Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
August Fish Thread
Quote | Reply
Post 'em!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5.2 mi run, 1375 yd swim, 13.8 mi bike

550 w/u (kick the last 50)
8 x 100 on 1:25
25 kick c/d

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Aug 3, 19 8:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About time!!!

August 1

500 warmup SKPKScull

Main set
5 x100 @1:30 even pace
50 kick ez
4x100 IM @1:45
50 kick
3x100 @1:30 - 2 mod 1 fast (1:10)
50 ez
2x100 IM @2:00
50 ez
100 fast (1:07)

200 ez warmdown
2400m total

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3.1k open water swim yesterday. Flat water early in the morning with almost no current is a great way to start the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6.2 mi run, 1375 yd swim

5 x 100 on 1:30, extra :30 after the last one
3 x [200 fast + 50 kick] 2:32, 2:30, 2:30
125 c/d

Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
3.1k open water swim yesterday. Flat water early in the morning with almost no current is a great way to start the day.

Today's workout

1x 12 km motorboat ride to the far end of Lac Tremblant
1x 12 km swim back to Mont Tremblant Beach

3rd in M 50-54
1:37 first 6 km
1:36 second 6 km
3:33 overall

YEAH, I NEGATIVE SPLIT THE LONGEST SWIM OF MY LIFE

Note to self....next time you swim a 12 km race in wetsuit it would be a good idea to do more than 5 shorter swims in a wetsuit. The real reason I negative split is my shoulders were dying 4 km and I I had to back off from 4km to 8 km to make sure I had upper body left to survive the last 4 km. Once I was at the equivalent of an Ironman swim, I knew I could open up the tank.
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big swim, great job Dev!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a weekend!
Saturday – 1 mile Don Burns in Corona Del Mar. Really pushed it a got second in my AG; 12 OA & 10th male. Super happy as I held a 1:12 pace (100 yards)
Sunday, for the first time, Dwight Crum Pier 2 Pier – a 2 mile swim with like 1300 swimmers. A little nuts, but perfect conditions and a found feet and stuck to them mostly the whole way. Fast old dudes here, though, so I only placed 5th. Held a 1:19 pace. Not sure Don Burns fatigue would have made a difference. Fun race, though.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great work; that's speedy!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
Big swim, great job Dev!

How is training for the Olympic tri in Summerside? I may be there in 2.5 weeks for work.
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:
Big swim, great job Dev!

How is training for the Olympic tri in Summerside? I may be there in 2.5 weeks for work.

I'm doing the aquabike as a qualifier for itu worlds. Are you there when the race is happening?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think so. I would likely be there after the race is over!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sunday, for the first time, Dwight Crum Pier 2 Pier – a 2 mile swim with like 1300 swimmers. A little nuts, but perfect conditions and a found feet and stuck to them mostly the whole way. Fast old dudes here, though, so I only placed 5th. Held a 1:19 pace. Not sure Don Burns fatigue would have made a difference. Fun race, though.

Ha Steve, I was there too! I have no idea how I did though, had a bike locked at the finishing pier, and jetted back to my truck, then back home to the desert. I have only been able to do 1/2 the distance of the race a few times in workouts this week, coming off another bloc of weeks off again. But after the mass start chaos, I settled in and think I was like 49 minutes or so on my watch. Don't really know where that got me, did you see results? I don't see them online at all, but you are right, so really fast guys in the 60+ show up for this thing now. I was 10th last year with a lackluster swim, but I'm never 10th in anything when it comes to age groups. I was hoping I did a bit better this year, but if you were 5th, then maybe it will be touch and go again for that top 10 again...

Good job on the weekend double, as I say every year, next year I'm gonna really get in shape for this dam swim!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did see your name, Monty, and I looked around for you. I think you were 7th, 8th or 9th in just over 50. I hit a 46 something and happy to beat Bill Ireland (yesterday & today!)
The start wasn’t as chaotic as I expected. I think because that first buoy isn’t really much of a turn. But, man did we have a big set of waves at the start. I loved it!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the recap, I will wait to see the final results. And not really a big set, but the biggest the ocean had on offer today. I got to the end of the pier around 20th or so, I still got that going for me, but then it was cruise control to the finish. I'm pretty knackered right now, 50 minutes of straight swimming has not been done by me, since last years race!!

Your daily ocean swims are paying off it looks like, really two different animals the pool and ocean..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So results are up, and I did go a mid 49, less than 3 minutes behind you, look out bro!! You were right though, I got 9th in the AG, so I suppose an improvement on last year, especially since some of you studs came out of nowhere.

http://raceresults.eternaltiming.com/...+Individual%7EM60-64
Last edited by: monty: Aug 4, 19 17:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And I just saw the guy that out touched me for 8th, Lance Halstead. That guy used to win this swim overall back in the day, probably won it 4 or 5 times at least. The old studs are coming back to us Steve, we just have to outlive them!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you say you did 1;19 pace, I presume that is with some good water measuring device? The results have you at 1;27 pace, and me over 1;30's, was thinking maybe they are not measuring their course very well? it sure felt faster than 1;30's for all that time..
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1:19 pace was from my watch. It clocked 3530 yards (spot on 2 miles) in 46:36. I know it’s not gonna match their results. No idea what they measured their course as.
Can’t trust those chip timers anyway... Yesterday at Don Burns, Heidi saw me cross the pad with their big clock showing 19 something. My watch said 20:15 (1684 yards), and results have me at 21:03. Go figure!

Hey, our La Jolla 10 mile relay team is complete. I think we’re gonna do good down there!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Main set SCY:

10 x 50's hard with :20 rest
12 x 25's all out with :20 rest

(If I were in better shape or had more time, I could see drills followed by a repeat of this set as a solid 1 hr workout)
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [apmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Main set scy:

300 time trial
long rest
200 on TT pace
2 min rest
150 on TT pace
1 min rest
100 on TT pace
30 sec rest
50 on TT pace
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [apmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats to the great swims done in SoCal and Canada. You guys inspire me!

SCY
2000S (27:31)
4x100K on 2:30
6x100P on 1:30 (1:13-15)
6x50S on 50 (37-8)
4x25BK on 30 (19s)
100 cool down
3500 total
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [PowerPlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Open water swim at Long Lake yesterday. Nice relaxing swim with the tri-club, per usual MO stopped to regroup at the buoys every 250m or so. I was exhausted after camping with a group of 3 families including us over the long weekend. 8 kids under the age of 10 for 3 days. I decided to cut it short after 1 loop (900m).

There was a little bit of chop, not much but enough that you could feel it.

Wore the garmin for the swim, it's friggin' useless. I did not have a maximum pace of :49s per 100m during my easy-moderate open water swim...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin needs to go under your swim cap if you want any sort of useful data.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll try that next time. Otherwise I'm just gonna go back to a timex. I don't need it to know the distance (course is close enough to 900m long). 2 loops for a HIM swim, 4 for a full...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next