Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: August Fish thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was warmed up by the time I got to the first 1000 snorkel. Lately, my first few minutes have been really slow.

I didn't have much nutrition with me, just a banana a a Nature Valley granola bar. I probably could have raided the unopened and leftover Coke cans left at the pool, as I did last week during my 9200m pool swim.
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pool was closed this past week for annual shutdown. I flew from ME to OK on Thursday, so now I'm back at the school pool - which was closed yesterday due to lack of lifeguards.

7.7 mi today with some speed, then 1125 yd swim

10 x 100 on 1:30
125 kick

felt good to be back in the water.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish thread [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is certainly a different experience swimming in this pool, other than just the weird between length:

1. It's fed by a spring/river, so the water is cold (67-72) all the time
2. It's actually a 2-pool system, one is just for recreation and the other has about 10 lanes for lap swimming with another section for recreation in the deepest end. One of the pools is drained and refilled each day (and just by looking at which is greener you can usually tell which water is two days old).
3. the walls are angled down to the bottom, so until you know and adjust to that, you end up coming off the wall funny and break the surface way sooner than normal.
4. it's a public pool, so you get a lot of folks that aren't used to proper swim etiquette. for example, there are usually 3-4 lanes with yellow signs at the end marking them as 'circle swim lanes'. The rest are supposed to be two to a lane. unless of course you're in a group doing a shared workout where circle swimming is appropriate. But you end up with people who will just jump in a lane and start swimming-- in fact this happened to me during this session, some dude jumped into my lane, had no goggles on, and lucky for me the old European lady I was sharing a lane with (who was doing a lot of kicking with fins on her back) did not want anything to do with circle swimming and so we explained he needed to pick another lane, and to try and get the attention of everyone in a lane before just jumping in. Anyway, I am sure many clones from the 'denizens of the pool' thread could be found here regularly since it's also one of those 'keep Austin weird' places.

I am not sure how long this pool will last in its current state. I think they closed for a month over the winter to fix a bunch of leaks, but it is a semi-historical landmark, so they will probably just keep throwing money at it to fix rather than a complete refab of the pool.

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was warmed up by the time I got to the first 1000 snorkel. Lately, my first few minutes have been really slow. //

I think you and I are alike in that regard, just get in and start a set. Warm up is the first stokes of whatever set we choose. Sometimes it is 300, or 500, but by then, it is into the descending of the workout. That's the one thing I hate about masters when I rarely get to swim them, these 20 minute warm ups with drills, and all kinds of odd stuff. Even then I usually pick a set to begin with and try and do it around all the lily pads in the lane for those minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
lily pads

*snort*
hilarious

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6.6 mi easy 60:41
2075 yd swim

arms kinda heavy (I blame cycling Sat.)
5 x 100 on 1:35
50 kick
4 x 150 on 2:25
50 kick
3 x 100 on 1:30
50 kick
2 x 150 on 2:20
50 kick
1 x 100 (1:20)
50 kick
25 c/d

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to hear youre back swimming, and it appears swimming well! that is great to hear.
Ill have to poke around for the deets on what happened to you, but glad youre on the mend.
Ive been in the weeds here but signed up for the "ROUND THE SOUND" in Bermuda in october.
10k open water. Did it a few years ago. Literally in the 3 days between hurricanes... fingers crossed we dont get washed out.
Time to ramp up the swim training. Its been a good few weeks.
Last week managed a 3:11 for 300yd swim from a push at the end of a set. And have had 3 good weeks near 20k per ... not massive but if I can manage 6 more weeks of that, i should be fine.
Todays main set:

75 swim on 1:00
25 kick alt 10 kicks all out 10 ez on :35
100 on 1:30 form focus
100 on 1:20 building effort
Do this 10times through.
Managed 1:10s on the form 100s and slowly dec the building 100s from 106 to 1:00 on the last round.

This is all SCY.
daved
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7.5 mi run fartlek
1.43, 1.57, 2.05 @ 8:06/mi some easy tenths between them
1 in 7:56

1025 yd swim straight, mixed in some kicking. Arms finally felt un-stiff :-)

Quote Reply
Re: August Fish thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Missed my swim yesterday. Got back late from the funeral. Going to bed at 1am is not conducive to getting up and swimming at 5am. Today....

WU: 3x100 drills

MS: 27x100 usrpt @ 1:43: failed at #14, #22, #27

CD: 200ez
-------------

3000scy

Felt off today. Last week I did this set about 2 seconds faster per 100y. I haven't swum since Saturday morning. Sometimes two days off doesn't agree with me. Plus, two days of late night air travel, maybe. Dunno. Just felt slow, and kinda fatigued quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just surfed the past couple days, so decided to redo a big set I did awhile back;

Oh ya, had this adventure on one of these surfing days too;

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread

8x500- 1 swim@7;30(7;07)3 pull@7;00(6;28/22/19) I IM kick@9;30(9;18)1 pull@7;00(6;18) 1 im kick@(9;30) actual 10;15(9;25)1 pull(6;53)
4000SCY in 1;03

was on track to beat the old times, but the kicks were harder and then I figured why, the last time was in a real pool with lane lines, this one in a bumpy club pool where my kick was really slowed down, had to hustle the kicks too much on this ..
Last edited by: monty: Aug 21, 18 18:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I'm with the early morning open water crew, I start very slow. I'm like a diesel or a steam locomotive in that I take a while to get warmed up and chugging along. Today for the 1:45 in the lake, I started out about 25-30m behind, and i just stayed there the whole time. We swam pre-sunrise, with flashlights stuffed into safety buoys or into bike bottles and duct-taped to the buoys. To any passing cars, we must have looked like jack-o-lanterns swimming across the dark surface.

During the last 35 minutes or so, the wind really picked up and the temperature dropped significantly. Getting dried and into clothes hardly warmed anyone up at all. I spent much of the day still trying to get warm.

1:45 OWS. Uncertain as to distance, but someone's watch read 3.67 miles. That last bit with the wind really slowed us down.

I'm not sue if I will go again tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 months since being run over by the bus (was run over 22 June)

Main set

• 400IM as 4x100IM order, no rest between 100's
  • 200m dolphin kick with flutter board
  • 1000m as (50fly-50free) x 10 took the fly hard, and free moderate
  • 200m dolphin kick with fins
  • 400IM

When I was in the ambulance I honestly did not think I would even get to use my right arm again. It had been completely flattened from below shoulder to finger tips by the rear two wheels.

Right now I am timing nothing. Just trying to do things through the full range. I'm almost back to full speed in bits and spurts, but can't sustain pushing hard too long. That should come back in time.

In the gym today, I was able to hang from a chin up bar doing 20 leg lifts. First time I have tested using my recovering arm for that degree of loading!

So today was a good milestone day. 3 more weeks before I am in London England and I plan to swim at the Olympic pool and do the following "personal swim meet" LCM:

• 50 fly
  • 100 fly
  • 200 fly
  • 200 IM
  • 400 IM
  • 400 free

I MAY also try a 1500 free if I feel encouraged but probably now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
glad your arm is coming along, Dev.

8.3 mi 76:10 easy pace
1025 yd swim straight, mixed some kicking in

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
donated blood yesterday, kinda out of it today. 4.2 mi easy run and 1175 yd swim. Pool clock was dead so it was a straight swim with some kicking.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh my dev... that sounds just awful
Recovery seems to be really happening for you. Best of luck with that.
Im sure your life of good health and general happiness has helped!

all the best,
daved
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 x 200 as 100 free, 100 back
200 snorkel
12 x 100 @ 1:50, faster than 5000m pace. 1:16, 1:15, alternating :14-:15 for the rest
4 x 150 w/fins, 100 kick, 50 sprint, alternating back and free
600 swim down

3200m long course
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Legs were wrecked today, so it was a pull set

5X500 pull on 7:00 (6:33, 6:32,6:30, 6:34, 6:39)
100 EZ

2600y in 38 min.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish thread [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats almost the same set I did a few days ago, only with an extra couple kicking and one swimming. I blew on the 8th one..

Last two days I have just done an 800 swim straight as part of the 50/50 sprint triathlon challenge. Doing my swim last too, so just easing through them. 11;55 and 11;30. Plan to do the swim first later on and do some intense 800 interval type swims. Maybe 8x100IM or things like that to break it up...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish thread [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vendt is probably still tired from that infamous 30 x 1000 set...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
Vendt is probably still tired from that infamous 30 x 1000 set...

FFS! I'm tired from my 30x100(no extra zero).

USRPT today.

WU: 3x100 drills

MS:
22x100 usrpt @ 1:42: failed at #17 and double fail at #22.
8 x 100 on 2:05

CD: 100ez
----------------
3300 scy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6.5 mi easy run 1:01:32
1775 yd swim, felt really good after about 500 yds

8 x 100 on 1:30
50 kick
6 x [100 fast + 50 kick] 1:15, 1:14, 1:13, 1:13 high, 1:14, 1:14
25 c/d

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a steady workout today, taking a break from the sprint challenge;

2x(5x100, 3swim@1;40, 1breast@1;50, 1IM kick@2;10) swims(1;26 to 1;23) buoys(1;22 to 1;21)breast(1;38/1;33) kicks(1;55/1;51)
1000pull@13;30(12;33--6;18/6;15 splits)
5x100 IM kick@2;00(1;52's)
6x50@1;05 odds stroke(fly 36/36 breast 42) buoys(39/38)
2800SCY

Yesterday another straight 800SCY in challenge at end; 11;16
Last edited by: monty: Aug 25, 18 10:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
12 mi run 1:46:05
1075 yd straight swim mix swim and kick. Stroke felt really good.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for not posting on here for a while.

Here was my main set during 4500m swim todaya

2x500

each 500 was 10x(25 fly sprint, 25m backstroke recovery). The first 500m the backstroke was kick on back streamline only. The second 500m was full stroke. It was a good opportunity to practice fly to back turns too. I was trying to come out around 2-2.5 m past the flags (so around 7-7.5m). I think I will try this workout later where I try to dolphin kick on my back further and see if I can get closer to the 10m mark. I thinik Jason was sayinig that for the 100 IM you want to dolphin kick under water after the dive as long as possible for the fly leg and breath all the fly strokes and then kick on back underwater as far as possible....of course this means you are actually moving fast while dolphin kicking under water!
Quote Reply

Prev Next