:00
25 kick c/d

workout time shortened this AM due to a headache that kept me in bed for longer than I'd planned.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sprint Tri yesterday(600m swim, 11mi bike, 5k run). Swim split was 7:24. Fastest split by 34s. Next fastest swimmer was Ricky Berens, who was doing a relay.

-----
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish thread [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well done!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yesterday 6.2 mi run w/ 1 mi 7:57 and 2 x 1 km @ 7:53 pace, 475 yd swim (all I had time for)
today 8 mi run w/ 1.9 mi + 3.1 mi @ 8:34 + 1.6 mi @ 8:27, 1175 yd swim

swim was
6 x 100 on 1:35
50 kick
2 x 100 on 1:30
50 kick
100 free
100 sidestroke
75 kick

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you’re the right candidate, that laser spine surgery is the bomb, I’ve been told. I’m having bolts and rods fusing L2–L5. My spine is crushed, rotated and arcing to one side; scoliosis & what happens from that as an athlete that’s aging. I’ve lost a couple inches in height, as well.
My surgeon said it’s a 3-4 hour procedure, 3 days in the hospital and 3 weeks of recovery. I doubt though, that his definition of recovery is hitting the trails running.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
If you’re the right candidate, that laser spine surgery is the bomb, I’ve been told. I’m having bolts and rods fusing L2–L5. My spine is crushed, rotated and arcing to one side; scoliosis & what happens from that as an athlete that’s aging. I’ve lost a couple inches in height, as well.
My surgeon said it’s a 3-4 hour procedure, 3 days in the hospital and 3 weeks of recovery. I doubt though, that his definition of recovery is hitting the trails running.

OK thanks for the update....I thought the recovery from fusion was more like 3-6 months. Aparently I am good candidate for laser spine according to multiple sources.

Enough of the crying and back to the fish thread.

I think I "officially qualify as a SWIMMER"

Today, I arrived at the pool with 30 minutes left.....hmmmm what workout can i do in 30 minutes. I know, 12 minute warmup and then 1000m of 50/50 fly x 10 and beat the pool cut off time.

So, I just built into things kind of taking it "easy for the first 300m (well as easy as continuous fly-free can get), then built up from there tot 700m and then opened up the tank for the last 300m. I beat the lane swim cut off, but I don't know how close to 1 pm they removed the lane lines, but it was close to 18 minutes.

After that 30 minutes doing IM leg sets of widths of the pool with kids jumping all over the place to round out the 30 min swim

But I THINK if I can do a 1000m fly-free whenever I want "just because" then I finally qualify in the fish group and I am not exclusively a flounder ex triathlete any more.

Lifetime fishies, please vote if this qualifies for formal ST endorsement (I would put this in the same category of the ST FTP dick swinging 4.5W per kilo cutoff for being ST approved and I never made that....was always around 0.7 to 0.25W per kilo off at my best)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
90 minutes OWS yesterday (66/18 degree water, 53/11 air). 5k

60 minutes, same lake, same temps. 3.6k

These were my last two swims in Colorado, since I am moving east today. Colorado was great, and the altitude is great for the training. When I get to sea-level for swim meets, watch out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. You’re a fish.
Here’s pics of my spine

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Today, I arrived at the pool with 30 minutes left.....hmmmm what workout can i do in 30 minutes. I know, 12 minute warmup and then 1000m of 50/50 fly x 10 and beat the pool cut off time.

I do some of my fastest swimming (and running for that matter) when I'm time limited. Speaking of which, 675 yards with 3 x 100 fast (1:15, 1:15, 1:14) today after a 10 mi run (95:10).

Quote:
But I THINK if I can do a 1000m fly-free whenever I want "just because" then I finally qualify in the fish group and I am not exclusively a flounder ex triathlete any more.
I will second HS's endorsement.

Quote Reply
Re: August Fish thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6.3 mi run (1.63 @ 8:34, 1.07 @ 8:27, 2 @ 8:20)
2025 yd swim

took me a bit to get foot cramps to stop in the water
300 swim
50 swim
50 kick
2 x 100 on 1:35
75 swim + 25 kick
3 x 100 on 1:30
50 kick
100 swim, 50 kick, 150 swim, 50 kick, 100 swim, 50 kick
3 x [100 fast + 50 kick] 1:16, 1:15, 1:15
25 kick c/d

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2.4 mi walk
3325 yd swim

20 x 100 on 1:30 desc 1:25 to 1:18
50 kick
50 fast :35
6 x [50 kick + 100 fast] four 1:14s, then 1:15, 1:16
50 kick
250 swim
25 sidestroke c/d

total yards for Aug: 23,425

Quote Reply

Prev Next