Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

At what point should I stop weekly mileage increases for a marathon?
Quote | Reply
As of this week I am at 38mpw 5runs/wk. This is the most mileage I have done in a week. I've been solely E running for the last 2 months. Planning to crest 40 this week and January was going to mark the point where I was going to phase in some workouts. I've read thru some older threads on the topic and the consensus was that this mileage is kind of low.

My last open half marathon in May last year peaked me at 33mpw 3runs/wk. I finished in 1:25

The base running has been going well; completed a 4 miler event a few weeks ago in 23:28

Decided I'm going to do a marathon on April 9. Gives me about 14 weeks post Christmas. Plenty of time right?

I'd love to see sub 3 but I don't know what to expect at that distance, I think I could it. My longest run under my last coach was 15mi at HM pace +30s

So I've read thru Daniels running formula a bit, and will be referencing it a lot more now as the planning goes. I'm looking specifically at the 2Q plans he has in there, with all different ranges of MPW. At what point should I stop the mileage climb and use that number for the fraction of peak calculations? It looks like he has the last peak mileage around 5 weeks before the race.

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: At what point should I stop weekly mileage increases for a marathon? [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d say build as many miles as you can without feeling dead or getting injured. Hopefully you can safely get to at least 50 mpw. Once you add in longer miles on the weekend and a longer mid week run or double runs you’ll get to that 50 pretty “easily”. Then just a matter of how your body responds to that.

My Chicago marathon build I was running 7-9 times a week and about 65 miles. That was one 20+ mile run, a speed/tempo day which was a double run day as well. So did the 3 quality runs Daniels likes along with easy double run days to add mileage.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: At what point should I stop weekly mileage increases for a marathon? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right, I'll be adding at the very least 8 miles to my current long run of 12 miles today. Extending the 2 slower E runs won't be hard either
Then 2 Q runs gives me 5 wk

Do long runs count as Q runs?

Not sure about a 6th run day yet. Id have to drop my 5th swim but that's not a huge deal.

I'm very concerned with injury atm. Last year my left knee really bothered me for a while until I started shortening my stride and issues disappeared over night. Feeling strong at the moment though.

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Re: At what point should I stop weekly mileage increases for a marathon? [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to check on what you said here, you’re not sure about a sixth day of running because you’re swimming 5 times a week?
I think it comes down to what is more important to you, being the best runner you can or tri training over the next several months. If it’s running, you need to keep increasing your mileage and lower your pool time. If it’s tri training then keep swimming and do what you want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m pretty sure Daniels counts the long run as quality. I think it’s long, tempo, and interval are the 3 quality runs right? Then long run gets even more quality when you add in MP. Could be wrong but that’s kind of the plan I’ve used and will be using. Then I’ll in 5-8 mile easy runs on top of those. One of the midweek tempo runs will have a lunch double run of like 4-5 easy miles which adds mileage.

Didn’t know you’d be swimming/biking a lot so that might take needed energy away from running. I might get back to swimming one day a week to give legs a break one day.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: At what point should I stop weekly mileage increases for a marathon? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct, I'm still tri training. Since the season ended I've been swimming 5x and have made really good swim gains. I have no issue on killing a swim day. Only indoor cycling 3.5 hrs a week with about only 80min of actual work.

Mostly concerned with injury running another day.

Once the marathon is over it would be a great time to up the bike volume with the start of my tri season at the end of April and build for Eagleman

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Makes sense. I mean more mileage the better but adding another run on top of the swim/bike might be tough. And you would probably be fine just using the bike as your “run” day. As long as you’re not doing too many hard bike days on top of run days I’d think you’d be fine.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply