Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Athlete Exercise and Nutrition Survey
Quote | Reply
Hi fellow Triathletes....

I have a short survey as part of my dissertation research on exercise and nutrition in athletes. I would love for you to take the survey and also share out with your network of athletic friends as I need a large and diverse sample size... running groups, cycling groups, tri friends, etc. I need all levels, ages, sports etc. Thank you in advance!

PARTICIPANTS NEEDED FOR ATHLETE EXERCISE AND NUTRITION SURVEY
We are looking for volunteers to take part in a survey on nutrition and exercise habits of athletes. Your participation is anonymous, entirely voluntary and will take approximately 10 minutes of your time.

By participating in this study you will help us collect information on the nutrition and exercise habits of athletes.

Respondent feedback will be used to develop a research focus to study the impacts of nutrition on exercise performance.
To participate, please click link https://ncsu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cvDYno2mJHiUgq9
Quote Reply
Re: Athlete Exercise and Nutrition Survey [reneeharrington] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi - what a cool study to get to do!
There's a recurrent typo you might want to fix - regime should be regimen.
Please share your dissertation when it's done :)

http://www.extramilenutrition.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would love to know the results of this study. What method of analysis are you using?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool survey. Looks legit.

Can't tell you how many times I've seen "help me on my research" on a message board and they don't have an informed consent form and their survey is so poorly designed that it's likely useless.

One minor point: one of the diet choices was paleo/high protein. Was that choice paleo or high protein or paleo with high protein? I definitely eat high protein but not at all paleo. I aim (and miss) more at a bodybuilderish type high protein diet.

Also, was interested in the section where we assessed our knowledge of amino acids, for example. I know a lot about amino acids and what I know is that they don't do anything, so I don't take them. Ditto for multivitamins. I think there was a followup on whether you take vitamins, but I don't recall one on amino acids. Curious on what you'll do with the knowledge assessment without knowing if someone is for or against what they know or don't know about.

Again, pretty cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Completed. Thanks for posting and good luck with the research.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done. What's the title/objective of your research?
Quote Reply
Re: Athlete Exercise and Nutrition Survey [greenjp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for alerting me to the typo. I fixed it! And yes will share the results when done!
Quote Reply
Re: Athlete Exercise and Nutrition Survey [Arturner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes will be sharing the results when finished. For the survey I will be doing stats to characterize the study population. That is part 1 or the pre-study to what my actual research study will be focusing on.
Quote Reply
Re: Athlete Exercise and Nutrition Survey [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a pilot survey to refine the questions and focus for this so I appreciate the positive feedback. Good point about grouping the Paleo/High Protein together. In retrospect perhaps I should not have or clarified. It was supposed to be an "or" and not "and". Compared to the standard american diet Paleo tends to be higher in protein and healthful fats, which is why I put high protein with that. As you mentioned someone could eat a high protein diet but not follow a paleo diet. I'll take a look back at that second you mentioned with the "assess your knowledge"
Quote Reply
Re: Athlete Exercise and Nutrition Survey [erik+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Athlete Exercise and Nutrition Survey [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm intending that this survey will narrow the focus more. This is the additional part I am doing to the actual research and will help provide basis for the research question. As an overall, I want to look at nutrition requirements for optimal performance in athletes (I'm still working to decide what specific athletic population and what specific nutritional aspect. I am trying to determine whether it's recovery focused on the nutrition needs prior to exercise). I will be doing performance testing in both strength and cardiovascular measures. So in all honesty, I'm still trying to work out the fine details for the study.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
filled out! good luck on the paper.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Athlete Exercise and Nutrition Survey [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Athlete Exercise and Nutrition Survey [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
filled out! good luck on the paper.

+1 :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
reneeharrington wrote:
I'm intending that this survey will narrow the focus more. This is the additional part I am doing to the actual research and will help provide basis for the research question. As an overall, I want to look at nutrition requirements for optimal performance in athletes (I'm still working to decide what specific athletic population and what specific nutritional aspect. I am trying to determine whether it's recovery focused on the nutrition needs prior to exercise). I will be doing performance testing in both strength and cardiovascular measures. So in all honesty, I'm still trying to work out the fine details for the study.

Completed, sounds like an interesting study.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Athlete Exercise and Nutrition Survey [re-fresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Athlete Exercise and Nutrition Survey [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
done..

when I raced ultramarathons etc I used to think about nutrition a lot more, as appropriate pre- and in-competition nutrition had measurable effects. I still remember when Leppin invented gels and the difference that made..

now as an old fat ex-athlete who does only short distances up to 2 hours, nutrition other than just basic healthy eating, seems entirely superfluous. I have to try to remember when actually racing the short distances, if I ever thought about it - not much is my recollection..
Last edited by: doug in co: Jan 13, 20 14:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi All -

I'm still collecting data for this survey. I have almost 550 responses and would like to have approx 200 more. I would appreciate anyone who fills it out and especially if you can share to your network of athlete friends/training groups etc.

- Renee
Quote Reply